Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis & Simochromis Talk General discussion of Petrochromis and Simochromis.

Old 02-26-2014
ThatBuluThatYouDo

::Profile::
Default Tank size affect aggression?

I've been talking to several people who are also keeping red bulu, and a large majority of them have them in 120gal to 180gal tanks with an average group of ten to eighteen adults/subadults. Almost all of these guys are also reporting very little if at all any aggression, with several spawns being common. .

Now I've got ten young (4" to 5") red bulu in my 300gal. If I understand correctly, they are not breeding size yet and shouldn't be showing much aggression. However, I've got one male, whom I'm assuming is the alpha male, that is diligent at letting everyone know he is boss, to the point he does more chasing than eating. Thankfully he rarely makes any form of physical contact, so far anyway.

What do you guys think? Does a smaller tank make them more cramped so they aren't as fiesty, where as the larger tank allows them more room to set up territories?
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatBuluThatYouDo For This Useful Post:
gw12269 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014
swk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBuluThatYouDo View Post
I've been talking to several people who are also keeping red bulu, and a large majority of them have them in 120gal to 180gal tanks with an average group of ten to eighteen adults/subadults. Almost all of these guys are also reporting very little if at all any aggression, with several spawns being common. .

Now I've got ten young (4" to 5") red bulu in my 300gal. If I understand correctly, they are not breeding size yet and shouldn't be showing much aggression. However, I've got one male, whom I'm assuming is the alpha male, that is diligent at letting everyone know he is boss, to the point he does more chasing than eating. Thankfully he rarely makes any form of physical contact, so far anyway.

What do you guys think? Does a smaller tank make them more cramped so they aren't as fiesty, where as the larger tank allows them more room to set up territories?
The bigger the tank, the better with petros. They are very close to breeding size and definitely old enough to start showing some serious aggression
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

I had a very influential person tell me that all petros are killers. Sooner or later you will end up with one fish. I know groups are different, and alot of guys have great success. im not sure about long term. I was told that if you decide you must do petros Get them as small F1 juvies so you can enjoy them until they get to breeding size and maturity because then they will start killing each other off.

I do not have any petros. Although i still want them, Just to say i tried. I would like Either Flametails or Yellow Moshi. If i did either. i would only want 4 or so. and put them with my Frontosa, for a show tank. not to try and breed.

Goodluck. I would assume the bigger tank the better, Also maybe lots of water movement. I know that helps in Tropheus tanks.
Old 02-26-2014
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBuluThatYouDo View Post
Does a smaller tank make them more cramped so they aren't as fiesty, where as the larger tank allows them more room to set up territories?
Yes, but think about having more fish from the get go. You're playing with fate with these guys and starting with only 10 in a 300 gallon tank you're already handicapped. As a good example, check out the video that Lies posted about his Bulu/Longola tank.

Me personally, I always shoot for a colony of 20 or more. Wild or F1 doesn't really matter when they're fully grown and even when they're going through adolescence.
Old 02-26-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfront33 View Post
I had a very influential person tell me that all petros are killers. Sooner or later you will end up with one fish. I know groups are different, and alot of guys have great success. im not sure about long term. I was told that if you decide you must do petros Get them as small F1 juvies so you can enjoy them until they get to breeding size and maturity because then they will start killing each other off.

I do not have any petros. Although i still want them, Just to say i tried. I would like Either Flametails or Yellow Moshi. If i did either. i would only want 4 or so. and put them with my Frontosa, for a show tank. not to try and breed.

Goodluck. I would assume the bigger tank the better, Also maybe lots of water movement. I know that helps in Tropheus tanks.
I'll be completely forth coming about this as possible.

Saying that you'll only end up with one petro eventually is a nonsensical statement. So I would just ignore that one. Unless you are only putting like 5 together in smaller tank by themselves. ThenI would say that this may apply.

There are numerous factors that apply in whether or not a colony or any mixed group of fish will successfully cohabitate togther. One just has to pay attention to the colony on a regular basis and try and figure out the nest combination of factors that will encourage peaceful cohabitation.

Yes, as with any fish, you may have a psychotic male here and there and at times even a female. But this is the excetion not the norm... Don't let fear control you when it comes to petros. Grented I've only had Trewavesae at this point but I was against my actions at first and I still didn't fail. But I made the right moves in the process until I was able to create the "optimal" envrionment for them.

My statement is not mena to offend others but to encourage those with doubts. There is risk with any aquarium. Being proactive will greatly lower that risk!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
moorii603 (03-06-2014)
Old 02-26-2014
kyfront33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I'll be completely forth coming about this as possible.

Saying that you'll only end up with one petro eventually is a nonsensical statement. So I would just ignore that one. Unless you are only putting like 5 together in smaller tank by themselves. ThenI would say that this may apply.

There are numerous factors that apply in whether or not a colony or any mixed group of fish will successfully cohabitate togther. One just has to pay attention to the colony on a regular basis and try and figure out the nest combination of factors that will encourage peaceful cohabitation.

Yes, as with any fish, you may have a psychotic male here and there and at times even a female. But this is the excetion not the norm... Don't let fear control you when it comes to petros. Grented I've only had Trewavesae at this point but I was against my actions at first and I still didn't fail. But I made the right moves in the process until I was able to create the "optimal" envrionment for them.

My statement is not mena to offend others but to encourage those with doubts. There is risk with any aquarium. Being proactive will greatly lower that risk!

I understand your opinion. and where you are coming from. However my source has been in this industry a very long time. and has had more petros then probably anyone. And has had this scenario multiple times. and we have talked about this in depth. That is their view. That's why I mentioned that if you must have petros start with small F1 and get a lot and enjoy them until they reach adulthood. because they will become killers. Kinda like a pack of male dogs when a female comes in heat
I have not kept petros. And it isn't a fear thing. Its a money thing.
I know petros are rare and whatnot. But no way would I ever pay what the asking price is for wild, and even 1" F1.. Its my opinion tho. I would never tell someone not to do something that I didn't have first hand knowledge of. I was simply passing along some info.
Old 02-26-2014
SunnyHouTX

I don't think you should be passing that on without first hand experience because there's a lot of circumstances that lead to success with Petros. Sounds like your source of info had very limited experiences with Petros, as in doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome each time.
Old 02-26-2014
kyfront33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
I don't think you should be passing that on without first hand experience because there's a lot of circumstances that lead to success with Petros. Sounds like your source of info had very limited experiences with Petros, as in doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome each time.
Ok. But ill disagree on the limited experience
Old 02-26-2014
SunnyHouTX

Lol I'll change your mind via PM
Old 02-27-2014
ThatBuluThatYouDo

What about adding "cheaper" Petros to the mix to help round the ratio out? Would the different species in there make a difference or cause issues with hybridization?