Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 12-09-2014
cricket355

::Profile::
Keeping: Pemba orange flame
Default Algaemax

Hi,
Have always stayed away from NLS and I know there are many here who love it. Now, I am thinking of trying the new type of NLS Algaemax.
Has anyone here tried it yet?

Ingredients:
Algae Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Whole Artic Krill, Whole Fish, Eucheuma Cottontt, Spinosum Seaweed, Chondrus Crispus, Whole Wheat Flour, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Astaxanthin, Capsanthin, Zeaxanthin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Derrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate. GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 32% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 10% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

Please give your opinion?
Thank you,
cricket
Old 12-09-2014
Mastiffman

Never used myself but the ingredients and GA look pretty good.

Most important thing while switching foods is to take is slowly.

I done tests on fry and discovered that I can stop one food and start another bluntly if the new food is made into a powder and fed at the tiniest pinch once a day for about 2 weeks, slowly increasing the pinch size after week two and then onto the pellets from there...

But if you want to keep them fed well, may as well continue the use of their current food gradually adding the new.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
cricket355 (12-13-2014)
Old 12-09-2014
bluezebraman

Keeping: WC RR KASANGA,WC DUBOISI

I've used it exclusively with my wild caught colonies and it's good ,never had bloat or anything when feeding with this product only..seems to digest very well , hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluezebraman For This Useful Post:
JkdJedi (12-09-2014), Mastiffman (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

I have used it at a 33% mix with omega veggie and dainichi veggie fx, no issues. I have recently stopped using it and added the dainichi veggie in its place. My red Rainbows seem to be looking better.

The numbers look good, I would like more input as well. The pellets were very small and it is as expensive as dainichi.
Old 12-10-2014
bluezebraman

Keeping: WC RR KASANGA,WC DUBOISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971ls6 View Post
I have used it at a 33% mix with omega veggie and dainichi veggie fx, no issues. I have recently stopped using it and added the dainichi veggie in its place. My red Rainbows seem to be looking better.

The numbers look good, I would like more input as well. The pellets were very small and it is as expensive as dainichi.
I totally agree with you on this one , my red rainbows colors didn't really pop as much when feeding only Algemax but the dianachi veggie pellets did help to make the colors look better.
Old 12-11-2014
cricket355

Default Algaemax

Want to thank all for responses. I am satisfied with the GA( as Andrew mentioned) so I did order it. I am not sure of size of pellets, and since I will be feeding to Ulwile fry, I probably will grind it up to a smaller size. I am going to combine this with the flake food they are eating now. Adding very slowly.
I have always used flake food with my tropheus. I am, as I am sure a lot here are bloat paranoid. Once was enough for me.
Switching to pellets appeal to me because of other posts here about less mess in their tanks.

If anyone else would like to add their opinion of this food please do. It is appreciated.

Thank you,
cricket
Old 12-11-2014
noddy

I was going to order some but the price was ridiculous. I decided to stick with NLS thera+A at half the price. Too bad really, as it seems like a decent food.
Old 12-11-2014
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

I've used it for all my trophs for about three months now I think. I feed it exclusivly. I have been feeding it once a day but the last week I upped it to twice daily. No problems so far and I've been feeding the heaviest I've ever tried because I'd like to increase growth rate and I have my groups in nice large tanks now so im not as worried about nitrates. They actually seem to be more active and doing better with the increase of food. Still too early to know for sure though.

For the people complaining about price, I'm not sure what you consider expensive but I found it on ebay for $16 a 250g container, free shipping. I'd have to look up the seller because I dont remember off hand but it's a business so they should have it available on there regularly. I think thats a pretty fair price, its almost double that at my lfs. It will last me a long time so considering how expensive these fish are I think thats cheap and well worth paying if it keeps the fish healthy. I've been tempted to try feeding flake but I feel it would be much more messy and wastefull, plus why change if something works well.
Old 12-12-2014
noddy

Re: Price. I pay $70.00 for a pail of NLS, I was quoted $140.00 for the same size pail of Algaemax from the same seller.
Old 12-12-2014
cricket355

I am not familiar with the usual price of nls food but, I have seen Algaemax on ebay 125g ranging from $11.99 free shipping to about $16 including shipping. I ordered from kens and paid $16 +ship.
Yes. Pellets are small but, I wouldn't feed adult or fry troph. with a bigger pellet. Just my opinion.

Cricket