Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 05-25-2015
dannyt

::Profile::
Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carddude123 View Post
sometimes sellers are more concerned about cash rather then health of the fish. Sad day.
True mate. Or the health of hobbyists stressing out over the health of their fish...
Old 05-25-2015
eeztropheus

Keeping: F1 ilangi, F1 bulu point, tank raised duboisi maswa

IME most of the time people in general tend to overstate the size of their fry, .75" is always .5" and 1.5" is always 1". Not to mention how much bulkier a 3" adult troph is compared to a 1" fry.
Old 05-25-2015
dannyt

Quote:
sometimes sellers are more concerned about cash rather then health of the fish. Sad day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeztropheus View Post
IME most of the time people in general tend to overstate the size of their fry, .75" is always .5" and 1.5" is always 1". Not to mention how much bulkier a 3" adult troph is compared to a 1" fry.
I agree that is generally the case...there is a number of great sellers here that are legit with their sizing...that is, unfortunately, one of the challenges of buying privately. I am glad on this forum we can report our experiences and there is data to point buyers in the right direction.

It is one thing when fry size is advertised correctly, even if <1" it's your call if you know upfront. It's another thing altogether when you think you're getting 1.25"+ and you get 0.5 - 0.75" and some die due to being too small to handle the stress of being moved.

Some of the good folks here give you all the details straight up and stand by their fish & shipping quality. To them I say thank you!!

My plea to sellers is to be integrous with advertising fry size so the buyer gets what they're expecting, is happy about their experience, and praises you publicly. Word of mouth on a forum like this is gold or poop depending on the experience you provide for your buyers!

My encouragement to buyers is to check out seller thoroughly, get pics, and beware of buying fry <1".

Hope y'all had a great MD weekend. Snap up those LAA discounts!!

Danny

Last edited by dannyt; 05-26-2015 at 09:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeztropheus View Post
I've come across this very often with fry sellers.

When I got the Tanz Murago from Disc, he said the fry were at least 1" and they were okay to put with the adults. They were closer to 1.5" than 1".

Under promising and over producing is the way to go. Or at least be straight up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015
carddude123

Keeping: Ilagni & Dubois Maswa

I had an usual exp once I bought 4 Moba frontosas and the seller said they were 3-4" but when I got them they were more like 5-6". Very uncommon. Normally us guys can't tell size very well. But I definitely wasn't upset about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to carddude123 For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015
carddude123

Default Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
I agree that is generally the case...there is a number of great sellers here that are legit with their sizing...that is, unfortunately, one of the challenges of buying privately. I am glad on this forum we can report our experiences and there is data to point buyers in the right direction.

It is one thing when fry size is advertised correctly, even if <1" it's your call if you know upfront. It's another thing altogether when you thing you're getting 1.25"+ and you get 0.5 - 0.75" and some die due to being too small to handle the stress of being moved.

Some of the good folks here give you all the details straight up and stand by their fish & shipping quality. To them I say thank you!!

My plea to sellers is to be integrous with advertising fry size integrous so the buyer gets what they're expecting.

My encouragement to buyers is to check out seller thoroughly, get pics, and beware of buying fry <1".

Hope y'all had a great MD weekend. Snap up those LAA discounts!!

Danny
I too am glad we can express opinions without being chastised by admin. I once paid for 4 Moba frontosas from Houston Fishbox and the seller disappeared and never shipped my fish. I heard later that he had done this to other people. I posted a comment and didn't mention his name, user ID of phone number and said if anyone wanted to know what happen just contact me. Well the administrator gave me 5 refraction points which can lead to you being banned. To my knowledge they nothing to him. I was out $400.

To make it worse he asked me to send the paypal pmt as friend instead of goods and services son he wouldn't lose the fee. But PayPal won't stand behind you if the money is sent via family and friends they told me to contact him, but he wouldn't answer calls, pm's, emails or txt. So now I always do goods and service and add the 3% if the seller is worried about the fee. BUYER BEWARE AND BE EDUCATED!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carddude123 For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-26-2015), Mastiffman (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015
dannyt

Quote:
I too am glad we can express opinions without being chastised by admin. I once paid for 4 Moba frontosas from Houston Fishbox and the seller disappeared and never shipped my fish. I heard later that he had done this to other people. I posted a comment and didn't mention his name, user ID of phone number and said if anyone wanted to know what happen just contact me. Well the administrator gave me 5 refraction points which can lead to you being banned. To my knowledge they nothing to him. I was out $400.

To make it worse he asked me to send the paypal pmt as friend instead of goods and services son he wouldn't lose the fee. But PayPal won't stand behind you if the money is sent via family and friends they told me to contact him, but he wouldn't answer calls, pm's, emails or txt. So now I always do goods and service and add the 3% if the seller is worried about the fee. BUYER BEWARE AND BE EDUCATED!!!
That is SHOCKING . How bad is it when the admin of a public site protects sellers who rip innocent buyers off. What that seller did was fraudulent & stealing and is against the law. What better way to protect others than the "wall of shame" as Mastiffman calls it . But the police could have been involved to right? Maybe you could post the sellers details on any other site that allows it? That person deserves to be exposed and others made aware. End of rant. Sorry folks
Old 05-26-2015
Mastiffman

Yes, this is very unfortunate. There are people out there in the world that are basically "Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" and will take advantage of people with any chance that they can, thinking that they will get away with it.

I've often thought about just a plain ole site with a list that gives names and information of those that have taken advantage of people in this community. I don't think that it would be a small list either.

In the end "word of mouth" is one of the best forms of advertisement that there is. Good OR bad... So no matter what happens to each and every person that becomes a true victim, tell people about it... Don't just think that you are the only one that this happens to. There is power in the people and strength in numbers!

BUT Also remember to share your good experiences with people that deserve it! This will help the people working hard to provide quality fish and service to thrive at what they do, ensuring that they will be supported!

The last thing that I can recommend is that each of us, both buyer and seller, be understanding and always be willing to try and give the benefit of the doubt. Because after all... If someone is willing to make things right in one way or another, in a fair manner, that will end with a positive experience.

I've seen numerous times where people (both buyer and seller) were unfairly treated because of irrational thinking. So being rational, fair and understanding on both side is the key to a smooth transaction and relationship and will ultimately keep this and any community thriving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-26-2015), Rabidrasbora (06-21-2015)
Old 05-26-2015
carddude123

I tend to be on Greg's 3 websites more that fishbox because of these issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to carddude123 For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015
Andrew_B

Afternoon guys -

I have a feeling this topic was brought up because of me. Yes, I have/do advertise and sell my Ndole fry at a small size as I don't have a designated growout for them like I do all my other fish I breed. I did just set up a tank to grow them out more and am pulling them off the market until proper size. When you have 6 different sp. reds, it makes growing out a little challenging. My price is adjusted to the small size and I do have a live arrival guarantee as well, even on priority shipping.

That being said, if an issue does occur, I am only able to attempt to resolve if I am informed about it. When the last I hear about an order is that everything arrived safe and healthy then get a PM by a site admin 2 weeks later in regards to an issue on that order, that puts a twist in my stomach.

I have excellent feedback on aquabid with a large amount of repeat buyers for personal and commercial needs both, even though I'm fairly new to this site. Issues I have control over, I handle and take care of. I tend to cater to a more beginner crowd because of my prices. Not everyone can afford/is willing to throw 300-400 or even 1000+ on a WC colony just to get into the tropheus hobby. Even though I've done it way way too many times myself!

Now back to the conversation in regards to shipping size. My ideal size to ship and receive fish is around the 1.00"-1.25" size. That's the size I personally request when I order in for myself as I've had the most success with. Under that may be too small, sure, but as again, I assume everything is fine until someone contacts me and says otherwise. What I've noticed, based on personal experience, that when a fish gets used to a body of water (or tank) condition, it's harder for them to adjust to change. I'm from Houston, which is probably the highest density of troph/petros around. We have access to everything here. You would not believe how often I hear people losing whole colonies of adult fish between tank transfers. That always confused me as it feels like adult trophs are bulletproof when in your possession for a while.

Well there's my 0.02 on the issue at hand. And on the other issue, I will take the feedback given to heart as mentioned above.

Well, not exactly the way I wanted to do a "meet and greet" but:
Hi, my name is Andrew, and like all of you, I have a fish problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew_B For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-26-2015), Mastiffman (05-26-2015)