Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tankmates

Notices

Tropheus Tankmates Discussion of compatible Tropheus tankmates.

Old 08-06-2010
Bluetangclan

::Profile::

I hear both of these do well with Trophs. I know little about either of them. I am considering putting a troph tank together with Troph Chataka Blue rainbows. What is the bright blue Cyp called? Are the gobies actually true gobies of the Goby family or are they just called that? Will either of these breed in the aquarium? What other species of troph could I get without probable danger of cross breeding? In a 75 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump what kind of numbers am I looking at for tank load? Was thinking 15ish of the Blue Rainbowsas they are what I primarily want to keep and breed, anything else is just gravey. probably will not go with another Troph species, but would like to know my options.
Old 08-06-2010
mmillerr

I asked a similar question a while back.

The gobies will be fine with trophs. I don't think they're true gobies but I could be wrong. More than likely they just got the name from their odd swimming, just sort of 'hopping' around on the bottom. I have 8 juvenile Eretmodus 'Ikola Red' in my 75 with T. 'Golden Kazumba' and they don't even seem to notice each other. The eretmodus pick off the small bits of food that get washed into the rocks where the trophs can't get to it so I feel that they help keep the uneaten food to a minimum.

As far as the cyps I've been told that it will be OK but I've also been told that the trophs will harass the cyps and it wouldn't work. I'm still planning on trying it myself to see how it works when I come across a good deal on cyps. I have several fellow club members that are breeding Utinta's and as soon as they get some grown enough I'll be adding a group.

I'm sure you'll find on your own that there are a variety of opinions offered here. The trick is to take that advice, do your own research and then do what you think will work. If you guess wrong it's just another bit of fish wisdom but if it works it's cool.

Mark
Old 08-06-2010
Bluetangclan

Oh yeah, I am aware about forums, been doing reef tanks for over a decade now. You want to talk about different philosophies of doing things go to a reef forum. The war between bare bottom and deep sand bed guys has been going on for years and the true adherents to their perspective views refuse to budge that their way is right and that is just one battle among many.

I read somewhere that gobies are pretty territorial, how many can one put into a 75 gallon without them going homicidal on each other??
Old 08-06-2010
mmillerr

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bluetangclan @ Aug 6 2010, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Oh yeah, I am aware about forums, been doing reef tanks for over a decade now. You want to talk about different philosophies of doing things go to a reef forum. The war between bare bottom and deep sand bed guys has been going on for years and the true adherents to their perspective views refuse to budge that their way is right and that is just one battle among many.

I read somewhere that gobies are pretty territorial, how many can one put into a 75 gallon without them going homicidal on each other??[/b]
I know that I've read that either Spathodus or Tangynocodus are a lot more territorial than eretmodus. I don't expect any problems with my eretmodus (hopefully).

Mark
Old 08-06-2010
Heather

I kept both erets and tangs with Trophs and Cyps. Many have had great success with this combo.
I found the Tangs and the Cyps got too fin nipped and had to be taken out.
The erets get along great with both Trophs and Petros.
You are correct they are not true members of the goby family, they are cichlids.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmillerr @ Aug 6 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I know that I've read that either Spathodus or Tangynocodus are a lot more territorial than eretmodus. I don't expect any problems with my eretmodus (hopefully).[/b]
IME, the Spaths are the most aggressive, the Tangs are the least aggressive.. and the Erets are in the middle.
JME.
Old 08-06-2010
Bluetangclan

Know anything about this fish, have seen a few of these around andwould they just get nipped by the Trophs? The bright blue with the yellow egg spots just looks cool.</span></span>
Old 08-06-2010
cichlidomaha

IMHO: These guys are too Jumpy and delicate to be kept with The Trophs. The Trophs would nip at their finnage and harass them to a point of Stressing them. So they would not be a good mix with trophs. They also need much more protien in their diet than Trophs. Different Diet requirements. Don't mix with throps. Stick with The Goby Cichlids or Petrochromis.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bluetangclan @ Aug 6 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Know anything about this fish, have seen a few of these around andwould they just get nipped by the Trophs? The bright blue with the yellow egg spots just looks cool.</span></span>[/b]
Old 11-09-2010
jamey_cc

Ventralis get nasty territorial when breeding too... saw a video the other day of a small male keeping a tank of petros up in the corner of a large tank... in my experience ventralis are like a calmer yet equally nippy troph... they move calmer but when they put on the agression its hard and fast.i think a small group of trophs would be dominated while a large group would get too many easy nips on the ventralis. You might be able to find a balance using rock pile terretories to give the trophs a place to go but either way, vents need a larger than 75g. They're a 5 - 6' tank typa fish and sandy bottom atleast half the tank