Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2013
TroPhish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 409
Thanked 359 Times in 262 Posts
Images: 116
Default WC Kalambo From Greg at LIttle Africa Aquatics

Ok, So the pics below are terrible but you get the idea. These pics are of a 4M/11F group of WC Kalambo I got from Greg at LAA.

The pics were taken about a week after I received them. They are more colorful and all the subtle blues etc are a lot nicer now. They are in a 55gal that I was going to use as just a quarantine but they started breeding so quickly that I am left them be.

In just the short time Iv had them, This has been one of the most fun groups of tropheus that Iv ever kept. They have just truly walked to walk for me.

Some stats:

Received on 3/05/13. Fed nothing but Greg's flake soaked in metro for the first week. Then began to feed more aggressively on NLS and Greg's flake, nice sized weekly water changes etc. Then began to slowly increase the size of water changes every week.

2 weeks later replaced the rocks with a flower pot and some pvc elbows.

On 03/31/13 began 60% twice weekly water changes. sundays and weds. All spawns occurred on or the day after a water change.

On 4/1/13 , 4/3/13 and 4/7/13 observed 4 spawns. First female swallowed. The other 3 held and ate very well while holding.

On 4/15/13 observed additional spawn. So a total of 5 out of 11 females so far.

Because of some time constraints, I had decided to strip on the 17th...about the 10-14 day mark for the first three females. I didn't expect the last female to spawn just days before I was going to strip and she got stripped as well.

Results:

29 nice wigglers from the first 3 females.
13 eggs from the late bloomer. 4 unfertile/9 fertile.

So the spawns occurred about 30 days out of the bag from Greg and about 45 days from coming from Africa.

And now Im staring at these wigglers at 45 days from greg...not even 60 days from Africa. And they are going at it again non stop.

Im also pretty impressed that it looks like they are laying in the 8-13 eggs range even at less than 4in.

Anyway, I could not be happier with this group. I had inquired about fish weeks before he got these and was thinking of other types. however, after he got these, he said that they were really top notch in color and in prime breeding condition so I went with them.

From what Iv experienced thus far...what he said about them has proved true.

I have new pics of the group, the eggs, and the wigglers... but I took them with a different camera and it said they were too big to upload...so I have to take some more with the other camera and Ill post those soon.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and the story.

Thanks greg!

-John











Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 04-20-2013
LittleAfricaAquatics.com's Avatar
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Status: Offline
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Louisville, Ky
Keeping: A lot
Age: 45
Posts: 3,965
Thanks: 767
Thanked 654 Times in 439 Posts
Images: 53
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Default

They are an amazing troph, last import I got more in, still have a good amount and a great ratio left if you need more, hot fish.
__________________
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2013
MrFlow's Avatar
MrFlow
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas
Age: 38
Posts: 609
Thanks: 307
Thanked 96 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Wow man congratulations. That's a serious success story! Sounds like you have some serious breeders on your hands.
__________________
Psalm 121:6,7,8
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2013
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Ok, So the pics below are terrible but you get the idea. These pics are of a 4M/11F group of WC Kalambo I got from Greg at LAA.

The pics were taken about a week after I received them. They are more colorful and all the subtle blues etc are a lot nicer now. They are in a 55gal that I was going to use as just a quarantine but they started breeding so quickly that I am left them be.

In just the short time Iv had them, This has been one of the most fun groups of tropheus that Iv ever kept. They have just truly walked to walk for me.

Some stats:

Received on 3/05/13. Fed nothing but Greg's flake soaked in metro for the first week. Then began to feed more aggressively on NLS and Greg's flake, nice sized weekly water changes etc. Then began to slowly increase the size of water changes every week.

2 weeks later replaced the rocks with a flower pot and some pvc elbows.

On 03/31/13 began 60% twice weekly water changes. sundays and weds. All spawns occurred on or the day after a water change.

On 4/1/13 , 4/3/13 and 4/7/13 observed 4 spawns. First female swallowed. The other 3 held and ate very well while holding.

On 4/15/13 observed additional spawn. So a total of 5 out of 11 females so far.

Because of some time constraints, I had decided to strip on the 17th...about the 10-14 day mark for the first three females. I didn't expect the last female to spawn just days before I was going to strip and she got stripped as well.

Results:

29 nice wigglers from the first 3 females.
13 eggs from the late bloomer. 4 unfertile/9 fertile.

So the spawns occurred about 30 days out of the bag from Greg and about 45 days from coming from Africa.

And now Im staring at these wigglers at 45 days from greg...not even 60 days from Africa. And they are going at it again non stop.

Im also pretty impressed that it looks like they are laying in the 8-13 eggs range even at less than 4in.

Anyway, I could not be happier with this group. I had inquired about fish weeks before he got these and was thinking of other types. however, after he got these, he said that they were really top notch in color and in prime breeding condition so I went with them.

From what Iv experienced thus far...what he said about them has proved true.

I have new pics of the group, the eggs, and the wigglers... but I took them with a different camera and it said they were too big to upload...so I have to take some more with the other camera and Ill post those soon.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and the story.

Thanks greg!

-John










Very Nice! Lovin that Sunspot!

P.S. Use Micrsoft Office "picture Manager" to rezie the pics. Or upload them to "Imageshack.com" and copy the "Direct Link" into the Photo window when putting them in a post and it will resize them for you...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2013
gw12269's Avatar
gw12269
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Parma, OH
Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu
Age: 48
Posts: 882
Thanks: 112
Thanked 104 Times in 95 Posts
Images: 32
Default

Sweet Trophs. Very nice. Its always cool when your Male Troheus are trying to make woman match their moves and sharing in the Weekapaug groove. How many tanks do you have in your Farmhouse? Good to see that another Tropheus keeper can keep them in a 55 gallon tank. Wild Caughts too.
Happy 420
__________________
180g - 6 Polli 14 Green Murago
75g - 11 Lufubu
http://www.youtube.com/user/Phishman2001?feature=watch
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-20-2013
moganman
Guest
 
::Profile::
Posts: n/a
Default

Very nice man. Congrats!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2013
SFCichlids
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 141
Thanks: 16
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Images: 19
Default

Nice write up of your success story...thanks for sharing and congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2013
TroPhish
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Mar 2013
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Posts: 1,876
Thanks: 409
Thanked 359 Times in 262 Posts
Images: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAfricaAquatics View Post
They are an amazing troph, last import I got more in, still have a good amount and a great ratio left if you need more, hot fish.
Thanks Greg...but Im making all I need in house! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Wow man congratulations. That's a serious success story! Sounds like you have some serious breeders on your hands.
Thanks! I may offer some for sale soon...they are really pumped up. They love their fresh food and water diet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
Sweet Trophs. Very nice. Its always cool when your Male Troheus are trying to make woman match their moves and sharing in the Weekapaug groove. How many tanks do you have in your Farmhouse? Good to see that another Tropheus keeper can keep them in a 55 gallon tank. Wild Caughts too.
Happy 420
Always nice to meet another phan!
I have about 8 tanks ranging from 40B-240gal.
A 55 gal with a couple of flower pots is perfect for a small group of 15. They love being crowded and a 55 accomplishes that nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
Very nice man. Congrats!!!
Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCichlids View Post
Nice write up of your success story...thanks for sharing and congrats!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2013
聲gel @'s Avatar
聲gel @
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madrid / Spain / Europe
Keeping: Tropheus moorii Mpulungu WC
Posts: 514
Thanks: 129
Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Beautiful!!!, a of the varities very nice!!!
__________________
Fanatic of the Tropheus since 2.001


My channel in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TropheusAngelArroba


My new import of Tropheus: http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24177


My Tropheus moorii Mpulungu WC: http://trophs.com/forums/showthread....057#post193057
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2013
moorii603's Avatar
moorii603
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dover, NH, USA
Keeping: Hoping to have a group of each species at some point.
Posts: 408
Thanks: 99
Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
Default

Congrats man! Those are some nice looking fish. Wishing you continued success with breeding them!
__________________
Curt A.K.A moorii603

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
africa, aquatics, greg, kalambo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Order from Greg at little africa aquatics! MORPHEUS Tropheus Talk 3 02-12-2011 11:06 PM
Simos From Greg Little africa aquatics cichlidomaha Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk 3 01-17-2011 10:40 PM
Some pictures of my new Tropheus from Little Africa Aquatics! Thanks Greg! Chris Derrick Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion 12 09-10-2008 04:57 PM
I did it! Made first order with Greg at Little Africa Aquatics! Chris Derrick Tropheus Talk 24 08-22-2008 06:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.