Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 08-14-2012
Spiros

::Profile::
Default starting first ever tropheus tank

hi there everyone this is my first time on this forum as i was looking up stuff about trophs and i just found it.

i live in toronto canada just so you guys know.

OK so what i want to know is if i am doing good so far on what i would like to do.

i want to setup a us 75 gallon tank with about 15 dubosi ( preferably maswa)

Filtration: 2 Internal aquaclear 500's they run 1,000us gallons together per hour so the whole tank would go through about 13 times PER hour.

Heater: 2 75g ehiem heaters one set a little lower in case of problem when i am away.

substrate: its going to be black sand ( $$$) or kids play sand which is brown

decor: i am having trouble with this as i have read make 2 piles on each end and just dont have any rocks at all.
i would like to make the 2 piles they would consist of 5-7 limestone rocks of average size for each pile. please give me lots of advice for this one .
Toronto water is on average a 7.8 hardness other then the lime stone i would not add anything for the water

Water changes: once a week 30-40 % depending how much work the filters end up doing and i would clean one filter every 2 months and alternate.

Buying the fish: i am going to buy them from a local breeder who lives only 30 minutes away so we should have the same water. he has had trophs for over 10yrs
we havent talk about if i am going to take some adults or a bunch of fry maybe 25 and let nature figure who will live in my tank.

Food: i will feed them just spirulina flake with some cucumber once a month or so. the back of the container says 40% max protein should i find a different brand???

i have had african cichlids fo 3 years and want to try with tropheus

thanks everyone in advance for your help
Old 08-14-2012
damba

Keeping: dubosi masawa ~ moori kasakalwe ~ moori lufubu ~ moori firecracker ~ sp black bemba

Sounds good and i would put one rock pile at either end. Dubs are pretty laid back for trophs but i would go for 20-25 in your tank. I dont see any point in feeding cucumber but nori seaweed is good and readily eavilable on a well known auction site. Food wise i go with spirulina flake mixed with krill flake 2/3 to 1/3 and the occasional treat of misis or pacific krill. No meat based products though. You ph though low will be fine as long as it is stable and lime stone rocks will help buffer. Black sand can dull tropheus espeecially dubs brown or natural colour is better. Blue bacgrounds look god and lighting neednt be too bright. Keep an eye for bloat and keep metro on hand but having said that i have never had dubs bloat. So long as you keep things stable you will do fine. If you want tankmates a pair of tang gobies is always nice and i have found cyprichromis leptosoma work well though others may disagree.
Hope thiz helps.
Tom

www.dambacichlids.com

TROPHEUS DUBOSI MASAWA TB = SP BLACK BEMBA TB = MOORI KASAKALWE F1 = MOORI FIRECRACKER TB = MOORI LUFUBU F1 = TROPHEUS MOORI ILANGI
PETROCHROMIS SP KASUMBE HALEMBE = POLYODON CHINGA = SP TEXAS BULU POINT = TREWAVASSAE = FAMULA SANGALA = FAMULA TEMBWE = TRICOLOUR MVUNA = BULU POINT RED
The Following User Says Thank You to damba For This Useful Post:
Spiros (08-16-2012)
Old 08-14-2012
Spiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Sounds good and i would put one rock pile at either end. Dubs are pretty laid back for trophs but i would go for 20-25 in your tank. I dont see any point in feeding cucumber but nori seaweed is good and readily eavilable on a well known auction site. Food wise i go with spirulina flake mixed with krill flake 2/3 to 1/3 and the occasional treat of misis or pacific krill. No meat based products though. You ph though low will be fine as long as it is stable and lime stone rocks will help buffer. Black sand can dull tropheus espeecially dubs brown or natural colour is better. Blue bacgrounds look god and lighting neednt be too bright. Keep an eye for bloat and keep metro on hand but having said that i have never had dubs bloat. So long as you keep things stable you will do fine. If you want tankmates a pair of tang gobies is always nice and i have found cyprichromis leptosoma work well though others may disagree.
Hope thiz helps.
Tom
i personally would rather feed just spirulina, would that be a problem for the fish?
would white pool filter sand work or is brown best bet.
also should i get 25 fry and let them grow up together or try and get them as adults.

how big do cyprichromis leptosoma get

thanks again
Old 08-14-2012
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Spirulina is a good choice. Only thing I feed my Trophs, go to johnsfishfood.com and buy some of his Spirulina food it's the same as Kens and it works awesome. Definetly do white pool filter sand with a blue background I find it really makes my duboisi pop. I wouldn't suggest putting cyps in mainly because they stay in the upper parts of the tank and have a hard time getting food when the Trophs are going around. I would suggest getting a few gobies, or petrochromis, just not cyps. Also look at the diet of the fish, Cyps are carnivores and quite peaceful. I sold mine because my Tropheus were harrassing the crap out of em. The filters are strong enough, I would suggest adding a sponge filter or two. In case something happens to the Aquaclears while your away they are the best backups you can have and hey they're good for the tank too. Heaters sound good. Decor: I would just lay the rocks all across the tanks bottom and build little caves and stuff while they're juvies. With my adult colony of Moops I did have to change the layout and build 3 caves. One in the middle and two on the sides, due to breeding aggression. Water changes sound good. I prefer to do two per week at 20-30% each time. Easier on the fish and easier on me lol. Other then that you seem to be off to a decent start and you can never go wrong with Duboisi. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to rhickman For This Useful Post:
Spiros (08-16-2012)
Old 08-14-2012
rhickman

15 duboisi would be just fine in a 75, I would definetly suggest adding some tank mate though.
Old 08-15-2012
Spiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhickman View Post
15 duboisi would be just fine in a 75, I would definetly suggest adding some tank mate though.
I want to keep a species only tank but if you recommend it Ill do it
What benefit does it have though ???
Old 08-15-2012
LanceN34

If you do species only then you have room for more than 15. I would shoot for 20-25.
Old 08-15-2012
rhickman

If you want species only go for 25-30 for sure, the more fish the more the aggression gets spread around so less get killed off. Gobies go well with Trophs because of their diet and aggression, they basically ignore my Trophs and just chase after themselves sometimes because of breeding activities, Petros are great because again they ignore my Trophs, Petros have the same diet and in the wild Petros and Trophs are usually both found close to each other due to the fact that they both eat algae off the rocks. Species only is cool too especially with Duboisi, once they're fully grown and their big blue heads are frantically looking for you to drop food in, it is an awesome sight that's for sure.
Old 08-15-2012
damba

Keeping: dubosi masawa ~ moori kasakalwe ~ moori lufubu ~ moori firecracker ~ sp black bemba

Petros are definately the best tank mates for trophs BUT the tank is too small for anything other than petrochromis orthognathus or pushing it trewevassae. I think gobies would be better.
Just an aside my cyp leptosoma jumbo more than stand up to my kasakalwes and Petro polyodon chinga and famula tembwe. I guess we all have different experiences. They are even breeding. I think 25 dubs and a pair of gobies would look great.
Tom

www.dambacichlids.com

TROPHEUS DUBOSI MASAWA TB = SP BLACK BEMBA TB = MOORI KASAKALWE F1 = MOORI FIRECRACKER TB = MOORI LUFUBU F1 = TROPHEUS MOORI ILANGI
PETROCHROMIS SP KASUMBE HALEMBE = POLYODON CHINGA = SP TEXAS BULU POINT = TREWAVASSAE = FAMULA SANGALA = FAMULA TEMBWE = TRICOLOUR MVUNA = BULU POINT RED
Old 08-15-2012
rhickman

Ya Damba I mean I just found my cyps to be too delicate, especially their fins were getting nipped like CRAZY, but ya Spiros is near me and I have some breeding Ortho Bangwe I just picked up, if he wants to go species tank, 25-30 Dubs would fill that tank out well and they would be good together for sure. Let us know what you decide and post some pics, I definetly want to see how this turns out.