Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 09-07-2014
Thirtypack

::Profile::
Keeping: F1 Kabimba Canary, Malawi Haps and Peacocks

Patience I have. I like watching things mature. The color morphs, watching them put on size, etc. Love reading the different experiences people have. And all the input.
Old 09-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
Andrew, they are looking incredible. Growing super quick. Males are just over 3" now. I think I've got 3 or 4 females from the larger ones you sent. I just had another spawn this morning. That's 3 in the last 10 days, so definitely 3 breeding females.

Males stripes are pretty solid now. A little black in the stripe but I'm sure that will go away as they continue to grow.

To the original poster, just have patience. They will breed when they are ready. Water changes, as I said, work wonders. So keep them up and they will breed eventually.
Nice! They come from a Bright Group so you should be in good shape. There are at time anomalies so just weed out that one if he doesn't turn out to you're liking.

And I agree! Water Consistent water changes are the Key.

But I have regular filter maintenance as well Substrate cleaning will put the colony over the top as far condition! I can always tell when the filter/ substrate is due as the color don't quite pop as much after the water change. Both can be tricky as you can't see inside of canister filters and Substrate can look nice from the top but be filled with powder fine solid waste.
Old 09-20-2014
pkut

I keep my substrate less then an inch thick (#4 aragonite). It is coarse, and because of that, it doesn't trap much waste that I would need to vacuum out of it. Because of this, I just about never have to bother with it. The male Tropheus still move this substrate as they see fit. It's a win win situation for me and them!
I change about 2/3rds of my tank water weekly. I feed my Tropheus high quality food, which is low protein with digestive clays in it. They do very well on this food.
Using this husbandry, my Tropheus grow well and usually begin to breed (and actually hold their eggs to term) at anywhere from 14 to 18 months old.
I understand when people speak of their younger Tropheus breeding. My do also quite a bit, but in most cases, there are no long term holds or fry realized form these breedings.
As Pam has said here, it's not the size, but the age that triggers sucessful breeding.
I wish everyone here luck with their fish and hope they breed for you. This is one of the most rewarding parts of keeping Tropheus.