Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-24-2010
JkdJedi

::Profile::

I was doing some research on adding a new dish to the menu.
I found that in NLS every other ingredient (if not all of them) ended with the controversial "MEAL"
Yet in Omega One flakes you get nothing but "WHOLE" ingredients. Which in my opinion makes the Omega the purist of the 2 comparisons.

Either way I ordered both to see what my buddies (my scaled w/fins buddies) have to say about them.
Old 01-24-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Jan 24 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I found that in NLS every other ingredient (if not all of them) ended with the controversial "MEAL"
Yet in Omega One flakes you get nothing but "WHOLE" ingredients. Which in my opinion makes the Omega the purist of the 2 comparisons.

Either way I ordered both to see what my buddies (my scaled w/fins buddies) have to say about them.
[/b]
I'm still doing research on this and I'm finding that the term "meal" under some ingredients is not all that bad. Your just getting the bones and oil added. I'm thinking something like hot dogs are made, with the eyes and lips etc. I found a link to explain this a little better

terms.http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa122
Old 01-25-2010
noddy

I used Omega flakes once (forget the type).
I stopped using it because I got sick of seeing my cyps and featherfins choking on all the pieces of bone and cartlidge. I can't imagine this would be a problem with a veggie type flake but, either way, they will never get any more of my hard earned cash.
Old 01-25-2010
tom_patriot

I use both NLS cichlid pellets and Omega One Super Veggie flakes. Have for about a year now. Feed both every meal. Note: I use Super Veggie flakes only as Omega's "standard" veggie flake ingredient list doesn't get to "veggies" until the fourth or fifth ingredient. The first two or three ingredients in Super Veggie is veggie.
Old 01-25-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom_patriot @ Jan 25 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I use both NLS cichlid pellets and Omega One Super Veggie flakes. Have for about a year now. Feed both every meal. Note: I use Super Veggie flakes only as Omega's "standard" veggie flake ingredient list doesn't get to "veggies" until the fourth or fifth ingredient. The first two or three ingredients in Super Veggie is veggie.[/b]

Thanks, I caught that after ordering it and am now trying to get the Super Veggie flakes instead of the so called veggie flakes, wierd that they call it that when like you said it's the fourth ingredeint listed.
Old 01-25-2010
tom_patriot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Jan 25 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom_patriot @ Jan 25 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
I use both NLS cichlid pellets and Omega One Super Veggie flakes. Have for about a year now. Feed both every meal. Note: I use Super Veggie flakes only as Omega's "standard" veggie flake ingredient list doesn't get to "veggies" until the fourth or fifth ingredient. The first two or three ingredients in Super Veggie is veggie.[/b]

Thanks, I caught that after ordering it and am now trying to get the Super Veggie flakes instead of the so called veggie flakes, wierd that they call it that when like you said it's the fourth ingredeint listed.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I noticed it on a number of "veggie" flakes from other sources as well. They call them veggie or spirulina flakes yet the top ingredient is "whole salmon meal"
Old 01-25-2010
supadave

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Jan 24 2010, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:

[/b]
Where exactly on the NLS label are you reading "Meal" on the ingredients. I'm looking at my 5lb. bucket of Thera+A and I don't see anything under the ingredients that states "Meal". But I also looked at a small jar of NLS Grow and it only has meal listed as "Algae Meal".
Old 01-25-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(supadave @ Jan 25 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Jan 24 2010, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:

[/b]
Where exactly on the NLS label are you reading "Meal" on the ingredients. I'm looking at my 5lb. bucket of Thera+A and I don't see anything under the ingredients that states "Meal". But I also looked at a small jar of NLS Grow and it only has meal listed as "Algae Meal".
[/b][/quote]

This is on their website.

All ingredients used are almost identical, since we cannot find anything better than what we are using. However, the crude analysis will be different due to the percentage of ingredients incorporated into a specific formula.

Typical Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Choline Chloride.
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=co...2&Itemid=60
Old 01-25-2010
salaczar

secrets of label decoding:
"whole ____ meal" = "whole ____"
Old 01-26-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(salaCzar @ Jan 25 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
secrets of label decoding:
"whole ____ meal" = "whole ____"[/b]
Well, that's good to know...................

Thanks