Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Breeding

Notices

Tropheus Breeding Discussion of Tropheus conditioning, breeding, venting/sexing, fry care and rearing.

Old 09-23-2011
nodima

::Profile::
Default Minimum Size to Buy

I bought 15 fry a couple of weeks ago, and have lost 3 since that time. From reading, it does not sound like this is abnormal, but it is freaking me out a bit. These fry are all 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in length. Is this a mistake on my part to purchase when so small?

They are in a 2.5 gallon rubbermaid container inside a 150 tank. They are small enough they will be eaten by the Compressiceps currently in the tank.

Maybe this is the wrong attitude, but I am already thinking about the next batch, as losing 3 fish in 2 weeks is a fairly high rate.

How fast should they grow at this point?

To avoid other questions, the breeder was feeding them 1mm NLS, which is what I am feeding them also. Water changed in the tank weekly, and the other fish are all doing well - Comps breed regularly etc.

Should I be concerned?
Old 09-23-2011
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I bought 20 Bemba fry that were 5/8" and lost 9. Most died in the first two weeks. Put them in a 120. Probably should have put them in a smaller tank. All the other fry I have purchased were at least 1". Never lost a fish.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 09-23-2011
crawdaddy

Keeping: nothing right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodima View Post
They are in a 2.5 gallon rubbermaid container inside a 150 tank. They are small enough they will be eaten by the Compressiceps currently in the tank.
To avoid other questions, the breeder was feeding them 1mm NLS, which is what I am feeding them also. Water changed in the tank weekly, and the other fish are all doing well - Comps breed regularly etc.
Should I be concerned?
I feed all my fry NLS Grow .5mm, it's the right size for their small mouths.
And also I have 10gal grow out for them, which you should think about getting along with .5mm NLS Grow.
So, to answer your question, yes, you should be concerned.
Old 09-23-2011
JkdJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
I feed all my fry NLS Grow .5mm, it's the right size for their small mouths.
And also I have 10gal grow out for them, which you should think about getting along with .5mm NLS Grow.
So, to answer your question, yes, you should be concerned.
+1 I was gonna say, 1mm for fry that small is pushing it, you should probably do the flakes for now until they get a little bigger, the .5 pellets might work like the above suggested. What I'm really concerned with though is do you really plan on adding these guys with the Compreseps? Not a good mix. If you want to see some real Tropheus behavior get them their own tank!
Old 09-25-2011
Longstocking

Keeping: Lupota, Moliro, Pemba, Ndole, Duboisi

I don't think whether or not they put calvus in with tropheus will affect if they will see "real" behavior or not. They are found in the same lake. Most of my Tropheus tanks have other fish in them.

I agree... feed something smaller. Does it matter what? Not all that much but younger fry do need higher protein levels.
Old 09-25-2011
nodima

Thanks for the advice, smaller food is in house, and I have a 20long I can use as a grow out tank - I was thinking that they would not need to be too much larger to be able to be released into the 150.
Old 09-26-2011
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, smaller food is in house, and I have a 20long I can use as a grow out tank - I was thinking that they would not need to be too much larger to be able to be released into the 150.
Not sure selling or buying fry at that size is the way to go...stress of moving might be a little too much. Anyway, you can always crush food and feed fry like most people do.
Old 09-26-2011
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstocking View Post
I don't think whether or not they put calvus in with tropheus will affect if they will see "real" behavior or not. They are found in the same lake. Most of my Tropheus tanks have other fish in them.

I agree... feed something smaller. Does it matter what? Not all that much but younger fry do need higher protein levels.
I also agree... There are Altolamprologus spread throughout the lake. Really Mixing Tropheus with any fish from the Lake is okay as long as they have similar Dietary habbits. It's still possible to mix different diets form the same lake but the Species that are carnivores may not get the appropriate/ common nutrition but it's still possible. As long as providing proper environmental scaping sin't an issue, things should be fine...

Quote:
iF you can hold off until they are a good 1.5"+, it would be better as from my undrstanding, Altos are "fry eaters", hence their shape allowing them to get into smaller spaces were fry would be hiding... JMO though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemaruk View Post
Not sure selling or buying fry at that size is the way to go...stress of moving might be a little too much. Anyway, you can always crush food and feed fry like most people do.
I honestly think that if the water parameters are the same then tansfering them is fine. I have 3 levels of tanks that I keep my fry in, transferring between and not losing them because of the transfer. I think that they are more suseptable to mild flustuations is water, more so than older juvies... Once again, JMO though...
Old 09-27-2011
raemaruk

Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I also agree... There are Altolamprologus spread throughout the lake. Really Mixing Tropheus with any fish from the Lake is okay as long as they have similar Dietary habbits. It's still possible to mix different diets form the same lake but the Species that are carnivores may not get the appropriate/ common nutrition but it's still possible. As long as providing proper environmental scaping sin't an issue, things should be fine...

iF you can hold off until they are a good 1.5"+, it would be better as from my undrstanding, Altos are "fry eaters", hence their shape allowing them to get into smaller spaces were fry would be hiding... JMO though....

I honestly think that if the water parameters are the same then tansfering them is fine. I have 3 levels of tanks that I keep my fry in, transferring between and not losing them because of the transfer. I think that they are more suseptable to mild flustuations is water, more so than older juvies... Once again, JMO though...
Transferring between tanks at one location is one thing, however, a sale or purchase resulting in being caught, bagged up, and transported several miles to another tank .....a whole different ball-game now
Old 09-27-2011
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raemaruk View Post
Transferring between tanks at one location is one thing, however, a sale or purchase resulting in being caught, bagged up, and transported several miles to another tank .....a whole different ball-game now
To a point. But what's the honest differnce if the Water Parameters end up being the same? The only Difference is the bagging and moving. it shouldn't cause that much stress... I guess that sometimes it can though...