Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-19-2015
TroPhish

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Looking forward to seeing the set up!!!
Old 02-19-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptosx View Post
I would run a full loop with a valve for bleeding extra air I use the Nickle plated with lever works just fine tap separate valves for everything.
After getting the AP-40 in the mail I picked up about 35Ft of 1" PVC and a bunch of odds and ends to get the job done.

Started off with modifying the original manifold but cutting out the old 3/8" adapter (leaving some pipe on each end for future use if needed) and placing a 1" Tee and reconnecting both ends. Built a shelf for the Pump, set the manifold height and anchored it to the wall with some soft rubber between the wall, pipe and anchors. Got the pump setup and attached and started switching over to new gang valves and dividing off the tank sections for that wall.

Plugged in the AP-40 and WOW. WAY to loud. Unplugged it, hooked the Coralife LP-38 back up and boxed the AP-40 up. it had tons of power but in no way was this thing "Only 40db"... It was more like 60+ I thought I could make a sound deadening box with baffled intake and output ports with a 12v fan for cooling.. But I highly doubt that it would have made much of difference.

Just saw the mail lady pick it up a minute ago.

Most likely will hit the Superior Growers Supply store around the corner later today or tomorrow and pick up a single linear piston pump that is double or more of the Coralife LP-38.

- The PondMaster AP-40 is 2900c.in./min which is just over 47.5 lpm @ 5.8psi @ 40w $100+
- The Coralife SL-38 pumps 2320cin./min which is 38 lpm @ 2.9psi. @ 18w $60+
- The Coralife SL-65 pumps 3967cin./min which is 38 lpm @ 3.9psi. @ 35w $65+
- The Ecoplus Commercial Air 3 is 3967cin./min which is 38 lpm @ 3.9psi. @ 35w $53+

I found the PSI will only have a major effect with deeper applications such as ponds. The ECO Plus Commercial Air pump seems the best for the price/ performance ratio. Will see what the Local grower store has and will hopefully find a good deal. I would have to build a line into the addict of the second floor addition to deal with the noise of AP-40. Other than that it's great pump. Just not for me right now.

QUOTE=TroPhish;221136]Looking forward to seeing the set up!!![/QUOTE]

It wont really be much but a bunch of pipes and air line with a shelf and pump on it. But I'll snap a photo of the pump and shelf when it's all put together.

Last edited by Mastiffman; 02-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2015
leptosx

Medo LA-45B when people come to my fish room they allways ask where my air pump is because they cant hear it they cost but it's worth it.
Old 02-19-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Medo LA-45B when people come to my fish room they allways ask where my air pump is because they cant hear it they cost but it's worth it.
Is that because of the ambient sound of the Tanks filter boxes bubbling so hard or maybe it's off in another portion of the fish room?

Mine will be basically in a 20x 24ft room lifted up higher on one wall. Filled the whole room with noise. I couldn't deal with it.

But I'm sure that this 35w 65 lpm should be a big difference. I could probably even deaden the sound quite a bit with a box.
Old 02-19-2015
leptosx

I use lee's coarse discard-a-stones in all my sponge filters now no noise and more oxygen medo says 38db but i think it's lower my fish room is very quiet the pump is in my fish room it's 15x13ft.
Old 02-19-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
I use lee's coarse discard-a-stones in all my sponge filters now no noise and more oxygen medo says 38db but i think it's lower my fish room is very quiet the pump is in my fish room it's 15x13ft.
Ah good idea. I order a few new Box filters that have reusable media and they have those stones in them. This is what I'm going for. Ultra Quiet Operation.
Old 03-11-2015
Mastiffman

Okay, this what I setup. I ended up going with an Eco-Plus single Linear Piston Pump plumbed to 1" PVC around the room. I couldn't be happier with it!

It stays cool and is mostly quiet but I built a sound deadening, ventilated box to go over the shelf that I built for it. The Shelf is mounted about 7ft up on the wall up behind a group of fry tanks that puts it in the middle of the room. The Box is made from 3/4" dense fiberboard and glued together. I built an intake on the left side fo the box that faces the wall and leaves about a 3/4" gap between it and the wall and mounted an 80mm 12v computer that I wired up to an unused 9v power supply that came from a baby monitor that we used to have. The Fan draws air from the box and therefore pulls air into the box from the intake. The Air is never really even warm.

I might at a later date build a wooden box cover that is insulated with this same foam, but glued to the wood and then create a convection ventilated box. Which, like a houses attic, would allow the warm to escape from the top via ridge vent and automatically pull cool air in through the bottom via downward facing vents. This wuld alleviate the need for the fan as I don't think this unit creates that much heat. or the fan is doing that good of job.

A few people complained about the noise of the Eco-Plus units but upon reading the manual supplied in the packaging it states not to let the unit get to hot as it will get louder and need to be repair sooner. So the cooler the better. I also figured out with my coralife pump (smaller version of this one) that if you put a tube on the intake pipe and lightly add some type of foam on the inside it greatly deadens the sound. Like I muffler. Like the internal filter, it just needs to be clean a couple times a year.

Anyway, here are just a few pics on it on the shelf plumbed into the main air trunkline and then 2 of the box and cooling fan. The only other thing that I did which isn't in the pic is fold an old towel in half and drap it over the top and front which also further aided in deadening the sound.

Intake Side

Fan side

Thanks to everyone for their input! As always, your input is greatly valued!
Old 03-11-2015
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

nice i like it
Old 03-11-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfrontosa View Post
nice i like it
It's not the prettiest setup but it works well and it's not too unsightly.
Old 03-12-2015
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

That's cool man. Thanks for sharing.

I just bought a Coral Life Luft pump to power my K1 Kaldnes filter. Looking forward to hooking it up this weekend....hoping its not to loud.

John