Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 10-16-2014
1711FM

::Profile::
Default crisis averted

I'm not really sure what's going on....
Yesterday when I got home I saw 1 of my ilangi in the corner of the tank, DEAD!! On top of it, all of my fish breath really hard. They're gasping for air
As soon as I saw that I decided to do 70% WC, ohhh n I forgot to mention I just did a WC on Monday. Afterward I turned off the lights, they have no light n no food since yesterday. Today as soon as I got home I.checked on them n they're all normal n actively swimming. Phew...

I have never lost any fish for the last 3 years, but the silver lining of my experience was I lost the male not the female.

I'm trying to figure out what I did different, I'm a creature of habit, but here's what i did differently on Monday WC
1. I used the laundry room tap water, instead of my backyard tap water. Does it matter??
2. On the weekend, I was too lazy to throw away a fly that I killed. So I fed it to the fish. My in law is in town, she saw me doing that n she killed lots of flies n fed them to the fish. Do the flies trigger the nitrite to spike in the tank??

I know what I did was wrong but lesson learned!! Sorry if it's a tad long....

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising every time we fall
Old 10-16-2014
troutwader

If there were some recent heavy rains, the water company could have added chemicals to the tap. I wouldn't feed my tropheus a nasty fly from here. Although they probably eat anything that lands on the water in Africa.
Old 10-16-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Since the water crisis in Toledo every water change I have head issues with gasping sick looking fish. I have basically had to use 5 times the usual recommended dose of prime to evade deaths. Even still it has taken at least 24 hours after each water change for my fish to bounce back to a healthy actively grazing stage. Toledo City has been adding up to six times the usual chlorine to the water here and also increased use of chloramine which does not evaporate off in sunlight and so even my aged water from my backyard has caused some issues that not as many.

My suspicion would be as the previous respondant mention that there are issues happening with your city's water. You could call them and ask if they have changed the water treatment plan and if there's anything that you can do is a fish keep that to you avoid issues from the water in the future
Old 10-16-2014
emeraldtroph

Keeping: Kapampa and Lufubu currently, have kept Ikola and Bulu Point

Agreeing with the others here...also most homes have been sprayed either inside or outside for bugs...meaning, the flies may be ingesting small levels of bug killer pesticide
Old 10-17-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

Not to belittle your situation but everyone should be alarmed at the use of FRACKING ! You think you have problems with chemicals now just wait (00)
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 10-17-2014
troutwader

What is fracking?
Old 10-17-2014
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

Drilling and injecting fluid into grounds with substantial pressure to crack or "fracture" shale rocks to release natrual gasses
Old 10-17-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I don't mean to be an Azz, but I can't believe anyone could not be aware of fracking at this point in time. Do you live outside the states ?
Here you go :

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/fracking/

http://www.cleanwateraction.org/page/fracking-dangers
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 10-17-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1711FM View Post
I'm not really sure what's going on....
Yesterday when I got home I saw 1 of my ilangi in the corner of the tank, DEAD!! On top of it, all of my fish breath really hard. They're gasping for air
As soon as I saw that I decided to do 70% WC, ohhh n I forgot to mention I just did a WC on Monday. Afterward I turned off the lights, they have no light n no food since yesterday. Today as soon as I got home I.checked on them n they're all normal n actively swimming. Phew...

I have never lost any fish for the last 3 years, but the silver lining of my experience was I lost the male not the female.

I'm trying to figure out what I did different, I'm a creature of habit, but here's what i did differently on Monday WC
1. I used the laundry room tap water, instead of my backyard tap water. Does it matter??
2. On the weekend, I was too lazy to throw away a fly that I killed. So I fed it to the fish. My in law is in town, she saw me doing that n she killed lots of flies n fed them to the fish. Do the flies trigger the nitrite to spike in the tank??

I know what I did was wrong but lesson learned!! Sorry if it's a tad long....
This is exactly why I always use more Stress Coat or SAFE than is directed. I was use the normal amount and out of no where I experienced this same sort of thing.

Luckily though I didn't lose any but thought I was going to.

But I haven't seen an issue like this since.
Old 10-17-2014
1711FM

Thanks for all the comments
I always use more than suggested on the prime, I even add 5 scoops of non iodized salt on each WC
I guess fracking is one of the reason, my question though did they do it occasionally? Cause when I did WC on tuesday nothing happened!?!?
I didn't think about the pesticide, good point.

I'm just hoping everyone learns from my experience

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising every time we fall
The Following User Says Thank You to 1711FM For This Useful Post:
troph56 (10-17-2014)