Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 12-24-2014
sweetTrophs

::Profile::
Keeping: Moliro Red 300 Liter 20pcs 3 to 4 inch/ Bemba 20pcs with Duboisi 8 (2M/5F) 300 Liter
Idea keeping the holding bulu point in a 7 gallon tank alone

Dear Experts,

I had an idea but i want your advise on it..

I will move the holding female to my hospital tank till she spit by herself and raise the kids upto 1 inch and then get a bigger 55G tank and start a new colony with mother, kids and add 12 1.5 inch moliro who will get along with bulu point kids then after 2 to 4 days add the father also i hope the mother wont eat the fry... or any better advise...

thanks in advance...
Old 12-24-2014
lmod58

Send a message via MSN to lmod58

i would not keep the mother or the father with the fry , the parent fish need to be in there tank and the fry should not be mixed with other types of trophs as you will not be able to tell them apart for a year or more. if you think she will spit the eggs then strip her, i never moved a holding fish to another tank . by stripping the female her next spawn will be sooner in most cases. if you plan to sell fry then you should only have 1 type of adults to a tank so there is no chance of cross breeding and the fry should have there own tank to keep from mixing.
Old 12-25-2014
sweetTrophs

Keeping: Moliro Red 300 Liter 20pcs 3 to 4 inch/ Bemba 20pcs with Duboisi 8 (2M/5F) 300 Liter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmod58 View Post
i would not keep the mother or the father with the fry , the parent fish need to be in there tank and the fry should not be mixed with other types of trophs as you will not be able to tell them apart for a year or more. if you think she will spit the eggs then strip her, i never moved a holding fish to another tank . by stripping the female her next spawn will be sooner in most cases. if you plan to sell fry then you should only have 1 type of adults to a tank so there is no chance of cross breeding and the fry should have there own tank to keep from mixing.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it... i don't have a tank of the parents its a full time mix and i am planning to get a new one so separate few type of sp black... i saw her holding on the 22nd yesterday i moved her out as she was the only bulu point female being harassed by all other males n she was getting stressed so i plan to move her out to my 30 liters hospital tank and will do 40% water change 2 times a week or 1 time if 2 times are too much to change in a small tank?

so if she spit by her own and live with her kids will she eat them or should i prepare a new tank with in 2 weeks and shift her there and let the eggs stay in then tank i do not want to sell... no buyers here i tried selling the 5 inch father bulu point for only 20$ and no one wants to buy lol
Old 12-25-2014
sweetTrophs

Default Should i stop feed as she is not eating???

the Holding female stop eating so should i stop feeding so that the filters dont get choked due to food and cause problem???
Old 12-25-2014
stav178

Keeping: T.Duboisi, T.Lufubu

I wouldn't advise you to remove the female from the colony, if she has only been holding since the 22nd you would be better to leave as is. I have found that when females are holding they do get "picked on" more due to them not being able to fight back, but the holding female will try to keep out of the way, either behind a rock or corner of the tank. I haven't had a problem of others eating fry except where the tankmates have been large Petros. Tropheus and Simochromis seem to be indifferent to the fry(who just hide among the rocks).

Hope this helps.
T.sp."Bemba"
T.sp."Moliro"
T.sp."Tanzania Murago"
Old 12-25-2014
lmod58

Send a message via MSN to lmod58

the fry should be in there own tank till there bigger so the adult trophs don`t beat them or eat them . i no it is not eazy when you setup 1 tank and you see all the different types of fish from africa and you want some of each. if your doing that then do a all male tank but trophs do not like to be a single fish or a pair in a tank as they are group fish, they like to be 15 to 20 of the same fish to a tank . a 20 gallon tall tank will work as a grow out with a number 4 sponge filter that runs off of a air pump will work great for the fry with a heater and a lite. and do a 60 to 75 % water change every week on it.
Old 12-25-2014
sweetTrophs

Yes I agree with you n I did all male malawi don't like them now.
I want to keep groups I read if I keep 10 moliro sp red 10 ikola or Bemba sp black and 10 Duboisi it's will work in a 75g tank but with trophs you need a lot of patients to grow them n then after a yr the result show ... I will get another tank n start with juve, but what I have now is very confusing let's see how I manage it , thanks for the advise I'll look up for a 20g n put the main tank water in it no need to recycle
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetTrophs For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (12-25-2014)