Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 10-05-2014
AfricanDiscus

::Profile::
Keeping: None Yet
Default 75G Baby Blue Build

So i have started the build for my 75G Tropheus aquarium, These two pictures are the first layer of paint going onto the aquarium. As you can see there is the back and a side painted as both of these wil be up agaisnt a wall and cannot be used for viewing.

I decided to go with a lighter shade of blue due to the fact that my rocks are nearly black

Old 10-05-2014
Mastiffman

NICE!

Good start!
Old 10-05-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

You're going to love the blue!

And I have a few tanks with painted sides and I really like it. I never view my tanks from the ends anyway!
Old 10-06-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Always exciting starting a new set-up. Looking good! I have black and baby blue backgrounds and I prefer the blue - the fish stands out more to my eye. The baby blue will look darker once filled with water so I try to counteract that with brighter lighting and lighter coloured substrate.
Old 10-06-2014
AfricanDiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
Always exciting starting a new set-up. Looking good! I have black and baby blue backgrounds and I prefer the blue - the fish stands out more to my eye. The baby blue will look darker once filled with water so I try to counteract that with brighter lighting and lighter coloured substrate.
Good to know. I ordered caribsea special grade reef sand for the substrate and plan on using a current led+ for lighting.
Old 10-06-2014
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Cool...that's the substrate & lighting that I use too - I also supplement the lighting with some T5HO bulbs. What kind of trophs are you getting?
Old 10-06-2014
AfricanDiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
Cool...that's the substrate & lighting that I use too - I also supplement the lighting with some T5HO bulbs. What kind of trophs are you getting?
Undecided it's going to come down to whats available when I order. Cause I've yet to see a tropheus that I haven't liked.
Old 10-06-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanDiscus View Post
Undecided it's going to come down to whats available when I order. Cause I've yet to see a tropheus that I haven't liked.
Ah Very good choice on the Substrate and Lighting. I have 5 (3x 48" and 2x 36") Current LED Sat+ fixtures and I absolutely love them.

You can fine tune them to the color that you like best with each variant of trophs and setup the 4 programmable presets to have the light just how you want when you want it at the press of a button. All of the remotes are the same as well so you only need to use one remote and will have spares if you get more than one fixture. Great product!

You mentioned nearly black rocks that you'll be using?

I would put a whole lot scattered in the tank as it will completely counteract the purpose of the white substrate and make them a bit darker than they should be.

I have found that if dark rocks are a must then to have a decent pile in each corner, not to big either and then only one or two smaller rocks in the middle of the tank... you want as much reflection of the light as possible in a Tropheus tank for them to regularly display well.

This is just from my experience and is not an assertion.
Old 10-06-2014
AfricanDiscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Ah Very good choice on the Substrate and Lighting. I have 5 (3x 48" and 2x 36") Current LED Sat+ fixtures and I absolutely love them.

You can fine tune them to the color that you like best with each variant of trophs and setup the 4 programmable presets to have the light just how you want when you want it at the press of a button. All of the remotes are the same as well so you only need to use one remote and will have spares if you get more than one fixture. Great product!

You mentioned nearly black rocks that you'll be using?

I would put a whole lot scattered in the tank as it will completely counteract the purpose of the white substrate and make them a bit darker than they should be.

I have found that if dark rocks are a must then to have a decent pile in each corner, not to big either and then only one or two smaller rocks in the middle of the tank... you want as much reflection of the light as possible in a Tropheus tank for them to regularly display well.

This is just from my experience and is not an assertion.
I have one Current Led + plus i have one of the strips and i love them also. I figured they would be the best option for the Trophs as i can adjust the color to best suit the trophs.

Those are the rocks that I will be using. I have probably 100 pounds around that are not being used right now so i figured id use some for the Trophs.
Old 10-06-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanDiscus View Post
I have one Current Led + plus i have one of the strips and i love them also. I figured they would be the best option for the Trophs as i can adjust the color to best suit the trophs.

Those are the rocks that I will be using. I have probably 100 pounds around that are not being used right now so i figured id use some for the Trophs.
Gotcha!

Those are nice Rocks. but like I said, I personally wouldn't use to many. Some in corners and one or two smaller ones in the middle.