Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-15-2009
Gusmyster

::Profile::

Tank is acrylic, 3 years old, only used for freshwater, has filters. Should I be concerned about the weight bearing capacity of my first floor space that would house this tank if I bought it? I already have a 75 gallon acrylic in this space....how many of you would buy the 100 gallon in the off chance you may upgrade in the future?

Ohhhh.....it's such a slippery slope.....

Old 02-15-2009
JEM45

Gusmyster, Let me start off by saying Tenecor makes the "BEST" Acrylic Tanks in the World. But $800 is about what a New one is going for. It better come with Oak Stand & Canopy plus a very good filtration system. There's a Used 115 gal. Acrylic with Stand and Canopy for $350 on ebay right now. Just for comparision. About the weight factor, I had 180 gal. Tenecor on the 2nd floor of an apartment building years ago. Of coarse it was on an exterior wall just to be on the safe side. I think the price is just alittle steep. Just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2009
blkg35

I agree with Jem45, Tenecor makes the best acrylic tanks in the market. Although there are some other brands that are pretty close in quality. I would not buy the 100gal tank for $800, the price is too steep.
In California used 100gal acrylic tanks go for about $100-$150 (tank only), and $200-$300 as a complete package. These are not Tenecor brand but Clear for Life, SeaClear, TruVu etc... That's the going rate in Cali, I'm not sure about your area though. IMO, if you don't really need the 100gal tank yet then you should wait and a good deal will definitely come along.

I just recently picked up 2 100gal acrylic tank for $100each. These were tanks only but in excellent condition. There's definitely good deals out there, you just have to be patient....

Old 02-16-2009
Gusmyster

It's being sold with acrylic stand, hood, lights, built-in filtration, the whole works (Photo below). It also has a concave front. Maybe, I'll offer him 400-500 dollars for it.

Thanks for the very valuable feedback though.

Gusmyster
Old 02-16-2009
Mcfly

If I had a 75 gal tank set up already and I bought a 100 gal for a future upgrade, I would be upgrading to the new tank like right as soon as it got home. The set up looks nice, offer 50 to 100 bucks under what your comfortable paying and see what he counter offers.
Old 04-04-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

Hey... Gusmyster

What ever happened to this tank??

No one really answered a good question of load bearing limits...

if you are putting on a first floor on a side wall area that the foundation is on... not like a middle wall but an outside wall, then you can safely hold up to 300 gallon or more depending upon the flooring foundation. Look in your basement and see if you have two by six's or two by 8's. If they are 2 by 8's your good for up to 800 gallons.

The cool thing is that the weight is distributed on the four corners transferring to the bottom plate of the stand. The stand 4 corners are mostly holding the weight and often that part of that weight is on wall side which is stronger too.

All bets are off on this argument if your in a mobile home..... Then you have to add supports under..

All bets are off if your in an old old old old old old old... building or on a 2nd floor..

Other thing... Go to Craigslist and start looking for fish aquariums, aquarium, aquariums, fish tank, fish tanks. You have to enter each individual entry to get all of the listing available... and keep looking.. you will have some killer deals.. For 800 dollars you could possibly get three 125 gallon 6 foot long tanks with stands, hoods, filters, and so forth..

My two bits...

Bill
Old 04-04-2009
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

Do like Bill and LOW BALL him.

If it don't leak.....upgrade time!