Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-12-2015
xXxTooL

::Profile::
Default new tank soon what to do?

hello all,
so i am planning on starting a new troph tank to replace a 77 i'm decommissioning. i really liked the compact look of the 48" tank so i'm thinking of going to a 48"x24"x24" (which i believe is 120gallon) that has a 40 gallon sump built in. i do have some questions though...
first and foremost, is a wide tank a good choice for trophs? i generally see long tanks for the most part.
when running a sump do people also run supplementary filtration? i have an eheim pro 3 that i can include if the sump is not enough.
and finally... can i run 2 - 15 fish colony's in a tank of this size?
sorry for the extended question but this will be my first sump to date.
Old 12-12-2015
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxTooL View Post
hello all,
so i am planning on starting a new troph tank to replace a 77 i'm decommissioning. i really liked the compact look of the 48" tank so i'm thinking of going to a 48"x24"x24" (which i believe is 120gallon) that has a 40 gallon sump built in. i do have some questions though...
first and foremost, is a wide tank a good choice for trophs? i generally see long tanks for the most part.
when running a sump do people also run supplementary filtration? i have an eheim pro 3 that i can include if the sump is not enough.
Long tanks are best for Tropheus, and your 48x24x24 sounds like a very good starting point for the amount of Tropheus your looking to get. The sump and Eheim will be great as well to create water movement which is very beneficial to Tropheus, (Most In the wild are near the surge areas where the wind is constantly creating waves) you can run 2x15 Tropheus but if you want the BEST situation for optimum colors and breeding do 1x30!! Good luck
Old 12-12-2015
xXxTooL

i appreciate the advice man.
i just got over a group of ilangi that i had since 2008 and have been slowly dwindling away. i'm just feeling like i need a refresher on things.
The Following User Says Thank You to xXxTooL For This Useful Post:
JkdJedi (12-13-2015)
Old 12-14-2015
Jumpman

Keeping: Sp Black Bemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxTooL View Post
hello all,
I've kept and bred Tropheus in this sized tank before and about to start a new Bemba colony in this tank size this week. Longer would be better but it's as large as I can have. I've had over 20 in this tank size with Sp Black Kiriza.
Old 12-14-2015
xXxTooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
I've kept and bred Tropheus in this sized tank before and about to start a new Bemba colony in this tank size this week. Longer would be better but it's as large as I can have. I've had over 20 in this tank size with Sp Black Kiriza.
i'd love to see this if you took a photo. after coming off of my ilangi i'm also considering whether i go back being they were such a great variant or to try a different troph.
Old 01-06-2016
Jumpman

Keeping: Sp Black Bemba

Sure here's a couple of pics of the tank, when they were younger, and adult, sorry pics aren't the best quality.

[IMG][/IMG]

And here's the tank now with new bemba in it:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumpman For This Useful Post:
flyn dutchmn (01-06-2016), xXxTooL (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016
xXxTooL

great looking photos man. really cool/stylish looking tank too.
The Following User Says Thank You to xXxTooL For This Useful Post:
Jumpman (01-07-2016)