Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 03-30-2016
wharfrat

::Profile::
Keeping: Ikola
Default Thinking about returning to Trophs

Well, I consolidated all my cichlid tanks and high tech planted tank into a 60cube mixed SPS/LPS reef while I was engaged for the sake of sanity and space...had plenty of herps at the time too...oh boy now I am Dis-engaged and well...want another tank..I miss these little guys more than any other species of fish that I have kept. I pondered starting a discus tank in addition to the reef then remembered I had an Ikola troph colony for about 6 mos and absolutely loved it. Personality > Discus for me right now. Plus tap water...substrate, rockwork...seems more appealing than a BB tank.

Well I need a few suggestions.

I most likely will only have room for a 75g, I could maybe find another 90g and make it fit...but its gonna be hard...I sold my other one. Could I have success with a 75?...I mean my reef is impeccable. I generally over filter and have OCD husbandry when it comes to fish keeping...hence, why i was thinking trying my hand at Discus.

Next, what kind? As awesome as Ikola's are I have already kept them. I was thinking maybe Kasanga, Illangi, or Lufubu? Any opinions? The guy I order from has these available. No Moogs? or Murago...

Should I get a plumbed tank with a sump and put reactors on it...or just go with 2 trusty eheims?

IMHO if a percula clown and Bi-Color Blenny had a FW Spawn that lived in colonies...it would be a Troph. Actually I think it was watching my Bi-Color Blenny that made me miss these lil guys. Anyways...suggestions are welcome fellas...ladies
Old 04-01-2016
flyn dutchmn

Keeping: WC mpulungu, F? Ilangi, F1 Duboisi Halembe

A 70 or 90 gallon tank would probably have similar footprints. Lots of people on here have success with 70 gallon breeder tanks. I have moops in a 90 gallon and Illangi in a 70 gallon. I prefer the extra height the 90 gallon gives my trophs, especially when the tank gets more crowded with fry/juvies.

All 3 of the types available to you will produce fry that are very popular. Personally, I'd try to find room for the following colonies.

Muzimu
Polli
Bulu Point
Yellow or Green Murago

If your handy enough to setup a sump(unlike myself), I'd recommend it. I believe it will be easier to manage when the bio load becomes big. I use a canister/HOB combo and have to aim for around 12-14x turnover to keep up.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2016
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
Well, I consolidated all my cichlid tanks and high tech planted tank into a 60cube mixed SPS/LPS reef while I was engaged for the sake of sanity and space...had plenty of herps at the time too...oh boy now I am Dis-engaged and well...want another tank..I miss these little guys more than any other species of fish that I have kept. I pondered starting a discus tank in addition to the reef then remembered I had an Ikola troph colony for about 6 mos and absolutely loved it. Personality > Discus for me right now. Plus tap water...substrate, rockwork...seems more appealing than a BB tank.

Well I need a few suggestions.

I most likely will only have room for a 75g, I could maybe find another 90g and make it fit...but its gonna be hard...I sold my other one. Could I have success with a 75?...I mean my reef is impeccable. I generally over filter and have OCD husbandry when it comes to fish keeping...hence, why i was thinking trying my hand at Discus.

Next, what kind? As awesome as Ikola's are I have already kept them. I was thinking maybe Kasanga, Illangi, or Lufubu? Any opinions? The guy I order from has these available. No Moogs? or Murago...

Should I get a plumbed tank with a sump and put reactors on it...or just go with 2 trusty eheims?

IMHO if a percula clown and Bi-Color Blenny had a FW Spawn that lived in colonies...it would be a Troph. Actually I think it was watching my Bi-Color Blenny that made me miss these lil guys. Anyways...suggestions are welcome fellas...ladies
Kasanga looks great in bare tanks, and what the above suggestion of Murago and or Bulu Points are a nice one to go with. 2 ehiems coould work, or 1 ehiem and 1 AquaClear 110. Good Luck!