Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 09-18-2014
Troyale

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point
Default What size grow out tank?

Interested in knowing what size tanks most use for grow out tanks. I use to put my fry in a floating nursery made out of a tuperware with holes driled into it. I felt like it slowed their growth, so i started using 10 g and 40 breeders. I would like to put them back with the original colonies, but i have comps and calvus in all my trophs tanks.
Old 09-18-2014
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

As big as you can. I use 300 gallon totes. Sometimes I use 75s. Just depends on how many fry And your goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyfront33 For This Useful Post:
Troyale (09-19-2014)
Old 09-18-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

It depends on how big they are, but if just released then I usually put them in a 10 or 20 gallon tank. As they get larger, they get moved to a 55.

As long as they don't fit in the adult fishes mouth and you have some good cover, you can add back to your group if you want to.

I find as my groups get older they are more apt to spit and less issues with adults eating the fry. But I do think the key is providing cover. I prefer a tank loaded with cover, so that could be a reason more fry survive as well.

Stripping is really a personal choice, it depends on how bad you want the fry. If you are going for the maximum amount of fry possible, stripping is the prefered method. If you have never stripped a fish before, you might want to practice on some Malawi fish. Its fairly easy once you get the concept, but I hate to see someone practice on Tropheus. The same goes for tumbling, practice on Malawi cichlids, you don't want to practice with Tropheus!

Once you learn how to tumble and strip you can apply this knowledge to any mouthbrooding cichlids.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
The Following User Says Thank You to Pam Chin For This Useful Post:
Troyale (09-19-2014)
Old 09-18-2014
Mastiffman

I usually wait a good 2-3 weeks after spawning and then strip the female and put the fry into a breeder net in the grow out tanks. Which are typically 40-50 breeders. AI have one 4ft 55g grow out. Once they hit a good size I release them into the grow out tank.

They grow just like the others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Troyale (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014
troutwader

I have a friend who never strips his fish and his fry numbers are crazy good. His fry grow faster than anything I've ever seen. He does 95% water changes on his tanks three times a week and feeds them like crazy. All of his fry reach 2" within two months or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Troyale (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014
Troyale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
As big as you can. I use 300 gallon totes. Sometimes I use 75s. Just depends on how many fry And your goals.
I like the sound of the 300 gallon totes. My job had a 150 gallon tote that they were giving away because it was leaking. I considered taking it and try to fix the leak and use it for a grow out tank for fry but i passed on it. I have a 75 that i have partitioned into two halfs that i was thinking of using if my fry numbers increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Chin View Post
Stripping is really a personal choice, it depends on how bad you want the fry. If you are going for the maximum amount of fry possible, stripping is the prefered method. If you have never stripped a fish before, you might want to practice on some Malawi fish. Its fairly easy once you get the concept, but I hate to see someone practice on Tropheus. The same goes for tumbling, practice on Malawi cichlids, you don't want to practice with Tropheus!
Once you learn how to tumble and strip you can apply this knowledge to any mouthbrooding cichlids.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
I have no problem stripping them, but i really dont enjoy it. Im scared sometimes that i might squeeze them to tight. But what i did do a few weeks ago that worked, was net the troph and dip it in and out the water 5-10 times and she spit out all the fry in the net. I noticed the time prior that I stripped fry, when i was trying to get the net situated in the container to get a grip on the fish, she spit 1 in the net. I stripped 3 fry but couldnt get the last one out. So i dipped the net in and out several times and she spit the last one out, so i decided to try it the last time and it worked like a charm. Both females were red ndole and about 2.75". I felt like it might of been a little rough on her but might of been better than me trying to grip her at that small size with my big hands. I have a nkonde and red bulu both at 3.5" holding now, so im going to try the technique on them and see if it works.
Does anyone feel like that is a harsh way to strip fry?

Last edited by Troyale; 09-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2014
Troyale

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutwader View Post
I have a friend who never strips his fish and his fry numbers are crazy good. His fry grow faster than anything I've ever seen. He does 95% water changes on his tanks three times a week and feeds them like crazy. All of his fry reach 2" within two months or so.
I guess with the large water changes several times gives them fesh water without any pheromones or growth inhibitors allow them to grow faster with the addition of the increased feedings. I've been told the more fresh water you provide the better growth rate you will have, i.e the more water changes the more the fish grow. Do you know if he feeds a high protein diet while they are fry or more veggie based?

Last edited by Troyale; 09-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
I have no problem stripping them, but i really dont enjoy it. Im scared sometimes that i might squeeze them to tight. But what i did do a few weeks ago that worked, was net the troph and dip it in and out the water 5-10 times and she spit out all the fry in the net. I noticed the time prior that I stripped fry, when i was trying to get the net situated in the container to get a grip on the fish, she spit 1 in the net. I stripped 3 fry but couldnt get the last one out. So i dipped the net in and out several times and she spit the last one out, so i decided to try it the last time and it worked like a charm. Both females were red ndole and about 2.75". I felt like it might of been a little rough on her but might of been better than me trying to grip her at that small size with my big hands. I have a nkonde and red bulu both at 3.5" holding now, so im going to try the technique on them and see if it works.
Does anyone feel like that is a harsh way to strip fry?
It is a lot of work!!!!

It just takes practice, and everyone does it a little different. But, the fish are heartier then you think, and try holding the fish in your hand like you would a cigarrette lighter, head of fish = top of lighter, and you can losen or increase your grip easily. Also do it over a 5 gal bucket with water, so if you drop her, she is going to fall into the bucket. Use your other hand to hold the bottom lip down and shake them in the water.

It shouldn't be an ordeal, and as you get better at it, it goes faster. I doubt the female even knows what is going on, let alone remembering it.

another option is also a neat thing about tropheus is to see the maternal parental care, and moving females to smaller quarters with a little rock rubble is a great way to observe this.

Of course the ultimate joy is to observe it in your group tank.

Cichlid Power!
Pam