Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 01-17-2007
Gerryg

::Profile::

Great thread Heather and I’m loving the stories…I never thought it would happen to me

Anyway…when I was a kid (1960’s) my dad and I kept live bearers (actually he did all the work…and I fed them) that lasted about five years…fast forward to early ‘05 and I built a deck with a pergola and lots of topical plants and decided to put in one of those 30g plastic ponds with a fountain and put one young koi in it and some goldfish…so far so good…come winter I needed a tank to bring the fish in to. Bought a 55g starter kit (retail…aaaarrrgh got hosed) and brought my new kids in for the winter….well in the little pond the koi (bob) who had doubled in size did not bother the goldfish…but as soon as he had some room to get a head of steam up you should have seen him swooping in and chewing away at them tail first…so bob got moved to my neighbors’ year round koi pond…by this time I’m on the boards learning about fishkeeping and decided to move over to African cichlids (mbuna)….then a 90 then 6 20’s for fry…you know the drill…

About this time (fall 05) I bought a steel stand from one of our members Ikola and he had an actual fish room … on a central system…and all these tropheus and fronts…that my friends was it for me and still to this day I can remember that first time at his place…the rest the say is history…

today I have 4 wc groups of adult trophs, 2 wc adult front groups, 1 f1 adult group of Kigomas (from Klaus) a whole wack of malawis ~ 500, … 1000 gals and a central system…putting in a second system for grow outs and a new fish wall for them…MTS anyone? Add to that the great people and advice on Trophs, Cyphos, ACF and KWAS and I am now part of a thriving international community of similarly afflicted individuals…

anyway what I loved about the malawis, and now more so with trophs was the challenge of creating a good environment for them to thrive in and the complex social interactions between them ( it seems to come down to sex, food and real estate with these guys)…on many nights I sit and watch them for hours…and I’m always learning. Since then i have been fortunate enough to vist Klaus, Cowchick, mglillie, bradscichlids, dak, shelldweller, midastouch's fishrooms and realize i still have so much learn...

g
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerryg For This Useful Post:
Thirtypack (09-20-2014)
Old 01-28-2007
markw

Gee Steph, I hope I'm not "the mutual friend" of you and Klaus with the Tropheus. Seeing your addiction; I would sure feel guilty!!
markw
Old 01-28-2007
buntbarsch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(markw @ Jan 28 2007, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Gee Steph, I hope I'm not "the mutual friend" of you and Klaus with the Tropheus. Seeing your addiction; I would sure feel guilty!!
markw[/b]
Very funny Mark but I'm afraid you are the "mutual friend".

BTW Mark, good to see you here.

Why did you sneak in through the back door????? Were you afraid we would not let you in?????

Talking about addiction, where are the pictures of your new and improved fish room??????

Go Leafs go (4:1) :fies010: :fies010: :fies010:
Old 01-28-2007
cowchick

Yes Markw...you and Klaus were the starter to my obsession!

Where are your pics please?
Old 02-03-2007
markw

Yes Klaus, I tried to sneak in the back door and obviously got caught! I deny any responsibility with "infecting" poor Steph with the disease! I thought she came by to watch a hockey game with us! I wish I could post some decent photos of the fish room, but Klaus keeps putting my "photo skills" to shame. I will try but no promises. By the way, I think I will focus my "expertise" in the years to come with dealing with well water and keeping Cichlids. I've learned a lot and spent alot to keep the stuff pure, but maybe I'll write a book about it, because its not fun. Each water change is an experience. Its kinda like Forrest Gump's " Life is like a box of chocolates.., you' never know what you're gonna get!
markw
Old 02-04-2007
buntbarsch

<div align="center">Mark, stop the excuses. Let's see the pictures of your awesome new fish room. </div>
Old 02-05-2007
jeffmo78

Send a message via Yahoo to jeffmo78

Ok my turn,

I first got into the fish hobby when i was about11 or 12. My brother had a 10gallon aquarium with tetras and the like. Me being the younger impressionable brother I wanted to be like him and get my own tank. He had a 5gallon tank to spare and let me set it up in my room where i kept similar fish. We both did this for about a year before lack of maint and interest killed the fish and the tanks were torn down and stored away. Later in my life I was about 15 and frequented local BBS's (bulletin board systems) to chat and what not with other dial-up computer geeks. While i was on there i meat a college student by the name of Chuck Pollet who had a terrific 150 gallon african cichlid tank. Mixed with all the popular africans...Psudos and haps and fronts. I was instantly hooked and begged for an aquarium that year for my birthday. To my spuprise after much convinving my parents bought me a 55 gallon tank.....NOW I WAS COOKIN! I slowly stocked my tank with an assortment of africans cichlids. I spent all my free time with my tank or my new cichlid friend chucks tank. All was great....but then i found out when i was 17 i'd be moving to Arlington, TX due to my dads career bringing us here. So I sold all my fish to a friend and packed my tank and moved to Texas.

Not long after moving to Texas I re-established my aquarium and began the pursuit of affrican cichlids. I came across a LFS that had a decent collection of african cichlids. The owner recommended that I contact the Texas Cichlid Association and one its memebers Walt Mercer. I did just that. Walt had a massive 180 gallon with O. Nasuta group along with cyps and other tangs i'd never even seen before. We instantly became friends and on many occasions i mowed his lawn in repayment for his aiding my cichlid addiction. We attended many TCA functions times were good! Unfortunatley i grew up (turned 18)...or thought i did anyways and became too cool for cichlids and my aquariums. Thinking that socializing and getting into trouble suited me better. I sold my tanks (or gave them away would be a better description) and fell out of the hobby and into what i refer to as "darkness". I spent about 10 years in darkness. Living it up and having fun. Well as we all do we eventually settle down....I got married. Decided to jump right back into the hobby. I went and bought a 150 gallon aquarium with the money my parents gave us as a wedding present. Went to a TCA auction and really stocked my tank up. BUt.....there was still something missing....still a empty feeling of "been there, done that" plus...my wife was in the picture now and it is hard to convince a non hobbyist female that 1 pretty fish and 6 silver fish (i.e. O. Nasuta, boops,ventralis) we're going to be fun and exciting...She wanted pretty blue, red and yellow ones. So to suit both of our needs i purchased the fish that make up your typical malawi habitat. They spawned right away as i knew they would. Well i started reading about tropheus....mostly because i found it hard to belive that they were as difficult to keep as many have claimed and I wanted a challenge. At the same time i was doing my research i was also at the FOTAS convention winning a 100gallon tank in a raffle. This was my chance. My wife had her tank....now I could have mine. So...I waited for a good deal to roll around and pounced on it. I purchase 20 zongwe juvi's and jumped into tropheus. Had my bad xp and lost half of them...but found another good deal and added to my colony. Now i have 35 zongwe 24 of which are grown adults. We're moving to a different apartment in May and I have convinced the wife to let me use the spare bedroom as a fish room as opposed to a guest bedroom. More topheus to come i promise. BTW im 28 now.

Jeff

P.s. I hope i didnt kill the mood with such a long post but i felt inclined to share.
Old 02-07-2007
HornPlayer54

Thanks for filling us in Jeff! Welcome!
Old 02-28-2007
hazard

Send a message via MSN to hazard

I killed my first tropheus in 1986 or so. It was a red saddle moori(trade name). Since then I have killed my share of lfs bought tropheus. In 2003 I bought some bembas from cichlidlovers.com. Since then I found local breeders to buy fish from.

Chris
Old 04-22-2007
mr troph

I got into Aquariums as a 14 year old once I got my first job I was spending my pay on various community fish and tanks at ridiculously overprice lfs. I soon lost interest and lent some tanks and equiment to freinds. I got back into the hobby when I moved out of home as a 19 year old and again went with a planted comunity tank. I meet a local breeder of Africans mostly Malawis and decided I would stock as 6ft with them. I learned of Tanganyikan species, They seemed so much more interesting than those of malawis and I bought some Fronts. I was reading up on all the Tangs I could and discovered Tropheus they were very rare in Aust and especially in my area. I set up a 6ft tank to house 15 Duboisi the day before I got them. Naturally contracted bloat and died. Soon after I got a few Moliros from LFS and later a few more at a town near by. I had learned some valuable leasons and have been able to keep them alive and breeding for the past 4-5 years. Late last year I contacted Dave (Moliroman) and Jamie (Pardog) and got a colony of Golden Kazumba and Mpulungu at a great price.
I am in the proccess of building a fish room wich will hold 5000ltrs heaps of T's and other Tangs and some Discus aswell I have keeped Discus in the past but have not had much success with them. Though I'm hopeing this will change with the imformation I now have.

Todd
"Kazumba"