Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 08-15-2012
noddy

::Profile::

Just a note about the water here, I'm in Scarborough and the k.h is very low. I always add baking soda to all my tanks. The last thing you want are p.h swings because the k.h is low. Just my two cents worth. I personally would put a eheim 2217 on that tank and a koralia powerhead instead of the aquaclears.
Old 08-15-2012
Spiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Ya Damba I mean I just found my cyps to be too delicate, especially their fins were getting nipped like CRAZY, but ya Spiros is near me and I have some breeding Ortho Bangwe I just picked up, if he wants to go species tank, 25-30 Dubs would fill that tank out well and they would be good together for sure. Let us know what you decide and post some pics, I definetly want to see how this turns out.
Damba, i just did a search for petrochromis orthognathus i defiantly don't like the look of them.
gobies seem interesting but i don't really know much about them.
can someone post a link??
i would like to keep at least 5 gobies so the tank would have some different colors.

i would buy 25 fry about .75 -1.50 inches long and let them grow to about 2.5" then i would do my best at sexing the males

if i could would 18 females and 2/3 males work
or more like 5 males and 15 females

i will for sure post lots of pictures when i finally get this started.
first i have to empty my 55g and move it to my dads office 5 mins drive away
problem is there are about 40-50 cichlids in there and i dont have much room in my 125 so i took a 40g , someone who passed away and it was on the street i just set it up 2 days ago so ill start putting in fish tomorrow as i used water change water and the filter was running in my 125 for 3 days.

anyway when that is done i will start putting up pictures, and maybe a youtube video
Old 08-15-2012
Spiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy View Post
Just a note about the water here, I'm in Scarborough and the k.h is very low. I always add baking soda to all my tanks. The last thing you want are p.h swings because the k.h is low. Just my two cents worth. I personally would put a eheim 2217 on that tank and a koralia powerhead instead of the aquaclears.
noddy, how much baking soda
also if the breeder before me who lives in ajax does nothing would it matter to the fish
Old 08-16-2012
damba

Keeping: dubosi masawa ~ moori kasakalwe ~ moori lufubu ~ moori firecracker ~ sp black bemba

Hi sorry you dont like the Petros. They are my passion.
The thing is with gobies is in a tank your size you can only keep 1 pair. Unlike trophs they cannot be kept in groups they need to be treated like trophs. They have very interesting breeding as in dome species they both brood.

www.dambacichlids.com

TROPHEUS DUBOSI MASAWA TB = SP BLACK BEMBA TB = MOORI KASAKALWE F1 = MOORI FIRECRACKER TB = MOORI LUFUBU F1 = TROPHEUS MOORI ILANGI
PETROCHROMIS SP KASUMBE HALEMBE = POLYODON CHINGA = SP TEXAS BULU POINT = TREWAVASSAE = FAMULA SANGALA = FAMULA TEMBWE = TRICOLOUR MVUNA = BULU POINT RED
Old 08-16-2012
Spiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Hi sorry you dont like the Petros. They are my passion.
The thing is with gobies is in a tank your size you can only keep 1 pair. Unlike trophs they cannot be kept in groups they need to be treated like trophs. They have very interesting breeding as in dome species they both brood.
OH i see
so i could only keep a pair together, so where can i find a nice pair to buy
Old 08-16-2012
damba

Keeping: dubosi masawa ~ moori kasakalwe ~ moori lufubu ~ moori firecracker ~ sp black bemba

Probably need to get your local shop to order you a pair or try mail order. I like the eretmodus spp best

www.dambacichlids.com

TROPHEUS DUBOSI MASAWA TB = SP BLACK BEMBA TB = MOORI KASAKALWE F1 = MOORI FIRECRACKER TB = MOORI LUFUBU F1 = TROPHEUS MOORI ILANGI
PETROCHROMIS SP KASUMBE HALEMBE = POLYODON CHINGA = SP TEXAS BULU POINT = TREWAVASSAE = FAMULA SANGALA = FAMULA TEMBWE = TRICOLOUR MVUNA = BULU POINT RED
Old 08-16-2012
noddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiros View Post
noddy, how much baking soda
also if the breeder before me who lives in ajax does nothing would it matter to the fish
I would try to match the conditions they are in now, chances are, the guy doesn't add anything to his water. I have brought many fish home, and taken many fish to Mike at finatics without any problems at all. He doesn't add anything to his water and he is/was 5 mins from my house. I add 1tsp per 5 gallons to all my tanks, and do 75% water changes every week. If you want to make any changes, I would wait until they are settled in and make the changes over time. Plus one on the Gobies, probably best to start out with six or so juvies and let a pair form. I keep them in small groups as well as pairs, but in larger tanks. Be carefull who you buy your Trophs from bud.
Old 10-10-2012
Spiros

hey guys some familt stuff stopped me from getting those fry and now there gone

for the tank its now going to be a 90 gal

i can buy a adult group of 11 because they are proven breeders that are 3 years old 3 males and 8 females.
i want to know if i can add some 1" fry might be duboisi might be ilangi
that are also f1,
is it possible to add 1" fry and for them to live??

thanks for input
ps i will probably have 3 aqua clears on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
Ya Damba I mean I just found my cyps to be too delicate, especially their fins were getting nipped like CRAZY, but ya Spiros is near me and I have some breeding Ortho Bangwe I just picked up, if he wants to go species tank, 25-30 Dubs would fill that tank out well and they would be good together for sure. Let us know what you decide and post some pics, I definetly want to see how this turns out.
Old 10-10-2012
moganman

I would never only feed my tropheus Spirulina flakes unless I was trying to acclimate some wild caught fish to taking processed foods. I feed all of my fish NLS and use flakes as a treat. As far as adding fry to the tank, just remove all rocks, do a large water change, introduce the new fish and turn the lights off for the rest of the day or night. Reintroduce the rocks the next day or whenever you are able to observe what's going on and everything should be OK. Adding fry isn't that tricky. It's the adults you have to worry about. Especially if it's the same species.