Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2015
Boko
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why are they fake breeding?!

Hey guys,

I've seen my trophs fake breeding probably over 20 times in 1 month. What I mean is they do the dance and shaking but no eggs are dropped. Only once have I seen eggs and those where gone in 1 day.

Why are they doing this? I get so disappointing when this happens
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2015
#1 Cichlids's Avatar
#1 Cichlids
Status: Offline
Site Advisor
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NEWYORK
Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps
Posts: 687
Thanks: 89
Thanked 120 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Sounds like a young group and a lot of practicing before they follow through with there dance..Good luck.
__________________
Water changes are a fish best friend Cichlid Power!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2015
Vman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Vancouver
Keeping: Kasanga
Posts: 227
Thanks: 40
Thanked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Images: 1
Default

I came breed all the time. It's fun and feels good. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2015
rufretic's Avatar
rufretic
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marengo IL
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Posts: 166
Thanks: 49
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Images: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I came breed all the time. It's fun and feels good. Lol.
Lol, I agree, breeding for fun is the only way I like doing it these days :-).

In all seriousness, I think it's normal to start breeding with little to no results before they figure things out and finish maturing. All of mine have done the same thing. Just be happy they are breeding already, now just be patient and you'll start getting fry sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2015
thegoodlife's Avatar
thegoodlife
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spring/The Woodlands Tx
Keeping: Mpulungu, Halembe, Kiriza Kaiser II
Posts: 67
Thanks: 25
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

It's a slow process for sure...My Mpulungu started breeding a few moths ago and I only have 2 babies to show so far...Most females won't hold past 5 days due to the eggs not getting properly fertilized I suppose...They will figure it out soon and you will have tons of fry before you know it...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2015
Boko
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Allright thanks guys! They allready have fry but just two, so i guess ur right in that they are trying to figure it out Patience isn't my greatest skill xD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2015
baby puffer's Avatar
baby puffer
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Keeping: Cyprichromis, Paracyps, Electric Yellows, Guppies, Tropheus Mpulungu, cyp kigoma
Posts: 63
Thanks: 12
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Images: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
Allright thanks guys! They allready have fry but just two, so i guess ur right in that they are trying to figure it out Patience isn't my greatest skill xD
Thats like me...im so impatient when it comes to getting fry, yet i buy the slowest growing fish....
__________________
It's always sunny in my aquariums!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2015
Boko
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well time to update, I have two holding dubois and one murago. Murago is fresh from today and the others are 2-3 days ago and there patches is shrinking and they are eating small amounts of flake.. Lets hope they don't swallow all eggs. I actually ordered a egg tumbler from china on eBay a month ago. Haven t turned up yet
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2015
rufretic's Avatar
rufretic
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marengo IL
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Posts: 166
Thanks: 49
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Images: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
Well time to update, I have two holding dubois and one murago. Murago is fresh from today and the others are 2-3 days ago and there patches is shrinking and they are eating small amounts of flake.. Lets hope they don't swallow all eggs. I actually ordered a egg tumbler from china on eBay a month ago. Haven t turned up yet
If they are swallowing them you may want to try stripping them a little sooner than normal. I've been having the same issues with my young groups. First couple females holding swallowed all the eggs in a couple days. So I tried stripping as soon as I spotted the next two and that just got me a bunch of unfertilized eggs. So the last few rounds I've tried waiting as long as possible until I notice they are swallowing them. 5-7 days has got me the most fry so far. Some females have been down to only a couple left but at least they are wigglers. They are getting better at it though, the last maswa I stripped gave me 14 at day 5 and they are just big enough to call wigglers but at least they didn't get swallowed and I know they are fertilized.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2015
Boko
Status: Offline
Junior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
If they are swallowing them you may want to try stripping them a little sooner than normal. I've been having the same issues with my young groups. First couple females holding swallowed all the eggs in a couple days. So I tried stripping as soon as I spotted the next two and that just got me a bunch of unfertilized eggs. So the last few rounds I've tried waiting as long as possible until I notice they are swallowing them. 5-7 days has got me the most fry so far. Some females have been down to only a couple left but at least they are wigglers. They are getting better at it though, the last maswa I stripped gave me 14 at day 5 and they are just big enough to call wigglers but at least they didn't get swallowed and I know they are fertilized.
Yeapp, I was just waiting for my egg tumbler, but i guess it got lost in China.. So I will try to make my own, as soon as I have time!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
breeding, fake

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Congratulations! fake account Ogrodii Tropheus Talk 15 03-26-2014 04:27 PM
This is crazy, it could be fake tinhle01 Tropheus Talk 8 11-18-2011 04:13 PM
Polyethylene fake rocks aquarium safe crawdaddy Tropheus Aquascaping 2 04-09-2008 06:40 AM
Is this Tropheus species "real" or "fake"? BrownBullhead Tropheus Species & Variants 9 02-11-2008 09:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.