Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 09-02-2014
Thirtypack

::Profile::
Keeping: F1 Kabimba Canary, Malawi Haps and Peacocks
Default At what size?

I know that there are many variables, but assuming all fish are healthy, and water conditions are excellent, in general is there a certain size or age trophs will produce viable fry. Specifically I am asking about brichardi.
Old 09-02-2014
Mastiffman

It can vary a bit but typically F1 will start to reproduce successfully around 2.5"-3" (closer to 3" in my experience.
Old 09-02-2014
Thirtypack

Ok. These guys are around 2 to 2 1/2 inches. But the males are non stop dancing and trying to lure the females over with some success. Just mock breeding I assume. If they keep up at this rate, they will shake themselves to death. Still, alot of fun to watch. What a beautiful variant they are. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-03-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

It is not size but age that determines sexual maturity.

Most Tropheus are sexually mature at 12 - 18 months old. But keep in mind that even if they are sexually mature it can take some practice before they are successful!

Now is the time to get your foods figured out, your water change routine down pat, then once they are able to breed you' ll have them in prime condition. Water changes & Foods are big keys to success!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam Chin For This Useful Post:
websterzx10r (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014
Thirtypack

I've got them on YFS super veggie flake, and New Era cichlid green. Both quality foods. Water is always pristine in my tanks with once a week wc's. So looks like its a waiting game, which I'm in no hurry. I was just curious because of the constant mock breeding that I'm seeing. Very cool to watch the pecking order taking place. Hopefully it will go through its course with no casualties due to aggression. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-03-2014
Mastiffman

I probably should have mentioned that as well. IF, Just IF Properly Cared for through Quality food and weekly water changes (including substrate siphoning) as well as proper filter maintenance..

Tropheus should typically hit close to by the age 12-18 months easy. This was my point.
Old 09-05-2014
fishboy

My ikolas are breeding. Females are about 2.5". I've had three spawns and no successful hold yet, but I bought them from Andrew and he estimated they were born in January. So they are pretty young. Just keep up with water changes. They work wonders.
Old 09-06-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

I have a young F2 chipimbi colony that I bought 4 months ago with fish size ranging 1-2". The breeder said at that time that the biggest ones were about 4-5 months old. I have had 2 mouthfuls from the same female over the past 6 weeks. She has only help 2-6 days each time but she'll get there eventually. I have had bembas breed at about 12 months ths of age but was pretty amazed by the early start of this particular chipimbi girl
Old 09-06-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
My ikolas are breeding. Females are about 2.5". I've had three spawns and no successful hold yet, but I bought them from Andrew and he estimated they were born in January. So they are pretty young. Just keep up with water changes. They work wonders.

Yep. Not knowing exact age on the F1 colonies that I raised, they all seemed to start spawning by 2.5-2.75" and then started holding successfully by 3"...

BTW, how are those looking?
Old 09-07-2014
fishboy

Andrew, they are looking incredible. Growing super quick. Males are just over 3" now. I think I've got 3 or 4 females from the larger ones you sent. I just had another spawn this morning. That's 3 in the last 10 days, so definitely 3 breeding females.

Males stripes are pretty solid now. A little black in the stripe but I'm sure that will go away as they continue to grow.

To the original poster, just have patience. They will breed when they are ready. Water changes, as I said, work wonders. So keep them up and they will breed eventually.