Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2011
Piper
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Keeping: Lufubu
Age: 68
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Spot on left side fin.....

Any idea what this might be? I was thinking ick but wonder if it could just be damage from aggression?

Thoughts? Sorry about the color just got new lights with actinic and haven't adjust camera yet.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2011
Thobiastt
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Keeping: Ilangi,Kalya(Njano),BuluPoint,Ikola,FieryFry,RedPhoenix,MuzimuGreen
Age: 41
Posts: 80
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
Any idea what this might be? I was thinking ick but wonder if it could just be damage from aggression?

Thoughts? Sorry about the color just got new lights with actinic and haven't adjust camera yet.

fungus??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2011
Jim in Michiana's Avatar
Jim in Michiana
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaPorte, Indiana
Keeping: Ikola, Ilangi, Lufubu, Kasanga, Kasakalawe, Moliro, N'dole, Kachese, Bemba, Green Murago
Age: 59
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Images: 3
Default

I'd monitor closely........

That said, I had several trophs with almost identical looking "white spots"......

The spots appeared in several different colonies (in several different tanks) soon after (within 2 weeks) I received them from the importer. After reading about ich, super ich, and a dozen different possibilities, I decided I didn't have a clue as to what it was........ I did some closer examination of the affected fish, and realized that the spots appeared only on the dorsal and pectoral fins. Seems that my "outbreak" was simply torn/frayed fins that took on the whitish appearance as a result of aggression. Judging from the "tore-up" look that your fish exhibits on it's dorsal, I'd say with minor certainty that this is what you have also.

Keep in mind that I'm not telling you to ignore the symptoms, as the spots may have another origin, but it may not be as serious as you think.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2011
Piper
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Keeping: Lufubu
Age: 68
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Michiana View Post
I'd monitor closely........

That said, I had several trophs with almost identical looking "white spots"......

The spots appeared in several different colonies (in several different tanks) soon after (within 2 weeks) I received them from the importer. After reading about ich, super ich, and a dozen different possibilities, I decided I didn't have a clue as to what it was........ I did some closer examination of the affected fish, and realized that the spots appeared only on the dorsal and pectoral fins. Seems that my "outbreak" was simply torn/frayed fins that took on the whitish appearance as a result of aggression. Judging from the "tore-up" look that your fish exhibits on it's dorsal, I'd say with minor certainty that this is what you have also.

Keep in mind that I'm not telling you to ignore the symptoms, as the spots may have another origin, but it may not be as serious as you think.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Jim
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. This guy is the bully of the left side of the tank. There is a stronger larger bully on the right side. Maybe i'll add a bit of salt and monitor. I keep temp around 80 degrees so salt and temp might help. He is acting fine at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2011
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I'm kinda thinking the same thing. This guy is the bully of the left side of the tank. There is a stronger larger bully on the right side. Maybe i'll add a bit of salt and monitor. I keep temp around 80 degrees so salt and temp might help. He is acting fine at this point.

It does look like a bit of fungus... But, be careful because the last thing that you want is fin rot (from wounds) to tear up that fin and it happens really quickly. The fin will grow back but it will look abnormal for life.

Salt and temps should do the trick. Might take a bit longer than normal but just remember to keep adding the salt back into the tank with water changes... I always use a few tablespoons of aquarium salt with water changes for this reason. IF there is any fighting that is abnormally rough and this happens, it will prevent something of the sort. At least it has thus far...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2011
Piper
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Keeping: Lufubu
Age: 68
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

What salt dose do you guys recommend or that you have had success with? I have used it as a minor additive but think this should be a bit more for medicinal purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2011
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
What salt dose do you guys recommend or that you have had success with? I have used it as a minor additive but think this should be a bit more for medicinal purposes.

Honestly I just use the API Aquarium Salt...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2011
Piper
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Keeping: Lufubu
Age: 68
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Honestly I just use the API Aquarium Salt...
I have what's left of a 5G bucket of Coralife Aquarium salt.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2011
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 40
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 960
Thanked 889 Times in 733 Posts
Images: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I have what's left of a 5G bucket of Coralife Aquarium salt.
Is it the SW aquarium salt? Or for FW?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2011
Piper
Status: Offline
Senior Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Keeping: Lufubu
Age: 68
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Just an update: I have had the tank salted now for about a week. About 1.5 to 2 cups in the 125G tank. The fish all seem fine and the white on the left side fin hasn't seemed to change at all. It does appear it was damage because the white is on the end of some missing fin structure. Water change tomorrow so salt will be gradually removed through WCs.

Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
fin, left, side, spot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 LEFT !!!!! Get them before they are gone!! discman Buy, Sell & Trade 1 06-03-2011 04:25 PM
Do we really need to seperate or rockscape on each side ?!?! chitownturk Tropheus Aquascaping 4 06-18-2010 11:29 AM
Garlic Extract - Any Side Effect? soonwoon Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 4 06-11-2009 12:24 AM
East Side maddog10 Welcome Center 14 04-11-2009 09:06 AM
My Moliro has one side of its head nearly black australia Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition 2 12-02-2008 05:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.