Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 01-12-2011
Matt123

::Profile::

I just got a group of 19 2.5" murago greens from a local seller this past sunday. They are in a barebottom 70g with pvc pipe structure and 2 large cycled sponge filters. Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is very low, I changed 100% of water before getting these guys in there. They swim around very actively and look really hungry so I'm stumped as to why they arn't actually feeding. If they weren't starting to develop a slightly concave stomach, I'd give it a few days but since these are my first trophs I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask you guys. I cannot say any look to be stressed or unhealthy. Many times they gather up at the top when I come over and eat the food but immediately spit it out. I have tried: spiruline flake the seller used which I believe to be from kens fish, omega one veggie flakes and omega one kelp flakes, nls 1mm cichlid food, frozen mysis, chopped spinach, nori seaweed and tropical cichlid flakes. I've seen a couple keep down the nori and the nls with garlic juice but other than that, nothing seems to please. It's wednesday now so its been 3 days. The fact that transporting them to my tank was only a 20 minute drive makes me think 3 days to start eating is a bit long. Should I be worried or will they probably turn around once they really get hungry? Any other foods I should try on them? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011
dylandutka@hotmail.com

well to start i'd go to the seach function and research "bloat". hopefully your fish don't have presentation resembling anything you read there

best of luck with your new fish
Old 01-12-2011
janet76

When we first started getting trophs the place we bought them from was giving them zuccini. He attached it to a rock and let it sit on the bottom and the fish would pick at it. This might be something to try.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt123 @ Jan 12 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I just got a group of 19 2.5" murago greens from a local seller this past sunday. They are in a barebottom 70g with pvc pipe structure and 2 large cycled sponge filters. Ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is very low, I changed 100% of water before getting these guys in there. They swim around very actively and look really hungry so I'm stumped as to why they arn't actually feeding. If they weren't starting to develop a slightly concave stomach, I'd give it a few days but since these are my first trophs I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask you guys. I cannot say any look to be stressed or unhealthy. Many times they gather up at the top when I come over and eat the food but immediately spit it out. I have tried: spiruline flake the seller used which I believe to be from kens fish, omega one veggie flakes and omega one kelp flakes, nls 1mm cichlid food, frozen mysis, chopped spinach, nori seaweed and tropical cichlid flakes. I've seen a couple keep down the nori and the nls with garlic juice but other than that, nothing seems to please. It's wednesday now so its been 3 days. The fact that transporting them to my tank was only a 20 minute drive makes me think 3 days to start eating is a bit long. Should I be worried or will they probably turn around once they really get hungry? Any other foods I should try on them? Thanks.[/b]
Old 01-12-2011
letsmakeadeal

Send a message via Yahoo to letsmakeadeal

You need to find out what the previous owner was feeding them and offer that food...I would check the water temp at about 80 degrees. Be prepared with metro if they don't start eating soon..
:dry:
Old 01-12-2011
tom_patriot

My first suggestion would be to stop trying all kinds of new foods. Use only the flake food that you got from the seller. Introduction of new foods shoud be done gradually.

If they are spitting out the sellers flake food then IMO I would start treating for bloat. I would use Clout but that is just what I have used in the past. Research the many threads on this site for info on treating bloat.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2011
Matt123

Ugh that is really unfortunate news. I had originally thought that only feeding a diet too high in protein caused bloat but after reading some threads it seems as though it can spread throughout a tank at almost any time. I will try to track down some metronidazole and clout tomorrow but if not it would arrive here by mail friday. I really hope it is treated quick enough if bloat is indeed the case : / thanks.
Old 01-12-2011
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt123 @ Jan 12 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Ugh that is really unfortunate news. I had originally thought that only feeding a diet too high in protein caused bloat but after reading some threads it seems as though it can spread throughout a tank at almost any time. I will try to track down some metronidazole and clout tomorrow but if not it would arrive here by mail friday. I really hope it is treated quick enough if bloat is indeed the case : / thanks.[/b]
I've seen newly acquired fish not eat for a week so don't push the panic button yet. Do prepare for the worst and hope for the best though. They are active and thats a VERY good sign that things are still good. Be patient and give them time to settle in. Temps at 80 is a great tip. add half a tablespoon of EPSOM salt for every 5 gallons of water to help sooth them a little. (just do this once!) If and when you do a water change you'll still have enough of that salt in there so don't add more. That's more info than needed on salt, but the main thing is JUST BE PATIENT!

and congrats on your new catch!