Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 05-28-2014
reierje

::Profile::
Default Have no idea whats going on

So, one of the smaller maless in the tank has taken over about a third of the tank and chases any other fish who comes around the little rock grouping I have on that side. He is displaying colors and attempting to mate and has done so with several different fish. I am fairly certain he is not the Alpha, although this is a newer group, so who knows. He also isn't eating... I just want to make sure this is normal, new to the whole Troph world.
Old 05-28-2014
Mastiffman

What would make you believe he is not the alpha?
Old 05-28-2014
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

How long do you think its been since he ate last? Sounds to me he's the Alpha. He may be to distracted with breeding to eat so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Food for thought
Old 05-28-2014
reierje

The only reason I font think he's the Alpha is he is the smallest of the males... He does seem to be in charge though. He is chasing everyone, even after doing his dance he will chase the females.
Old 05-28-2014
reierje

It's the fest day of him not eating, lights turn on at 9, I did a WC this morning, before that, and now they are all super spawn-y. Just noticed the big male and the big female are in the big cave I have spawning and the same thing is happening on the other side of the tank.
Old 05-28-2014
Mastiffman

Oh.. Size is not everything to do with Alpha. It's the Most Aggressive that Makes the Cut to Alpha Status. I've seen smaller males go balistic on the tank and Rule without a doubt. Not often but it can happen.

Sounds like Typical trophs behavior to me. Just keep and eye on him. If you see him go recluse as well as others, Stop feeding and hit them with a 7 day Metro Regimen (daily water changes of 50%, Full dose of Metro every 8 hours, raise temps to 82-83* for 7 days)...
Old 05-28-2014
fishdisease

Send a message via Yahoo to fishdisease

It seems that you haven't a well balanced colony, including 2 or 3 males and 15-17 females. In this case it is certain that will almost never develop an alpha hiperdominant male! Otherwise, the small colonies, with almost equal numbers of male / females are susceptible of occurrence of an ultra-dominant male
Old 05-28-2014
reierje

It's a two year old colony, so it's pretty well balanced I think... 21 fish, 4-5 males the rest females... They have produced before, not for me, but I've only had them for a week. Thanks Mastiffman... I wasn't too concerned, but thought I would check to be sure.
Old 05-28-2014
Mastiffman

Glad to help and that's why the forum is here.
Old 05-28-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Thats totally normal behavior.

With a new colony, in a new tank, a different hierarchy order has a chance of being established.

Males that had not been alpha before can now capitalize on the temporary disorder.

Or maybe he is the original alpha, who knows.

Regardless, with everyone gunning for the top spot, he has made a wise decision and quickly chosen a rock... and is overly concerned with defending it. He has decided to hold onto it dearly until he has cemented himself into the alpha position. His long term rank depends upon this early establishment.

Soon, both he will get very hungry, and rank will be sorted, and he will all of a sudden eat like a maniac.

Normally takes about a week or two and therefor your male should be eating in no time.

Keep in mind, sick fish don't normally chase other fish away, aggressively defend rocks, court females etc.

Hes just doing normal tropheus stuff.

John