Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 08-19-2015
Mastiffman

::Profile::
Default Wild Tanzania Murago "Spawning" video

Hello gang!

Hope all is well with everyone!

My Tanzanian Murago group is doing well with the exception of typical Tropheus aggression. They have spawned a few times now and it seems to be picking. In so much that I was able to finally catch them spawning! So I decided to record it and share it with you all.

You can really see the maroon coloration in the scales in this video as well as some red on the chest/belly area, blue around the mouth and nice speckles on the males head. It's hard to see in this video but they speckles are off white on the top portion of the head and transition to nice aqua coloration below the eyes and into the throat! There is some pretty interesting action in the video but the male continues to get the job done. I would like to move them to a 6ft tank eventually but I will have to move some other colonies for this to happen. I won't really even need to worry to much about it until the younger trophs in the tank put more size on. Currently they are about 2.25"- 2.5". So there's till a bit of time.

Enjoy!

Don't forget to watch the video in HD.

Old 08-19-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Awesome video Drew. I saw this group in person on Sunday. They're a very unique and beautiful troph. Sure is some very keen young bucks trying to get in on the action there. Interesting to see the momma continuing to pick & graze with a big gob full of fresh eggs. Great to see their numbers increasing so as to provide a stable number of captive bred fish for hobbyists to enjoy here in the US. Good one Drew! Keep me comin
Old 08-19-2015
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Looking good!
Old 08-19-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Awesome video Drew. I saw this group in person on Sunday. They're a very unique and beautiful troph. Sure is some very keen young bucks trying to get in on the action there. Interesting to see the momma continuing to pick & graze with a big gob full of fresh eggs. Great to see their numbers increasing so as to provide a stable number of captive bred fish for hobbyists to enjoy here in the US. Good one Drew! Keep me comin
I agree, they are a very beautifully unique fish to have! I like the maroon coloration and the speckles on the head really make them stand out as Tropheus. There used to be more speckles on specific trophues so being that this trait is almost gone on all except the3 muragos, it's a unique and desired feature, IMO. The current Alpha male even has a slightly light area on his flakes. Not quite like a sunspot though. But it's noticeable.

All of the adult fish in the colony, when viewed regularly, almost have this shimmering silver undertone to their scales. too. Like an iridescent look.
Very Cool!

Yes! I won't have to worry about finding another male to step out of the original 12 WC once the young females get big enough to start spawning. I'll keep the current alpha around though in another tank and possible start up group. Depending on the activity of the other colony on this site.

Dennis.... You there Buddy? How's your colony doing? Haven't heard much from you recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Looking good!
Thanks John.
Old 08-19-2015
dirt4949

Keeping: Chilambo,bemba,kaiserII,Green Murago,Brown Murago

Yes i am still here and my murago group is doing excellent. they are doing the dance but females are not conditioned yet hopefully soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirt4949 For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015
Mastiffman

Good stuff!