Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 11-18-2014
rufretic

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Maswa, Ulwile, Bulu point, Moops, Nkonde, Lufubu, Pemba
Default Tank size for raising breeding group

Hello,
This is my first post :-)
I have a few groups of young trophs. Each group is anywhere from 10-15. I have some of them together in small tanks right now and they seem to be doing fine but I've purchased a couple 75s and 125s for their permanent homes. Is it ok to put such a small group of small fish in tanks that big or will it cause issues? I'd like to get them in ASAP because I'll be able to feed more withou having water quality issues so I'm hoping I can grow them a little faster but I'm worried about aggression issues with such a large space and so few fish. Let me know what you think.
Thank you,
Lou

Last edited by rufretic; 11-18-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

I have grown fry in 75's and the growth rate is great! 15 fry in a 75 will be fine.

I know other members here fry in much larger tanks as well.

If the 125's dont have overflows, it should be ok.

If the tanks have overflows, it will be hard to prevent a lot of food going down the over flow especially if you feed flake food.

Another concern is at feeding, with only 15 very small fry, it might be hard to get them properly fed.

What I might do is put several of the smaller groups in the 125 together so that you can feed a bit heavier thus giving everyone a greater opportunity to eat while not putting unneassary amounts of food in the water. Let them grow in there together for a while until they are a bit bigger and then begin to split them up.

I might also consider using sinking pellets/crumbles as a food source, turning the filters off at feeding time.

When I grow fry out, I step them up through a couple tank sizes so that I can target feed a bit better. I find that it makes for more well fed fish, cleaner water, and smaller easy water changes.

I think in the end, I might step them up to a 75 for a few months, and then up again to the 125's once they are a bit bigger. They will really pick up speed when you move them into the big water.

Lastly, I dont think that it will hurt them, and the worst that will happen is you find that you are having a tough time feeding them with out making a mess...and you can always move them to another tank.

You may also find that it works for you,figure out a few tricks, and then you can come back and share your experience with us!

Have fun with it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
dahling (11-20-2014), rufretic (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014
rufretic

Great info, thank you.

My 125 will have two 525gph canisters and two large sponge filters. I'll try to post a pic tonight. I feed all my trophs alge nls pellets. They are a little bigger than fry I think, 1-1.5"

I was also thinking about putting a divider in the 125s so I could keep 4 colonies in the two tanks without having to worry about hybrids but I'd rather each group have thier own tank for display purposes. I'm hoping the 10-15 will grow a larger population in time.
Old 11-18-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

That should work to grow them out in. Those pellets probable sink pretty quick and at that size, the fry are pretty confident in the water and sturdy.

I think you'll be fine.

And yes, I would get them all their own tank. you will be more pleased that way...and yes...their population will grow for you.

Be sure to post some pics!
Old 11-20-2014
rufretic

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2014
rufretic

Just an update, I got two groups into my 135. I ended up dividing it for now so I can keep more groups with the tanks I have available. As they grow I will give each their own. What a difference I notice already in just 2 days. I know it sounds funny but they actually seem happier. They are all grazing where in the smaller tank they seemed to just be searching the top half of the tank almost in a paniced maner. They all seem to be colored better as well. I was worried the move might stress them but they actually seem much less stressed. Plus feeding was much easier to target the smaller fish and make sure everyone got some. Larger is deffinitly better at least in this case. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2014
Mastiffman

Good to hear.

It's typical that when the Variants are in with only their kind that they display better. There is typically always a more dominant group.

Larger space and fewer fish? not an issue. From my expereince it's when you have fewer fish in a smaller space. really it boils down to "fewer fish". Aggressive fish like these are always better kept in decent numbers. I'd say 10-15+ is best.

75 gallons are a very popular choice for tropheus colonies and they do seem to spawn more with the more typically unproductive types but as long as you keep them in pristine water they should do well.

Remember that each colony is a bit different in its dynamics, so what may work for one may not work for another. you just have to pay attention and get to know the colony as a whole and individually so you can detect any issues earlier on.

Looking forward to a few shots or even video if you have the time.

Welcome to forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
rufretic (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015
rufretic

Just wanted to follow up. I should of moved them sooner! After only 2 months some fish have doubled in size and I even have one group trying to breed already. In the smaller tanks in three months I saw little to no growth. A lot of this has to do with feeding 3 times a day now instead of once but in the smaller tanks I would of never been able to keep up with the nitrates. Now with so much more water, I can feed a lot more often with the same amount of food at each feeding as I did with only one feeding and one big water change a week keeps everything good. I go through a lot of water but thankfully I'm on well water.

So overall yes, big difference and I would always recomend larger is better. Only issue I'm having which I'm sure happens in any size tank is that I do have a few runts that don't seem to have grown. I notice they only get a pellet at a time and tend to spit it and then try again and the better growers are starting to steal it from them when they spit so they end up with very little food. To help with this I've started to crush half the pellets before feeding so hopefully I can get them to catch up and start taking full pellets better.