Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 10-12-2009
soonwoon

::Profile::

When is the best time to strip (if one decides to strip)? Tried on my female 3days after first holding. Ending up 6/8 eggs turn white... Now only two survived with tailed and eyes in a tumbler.

Do you let them hold for 1-2-3weeks until more developed? Fear of swallowing during that time? The aggression towards that female was limited in my 5ft and colony size. Perhaps I should let her hold till full term but dont think my rockscape allows fries to survive... :unsure:

Old 10-12-2009
TROPHS4LIFE

Keeping: Kasanga

id wait 28 days from when you first see her holding,works perfect for me,fully developed fry,just a touch longer than your typical malawi,pull her at night,strip,and return to main tank,haven't had any issues yet,but sometimes you can really put a damper on your breeding by stripping,so only do it if you want to maximize your fry return....................
i never bother tumbling eggs,unless your trying to save a spit mouthfull,and i wouldnt worry about them swallowing them,im sure they will just spit them,if they dont know the ropes yet............
Chad

CHAD

Old 10-12-2009
punman

I kind of agree with the last post. I think you could strip at 21 days.
If I strip them as eggs, even with my tumbler I only have a 50% success rate.
If I strip them with head and tail showing with the egg, tumbling is quite successful.
I try to wait 21 days or more but sometimes grab the wrong female.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
Old 10-12-2009
soonwoon

thanks guys...
Old 10-12-2009
aleksakg

You can strip them at about 7 day.This would be the time showing tails and eys.If you have a thumbler at 30C, there would be no problem (two times repeated experiment).All this in case all eggs showing eye and tail / the white one are probably not "completely done" (can't remember correct word in english) by male.
Old 10-12-2009
blkg35

I usually strip at 21 days and end up with 7-9 frys. Frys have a tiny sac left but pretty much free swimming already. I just keep them in the tumbler until the egg sac are gone then they go into their own tank.
Old 10-12-2009
dww-law

If you are not a retailer, pile some rocks in the tank and let them spit in the tank. You would be surprised how many fry survive.

Old 10-13-2009
marksp

dww - dead right

If you running a semi commercial breeding operation then strip the fry. Piles of pebbles, for spitting and cobbles placed next to each other to give fissures the fry can hide in as they get a bit bigger works pretty well. I have plenty of fry and I don't have to keep trying to catch a few fish every couple of weeks with all the excitement that causes.

BTW if you do strip do you put all the holding fish in the same tank or, a tank each?
Old 10-13-2009
soonwoon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marksp @ Oct 13 2009, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
dww - dead right

If you running a semi commercial breeding operation then strip the fry. Piles of pebbles, for spitting and cobbles placed next to each other to give fissures the fry can hide in as they get a bit bigger works pretty well. I have plenty of fry and I don't have to keep trying to catch a few fish every couple of weeks with all the excitement that causes.

BTW if you do strip do you put all the holding fish in the same tank or, a tank each?[/b]

I tumble them in the same big tank but plan to move them to a growth tank eventually. Also, any picture of your piles? Problem is my rockscape consists of big stones... :unsure:
Old 10-13-2009
dww-law

[/quote]

I tumble them in the same big tank but plan to move them to a growth tank eventually. Also, any picture of your piles? Problem is my rockscape consists of big stones... :unsure:
[/quote]

Here is a picture of my piles with some fry