Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 04-11-2016
Thirtypack

::Profile::
Keeping: F1 Kabimba Canary, Malawi Haps and Peacocks
Default Question for you tumblers

First time stripper (lol) I got 5 healthy eggs from my yellow cheeks, happily tumbling away and seem to be progressing nicely. I am at about 15 days from fertilization now. How long do you guys/gals tumble before you remove them into main tank, grow out tank, etc. Also, at what point do you introduce food? Im assuming once the egg sack is completely depleted? I plan on just pulverizing some flake food. Thanks in advance for your responses.

PS. Wigglers are so gross... but oddly entertaining. Very exciting!
Old 04-11-2016
Thirtypack

Nobody?
Old 04-11-2016
thegoodlife

Keeping: Mpulungu, Halembe, Kiriza Kaiser II

Once the egg sack is absorbed, I put them into grow out tanks or breeder nets/nurseries for ease of feeding...Once they are 1.5" or so I will release them in a much larger tank...Since recently downsizing all my small tanks, I've started releasing fry at smaller sizes with plenty of hiding spots in the grow out tanks...Works for me but I don't necessarily recommend it...
Old 04-11-2016
Thirtypack

Thanks cor the reply. I was specifically wondering when tumbling is no longer required. Do you tumble until the egg sack is depleted?
Old 04-12-2016
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtypack View Post
Thanks cor the reply. I was specifically wondering when tumbling is no longer required. Do you tumble until the egg sack is depleted?
I tumble until the sac is almost depleted, and then I release into the fry tank just before lights out (if there are other fry in there). They usually hide for the first day, but once they are out they aggressively feed on crushed spirulina flake (I add some crushed Omega One color flake because it has wild caught salmon, good protein for their first month). The ideal is baby brine shrimp, but I've had great success with crushed flake, and crushed up New Era Algae Pellets.

This is how I've raised the last batches of Lufubu fry, but with my Lime Spot fry I've gone Pam Chin style, stripping at day 18, putting them in a strainer that sits on the top corner of the main tank, and i can feed them for the first three weeks, let them grow in there, and then release to main tank....easier!
Old 04-12-2016
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

My tumblers are put in the main tank and the fry let me know when they are ready to feed by pecking at food particles when feeding the main colony. This usually starts as soon as they are strong enough to swim around, usually some egg sack left. At this point I'll open the sponge filter on the tumbler and the fry can start feeding on any good particles that flow into the tumbler when I feed the main tank. I move them to a breeder box in the main tank as well once the egg sack is completely gone, at that point they start getting a little crushed flake. At about an inch I release them into the main tank or put them in a large grow out tank.

I highly recommend waiting an extra couple weeks before stripping and avoiding tumbling all together. Starting with free swimmers from the start is just so much easier. I only tumble now when I get multiple females holding and mix them up and end up with eggs on accident.
Old 04-12-2016
thegoodlife

Keeping: Mpulungu, Halembe, Kiriza Kaiser II

I tumble till almost all of the egg sack is absorbed as well...Usually around the time when they are swimming fairly well and are searching the upper and lower levels of the tumbler for food particles...
Old 04-19-2016
Thirtypack

So I lost two fry in the tumbler today still have egg sacs. It looked like the 3 live one's were picking at the other two? Are they already showing aggression at this size? Moved three survivors to a grow out, but not sure why the other two died? Hopefully they make it. I wasn't prepared. Thought I had another week before I needed to move them. Is this common?
Old 04-22-2016
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtypack View Post
So I lost two fry in the tumbler today still have egg sacs. It looked like the 3 live one's were picking at the other two? Are they already showing aggression at this size? Moved three survivors to a grow out, but not sure why the other two died? Hopefully they make it. I wasn't prepared. Thought I had another week before I needed to move them. Is this common?
It's hard to know for sure but they could have been killed by the others, not because of aggression but because of hunger. I've noticed if you get some falling behind in size, the others will start pecking at them, and they will kill them and eat them. That's one of the biggest hassles I've had with young fry, they have to be housed with almost the exact same size until they get closer to the one inch size.
Old 04-23-2016
Thirtypack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
It's hard to know for sure but they could have been killed by the others, not because of aggression but because of hunger. I've noticed if you get some falling behind in size, the others will start pecking at them, and they will kill them and eat them. That's one of the biggest hassles I've had with young fry, they have to be housed with almost the exact same size until they get closer to the one inch size.
Well it was from the same batch of fry, very similar in size. Still had egg sacks so im curious about hunger. Ive read a couple of posts from others saying they up the air flow and bounce them a little more vigorously so that they really are never still enough to damage each other. With so little fry being produced, every one counts, as im trying to increase my colony a bit, hopefully they wont be killed at introduction to the main tank? Thanks for your replies