Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Species & Variants

Notices

Tropheus Species & Variants Discussion of Tropheus Species, Variants & Collection Points... including ID questions.

Old 04-28-2015
Mastiffman

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldtroph View Post
Good to hear Andrew....telling these stories of our experiences helps everyone in the long run.
By the way, that big block in the tank is Marinepure Cermedia. The 8X8X4 block does help remove some nitrate, as the depth of the bio media is enough for anaerobic bacteria to develop in its center.
I agree 100%!

Yeah that's what you were talking about before... Nice. You could probably even chip or grind some of it away to form it into a rock. That would be cool.

I recently started trying Pond Matrix and so far it's making the water Crystal Clear without Carbon. It's only been in use for about 2 or so weeks, so it might take a bit longer to grow the anaerobic bacteria in the center before I start seeing a regular diff in nitrate levels. But being that this stuff doesn't have to be replaced and can be rinse in tap water quickly to remove exterior detritus, that's huge in my book. So well see.

P.S. If this first group of fry turns out nice from these two spawnings, Maybe a trade in the future could be in store.
Old 04-28-2015
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
BEAUTIFUL!! Pemba was the first troph i wanted, but couldnt locate any good quality ones. Hopefully the females will be just as nice if not better.
yes, thanks Troy! Really loving these....just like i love the vids of your Nkonde!
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
Troyale (05-01-2015)
Old 04-28-2015
emeraldtroph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I agree 100%!
P.S. If this first group of fry turns out nice from these two spawnings, Maybe a trade in the future could be in store.
For breeding program purposes, we shall speak again on this Andrew! And glad to hear Seachem Matrix is put to good use over there! I use it and Cermedia, along with carbon and purigen
Old 04-28-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
For breeding program purposes, we shall speak again on this Andrew! And glad to hear Seachem Matrix is put to good use over there! I use it and Cermedia, along with carbon and purigen
Sounds good.

Yeah Im wanting to get away from carbon in my large tanks and just use Purigen for water color improvement instead of carbon and the matrix for nitrate control.
Old 04-30-2015
carddude123

Keeping: Ilagni & Dubois Maswa
Default Marinepure Cermedia

Quote:
Good to hear Andrew....telling these stories of our experiences helps everyone in the long run.
By the way, that big block in the tank is Marinepure Cermedia. The 8X8X4 block does help remove some nitrate, as the depth of the bio media is enough for anaerobic bacteria to develop in its center.
How big of a tank (gallons) does a 8x8x4 block do? I'll have to admit I hadn't heard of this stuff before but it seems more natural than carbon and other filtration methods. I had a 290 african heavily stocked with a sump and two fx5's and 150 with an fx5 and Petrochromis Bulu Point fry (Friday delivery) and I wouldn't mind adding some of this but not sure how big a block you need for large tanks.

Any help would be appreciated.

David
Old 04-30-2015
emeraldtroph

Quote:
Originally Posted by carddude123 View Post
How big of a tank (gallons) does a 8x8x4 block do?
David
Hi David, one block in your sump is best, and the slower the flow the better for nitrate removal. $60 on amazon but worth it.

8 females added last night after a water change and rocks re-arranged, immediately 17 hours of darkness, most ate today already!
The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldtroph For This Useful Post:
carddude123 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015
carddude123

Quote:
Hi David, one block in your sump is best, and the slower the flow the better for nitrate removal. $60 on amazon but worth it.

8 females added last night after a water change and rocks re-arranged, immediately 17 hours of darkness, most ate today already!
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2015
carddude123

I'm getting ready to take one of my spare 55 gallon tanks (yes I said spare) and turn it into a sump for the 290 and have two section one with the return pump and the second with media and this would be ideal media. The sump will have bio balls where the water comes into the sump after it flows through carbon and floss and the the bio balls lifted up so that oxygen can flow under the balls and then media in the next section and the finally my return pump. I will have all this sectioned off with acrylic glued into the tank.

I currently have too small of a sump and I have to run 2 FX5'S to supplement the sump. Thus should really polish the water and keep all my counts perfect plus I tend to lose power in my subdivision a lot and my sump being to small I fill it too high so it causes it to overflow when the power is out so I have it sitting in a 50 gallon rubber tote.
Old 05-01-2015
emeraldtroph

David I like your plan...and Cermedia is the easiest for nitrate removal, no work involved although I still do 50% weekly water changes. Recharging resins 3 times in salt before you can use them again is time consuming. Be well
Old 05-01-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:

Nice. So you go the Females that you were wanting from them already?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
tommyv04 (06-19-2015)