Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 04-20-2013
TroPhish

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'
Default WC Kalambo From Greg at LIttle Africa Aquatics

Ok, So the pics below are terrible but you get the idea. These pics are of a 4M/11F group of WC Kalambo I got from Greg at LAA.

The pics were taken about a week after I received them. They are more colorful and all the subtle blues etc are a lot nicer now. They are in a 55gal that I was going to use as just a quarantine but they started breeding so quickly that I am left them be.

In just the short time Iv had them, This has been one of the most fun groups of tropheus that Iv ever kept. They have just truly walked to walk for me.

Some stats:

Received on 3/05/13. Fed nothing but Greg's flake soaked in metro for the first week. Then began to feed more aggressively on NLS and Greg's flake, nice sized weekly water changes etc. Then began to slowly increase the size of water changes every week.

2 weeks later replaced the rocks with a flower pot and some pvc elbows.

On 03/31/13 began 60% twice weekly water changes. sundays and weds. All spawns occurred on or the day after a water change.

On 4/1/13 , 4/3/13 and 4/7/13 observed 4 spawns. First female swallowed. The other 3 held and ate very well while holding.

On 4/15/13 observed additional spawn. So a total of 5 out of 11 females so far.

Because of some time constraints, I had decided to strip on the 17th...about the 10-14 day mark for the first three females. I didn't expect the last female to spawn just days before I was going to strip and she got stripped as well.

Results:

29 nice wigglers from the first 3 females.
13 eggs from the late bloomer. 4 unfertile/9 fertile.

So the spawns occurred about 30 days out of the bag from Greg and about 45 days from coming from Africa.

And now Im staring at these wigglers at 45 days from greg...not even 60 days from Africa. And they are going at it again non stop.

Im also pretty impressed that it looks like they are laying in the 8-13 eggs range even at less than 4in.

Anyway, I could not be happier with this group. I had inquired about fish weeks before he got these and was thinking of other types. however, after he got these, he said that they were really top notch in color and in prime breeding condition so I went with them.

From what Iv experienced thus far...what he said about them has proved true.

I have new pics of the group, the eggs, and the wigglers... but I took them with a different camera and it said they were too big to upload...so I have to take some more with the other camera and Ill post those soon.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and the story.

Thanks greg!

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

They are an amazing troph, last import I got more in, still have a good amount and a great ratio left if you need more, hot fish.
Old 04-20-2013
MrFlow

Keeping: Pembas, Ikola, Maswa and Kasangas

Wow man congratulations. That's a serious success story! Sounds like you have some serious breeders on your hands.
Isaiah 54:17 NKJV
Old 04-20-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Ok, So the pics below are terrible but you get the idea. These pics are of a 4M/11F group of WC Kalambo I got from Greg at LAA.

The pics were taken about a week after I received them. They are more colorful and all the subtle blues etc are a lot nicer now. They are in a 55gal that I was going to use as just a quarantine but they started breeding so quickly that I am left them be.

In just the short time Iv had them, This has been one of the most fun groups of tropheus that Iv ever kept. They have just truly walked to walk for me.

Some stats:

Received on 3/05/13. Fed nothing but Greg's flake soaked in metro for the first week. Then began to feed more aggressively on NLS and Greg's flake, nice sized weekly water changes etc. Then began to slowly increase the size of water changes every week.

2 weeks later replaced the rocks with a flower pot and some pvc elbows.

On 03/31/13 began 60% twice weekly water changes. sundays and weds. All spawns occurred on or the day after a water change.

On 4/1/13 , 4/3/13 and 4/7/13 observed 4 spawns. First female swallowed. The other 3 held and ate very well while holding.

On 4/15/13 observed additional spawn. So a total of 5 out of 11 females so far.

Because of some time constraints, I had decided to strip on the 17th...about the 10-14 day mark for the first three females. I didn't expect the last female to spawn just days before I was going to strip and she got stripped as well.

Results:

29 nice wigglers from the first 3 females.
13 eggs from the late bloomer. 4 unfertile/9 fertile.

So the spawns occurred about 30 days out of the bag from Greg and about 45 days from coming from Africa.

And now Im staring at these wigglers at 45 days from greg...not even 60 days from Africa. And they are going at it again non stop.

Im also pretty impressed that it looks like they are laying in the 8-13 eggs range even at less than 4in.

Anyway, I could not be happier with this group. I had inquired about fish weeks before he got these and was thinking of other types. however, after he got these, he said that they were really top notch in color and in prime breeding condition so I went with them.

From what Iv experienced thus far...what he said about them has proved true.

I have new pics of the group, the eggs, and the wigglers... but I took them with a different camera and it said they were too big to upload...so I have to take some more with the other camera and Ill post those soon.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and the story.

Thanks greg!

-John

Very Nice! Lovin that Sunspot!

P.S. Use Micrsoft Office "picture Manager" to rezie the pics. Or upload them to "Imageshack.com" and copy the "Direct Link" into the Photo window when putting them in a post and it will resize them for you...
Old 04-20-2013
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Sweet Trophs. Very nice. Its always cool when your Male Troheus are trying to make woman match their moves and sharing in the Weekapaug groove. How many tanks do you have in your Farmhouse? Good to see that another Tropheus keeper can keep them in a 55 gallon tank. Wild Caughts too.
Happy 420
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 04-20-2013
moganman

Very nice man. Congrats!!!
Old 04-20-2013
SFCichlids

Nice write up of your success story...thanks for sharing and congrats!
Old 04-24-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAfricaAquatics View Post
They are an amazing troph, last import I got more in, still have a good amount and a great ratio left if you need more, hot fish.
Thanks Greg...but Im making all I need in house! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlow View Post
Wow man congratulations. That's a serious success story! Sounds like you have some serious breeders on your hands.
Thanks! I may offer some for sale soon...they are really pumped up. They love their fresh food and water diet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
Sweet Trophs. Very nice. Its always cool when your Male Troheus are trying to make woman match their moves and sharing in the Weekapaug groove. How many tanks do you have in your Farmhouse? Good to see that another Tropheus keeper can keep them in a 55 gallon tank. Wild Caughts too.
Happy 420
Always nice to meet another phan!
I have about 8 tanks ranging from 40B-240gal.
A 55 gal with a couple of flower pots is perfect for a small group of 15. They love being crowded and a 55 accomplishes that nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moganman View Post
Very nice man. Congrats!!!
Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCichlids View Post
Nice write up of your success story...thanks for sharing and congrats!
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013
聲gel @

Keeping: Tropheus moorii Mpulungu WC

Beautiful!!!, a of the varities very nice!!!

My channel in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TropheusAngelArroba

My new import of Tropheus: http://trophs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24177

My Tropheus moorii Mpulungu WC: http://trophs.com/forums/showthread....057#post193057
Old 04-24-2013
moorii603

Keeping: Hoping to have a group of each species at some point.

Congrats man! Those are some nice looking fish. Wishing you continued success with breeding them!