Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk General discussion of Petrochromis and Simochromis.

Old 03-30-2009
Captain Obvious

::Profile::

Hey gang,

Need some input here...the WC Famula Bluefin I picked up from Mike decided to spawn the past few days, currently have two ladies holding.
Wondering if I should pull them out and strip them or let them continue to hold?
They are not receiving abuse, the colony is fairly mellow...males have a chat every now and again but nothing beyond occassional lip locking tussles.
Have not had any murders to date.

Thanks for any input!
Old 03-30-2009
mobafry123

Send a message via Yahoo to mobafry123

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain Obvious @ Mar 30 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Hey gang,

Need some input here...the WC Famula Bluefin I picked up from Mike decided to spawn the past few days, currently have two ladies holding.
Wondering if I should pull them out and strip them or let them continue to hold?
They are not receiving abuse, the colony is fairly mellow...males have a chat every now and again but nothing beyond occassional lip locking tussles.
Have not had any murders to date.

Thanks for any input![/b]
to strip or not to strip is completely up to you.i strip because i think you get more fry that way.just let them hold until day 15-20 and then strip.i'm sure others will disagree,but i do what works best for me!!!
Old 03-30-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

I'm in agreement with Brian (russ) especially after about the 12th day. There are more fry this way...

My two bits
Bill
Old 03-31-2009
peterp63

Not to strip. I have a colony of F1 Famula Chimba from Jolley's WC's. He let them hold to term and spit freely. I've done the same and have had lots of luck with breeding. The fry swim and eat with the adults with no problem... yet. They're growing fast and I'm planning to move them to their own tank. Find the latest video of these guys in this thread:

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/show...311&page=10

And, as you'll read if you keep researching... some people believe that if you strip the offspring may not be able to breed and hold successfully and they will not be as strong as if you did let them hold to term and spit on their own. But, of course, it's your choice!
Old 03-31-2009
marksp

If they are breeding OK, I would let it run its course. If things don't go so well, you can always strip next month.

It is your choice but I really hate catching and stripping fish. It is more stressful for me than it is for them
Old 03-31-2009
mobafry123

hey peter,
that is a very cool video,and a great bunch of famula!!!
i,m still going to strip though.when i went and picked up the moops the guy had only 3 fry in with them.on a random day i decided to strip and got 28 fry,so in your case it worked very well,but not the same for everybody.on my current income the only way to buy more fish is to sell fry,so i cant take the chance on letting them hold to term.
Old 03-31-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

I started stripping in the mid 70's. NO NO NO.. I was not a pole dancer either...

My first batches of Lab. trwe's and fuellborni. I guess I did this for a variety of reasons... Condition of the mother. More fry. Was able to get the mother back into the main tank in a more healthier condition as she did not starve and in those days, the amount of eggs they were holding was huge. Many times I would get large numbers of 40 to 70 fry out of the Malawi's group. My fish were pretty big at that time.. I had 5 to 7 inches trwe and fuelli's.

I think the idea of a fry that has been stripped will not know how to carry their own is kinda unsupported. I have not seen any studies or reports on it.. There are the various talks but yet it just does not seem to be wholly substantiated.

Just my ole two bits
Bill
Old 03-31-2009
mobafry123

i think the talk about fry growing up and not knowing how to breed or hold is a bunch of crap,but what do i know.i dont ever let my fish spit in the tank.i guess that makes me bias in my opinnion. :Thinking:
Old 03-31-2009
dww-law

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(russ @ Mar 31 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
i think the talk about fry growing up and not knowing how to breed or hold is a bunch of crap,but what do i know.i dont ever let my fish spit in the tank.i guess that makes me bias in my opinnion. :Thinking:[/b]
I don't know much about stripping. I have never done it. I let my colony spit in the tank and I have more fry than I can sell at times. However, I do know a little bit about imprinting. Fish are primitive creatures who survive only on instinct. Their purpose is to procreate. They eat and procreate. Because of this, imprinting is a critical component of survival. My point being that stripping or not stripping can have an impact on imprinting. Therefore, we can logically conclude that stripping an adult tropheus can and will have an impact on whether future fry will hold to term. This scientific deduction. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone stripping females since the female will never be released back into the wild and are simply in a tank for our enjoyment, or for those breeders, money. I am not a breeder for money so I don't strip because it is a pain for me. However, from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense to strip to get the most fry. Just my two cents.
Old 04-01-2009
peterp63

Well said.

+1