Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 09-11-2010
Doc_Polit

::Profile::

I recently picked up a reef-ready 180-gallon tank with stand and 90-gallon sump for an absolute steal.

When complete this will be home to my colony of 34 F1 Tropheus sp. Bulu Point "Cherry Spots". I will be adding 20 F1 Tropheus from a separate blood line and 8 F0/F1 Tanganyikan Goby Cichlids.

Gonna journal the process....

Here is my stand (1.5" steel tubing) after it got sand-blasted to bare metal and received an awesome gloss white powder coat.

My tank.

Another look at the tank.

Completely removed the black, plastic top trim.

For anyone that has struggled removing trim, this worked like a charm.

Did I mention that the blade is really sharp? What is a DIY project with no blood-shed? :lol:

This is as it sits right now. I have completely removed the center brace and euro-bracing to ease installation of the background.

Needless to say, all the trim and glass removal (combined with the residual substrate left by the previous owner) has resulted in a huge mess inside the tank. The clean-up comes next. More pics to come once I make some relevant progress.
Old 09-14-2010
Doc_Polit

After literally hours of scrubbing the tank is finally clean. I used acetone, pro-strength glass cleaner and about 75 razor blades. :blink:

The odd lines on the right portion of this shot are silicone stain on the inner overflow glass. It is no issue as I will be covering it with black acrylic.

The grungy part of this project is finally done......on to the fun stuff.
Old 09-14-2010
Heather

Cool thread, looking forward to watching it all come together ^_^
Old 09-27-2010
Doc_Polit

Well, things got slightly delayed due to business travel. Gotta hate it when your job interferes with your DIY tank project. :blink:
Old 10-06-2010
Doc_Polit

Not much of an update yet.....sorry.

I discovered that the rip fence on my table saw likes to "wander" and is making accurate cuts nearly impossible.

Rather than continuing to fight with it I decided to make cut jigs (4' and 8') for my circular saw. This is the 4'.

They are made from 1/2" MDF and have cut-outs for clamping. There is also 80-grit sand paper glued to the bottom surface to keep them from sliding.
Old 10-22-2010
jamey_cc

I had the same problem with my rip fence... I bought some clamps that I clamp to the edges of the table to keep it still and it works like a charm again... Bit of a pain, but in the face of buying more fish stuff or buying a new table, I'll go fish stuff and patch work the shop til I can't anymore

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc_Polit @ Oct 6 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Not much of an update yet.....sorry.

I discovered that the rip fence on my table saw likes to "wander" and is making accurate cuts nearly impossible.

Rather than continuing to fight with it I decided to make cut jigs (4' and 8') for my circular saw. This is the 4'.They are made from 1/2" MDF and have cut-outs for clamping. There is also 80-grit sand paper glued to the bottom surface to keep them from sliding.[/b]
Old 10-22-2010
jamey_cc

Are you planning on adding something to the upper rim again or are you going rimless? I always wondered if that plastic stuff around the top edge was needed or if it was just aesthetic, and if it IS needed, what do they do different on rimless tanks to not need it?
Old 01-04-2011
Doc_Polit

Unfortunately, I cannot continue this thread as I ended up selling the tank (mid-completion) shortly before Christmas.

On to an undetermined (as yet) Tropheus project sometime down the road.