Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Cichlid Talk

Notices

General Cichlid Talk Discussion of other types of cichlids.

Old 07-05-2015
Okley

::Profile::
Default Electric blue Peacock breeding with dragon blood

Just like the title says, I have two different species breeding in my tank. Ok, I have a beautiful electric blue peacock that has been aggressivly breeding with 5 female dragon bloods. I first noticed this behavior about 5 days ago. He would lure them one by one into a cave and breed very quickly. Now I have 3 holding for sure. Now my question is, will they even survive? I know dragon bloods are already a hybrid fish, however I don't know which ones they come from. What to do? Wouldn't this be a great looking fish?
Old 07-08-2015
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

Tell you the truth,you're on the wrong forum.But maybe someone will chime in. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okley View Post
Just like the title says, I have two different species breeding in my tank. Ok, I have a beautiful electric blue peacock that has been aggressivly breeding with 5 female dragon bloods. I first noticed this behavior about 5 days ago. He would lure them one by one into a cave and breed very quickly. Now I have 3 holding for sure. Now my question is, will they even survive? I know dragon bloods are already a hybrid fish, however I don't know which ones they come from. What to do? Wouldn't this be a great looking fish?

Technically speaking they most likely will survive being that they are both peacocks of sorts. I've seen Cyrtocara successfully spawn and produce fry with Protomelas (fish specifically aka: Red Empress). IMHO, a Cichlid is a cichlid... The Main reason that they (many types of similar cichlids) don't cross breed is behavior and geological boundaries, not to mention numbers being plentiful, conspecifically. But that's not to say that a zygote couldn't be formed because of a difference in glycoproteins... There hasn't been enough research into the matter to determine if one type of Cichlid could successfully produce fry (or fertile for that matter) with another type of cichlid. Obviously this would have to be some sort of AI (artificial insemination) There's not really enough care or reason to.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2015
Okley

Wrong forum? How is that? This is general cichlid talk, talking about other cichlids than Tropheus. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
Tell you the truth,you're on the wrong forum.But maybe someone will chime in. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2015
Okley

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Technically speaking they most likely will survive being that they are both peacocks of sorts. I've seen Cyrtocara successfully spawn and produce fry with Protomelas (fish specifically aka: Red Empress). IMHO, a Cichlid is a cichlid... The Main reason that they (many types of similar cichlids) don't cross breed is behavior and geological boundaries, not to mention numbers being plentiful, conspecifically. But that's not to say that a zygote couldn't be formed because of a difference in glycoproteins... There hasn't been enough research into the matter to determine if one type of Cichlid could successfully produce fry (or fertile for that matter) with another type of cichlid. Obviously this would have to be some sort of AI (artificial insemination) There's not really enough care or reason to.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2016
Ontario<>Calvus

Keeping: Altolamprologus ,Compressiceps,White,Black,Yellow,Gold,Inkfin,
Send a message via MSN to Ontario<>Calvus

Kool hope u grow a couple out would like to see future pics ..