Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 10-03-2015
Boko

::Profile::
Default Why are they fake breeding?!

Hey guys,

I've seen my trophs fake breeding probably over 20 times in 1 month. What I mean is they do the dance and shaking but no eggs are dropped. Only once have I seen eggs and those where gone in 1 day.

Why are they doing this? I get so disappointing when this happens
Old 10-03-2015
#1 Cichlids
Site Advisor

Keeping: Tangs,Malawi,Haps

Sounds like a young group and a lot of practicing before they follow through with there dance..Good luck.
Old 10-03-2015
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

I came breed all the time. It's fun and feels good. Lol.
Old 10-04-2015
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I came breed all the time. It's fun and feels good. Lol.
Lol, I agree, breeding for fun is the only way I like doing it these days :-).

In all seriousness, I think it's normal to start breeding with little to no results before they figure things out and finish maturing. All of mine have done the same thing. Just be happy they are breeding already, now just be patient and you'll start getting fry sooner or later.
Old 10-04-2015
thegoodlife

Keeping: Mpulungu, Halembe, Kiriza Kaiser II

It's a slow process for sure...My Mpulungu started breeding a few moths ago and I only have 2 babies to show so far...Most females won't hold past 5 days due to the eggs not getting properly fertilized I suppose...They will figure it out soon and you will have tons of fry before you know it...
Old 10-05-2015
Boko

Allright thanks guys! They allready have fry but just two, so i guess ur right in that they are trying to figure it out Patience isn't my greatest skill xD
Old 10-05-2015
baby puffer

Keeping: Cyprichromis, Paracyps, Electric Yellows, Guppies, Tropheus Mpulungu, cyp kigoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
Allright thanks guys! They allready have fry but just two, so i guess ur right in that they are trying to figure it out Patience isn't my greatest skill xD
Thats like me...im so impatient when it comes to getting fry, yet i buy the slowest growing fish....
Old 10-08-2015
Boko

Well time to update, I have two holding dubois and one murago. Murago is fresh from today and the others are 2-3 days ago and there patches is shrinking and they are eating small amounts of flake.. Lets hope they don't swallow all eggs. I actually ordered a egg tumbler from china on eBay a month ago. Haven t turned up yet
Old 10-08-2015
rufretic

Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boko View Post
Well time to update, I have two holding dubois and one murago. Murago is fresh from today and the others are 2-3 days ago and there patches is shrinking and they are eating small amounts of flake.. Lets hope they don't swallow all eggs. I actually ordered a egg tumbler from china on eBay a month ago. Haven t turned up yet
If they are swallowing them you may want to try stripping them a little sooner than normal. I've been having the same issues with my young groups. First couple females holding swallowed all the eggs in a couple days. So I tried stripping as soon as I spotted the next two and that just got me a bunch of unfertilized eggs. So the last few rounds I've tried waiting as long as possible until I notice they are swallowing them. 5-7 days has got me the most fry so far. Some females have been down to only a couple left but at least they are wigglers. They are getting better at it though, the last maswa I stripped gave me 14 at day 5 and they are just big enough to call wigglers but at least they didn't get swallowed and I know they are fertilized.
Old 10-10-2015
Boko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
If they are swallowing them you may want to try stripping them a little sooner than normal. I've been having the same issues with my young groups. First couple females holding swallowed all the eggs in a couple days. So I tried stripping as soon as I spotted the next two and that just got me a bunch of unfertilized eggs. So the last few rounds I've tried waiting as long as possible until I notice they are swallowing them. 5-7 days has got me the most fry so far. Some females have been down to only a couple left but at least they are wigglers. They are getting better at it though, the last maswa I stripped gave me 14 at day 5 and they are just big enough to call wigglers but at least they didn't get swallowed and I know they are fertilized.
Yeapp, I was just waiting for my egg tumbler, but i guess it got lost in China.. So I will try to make my own, as soon as I have time!