Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects

Notices

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects Discussion of DIY projects for tanks, stands, filtration, etc.

Old 03-26-2011
Mastiffman

::Profile::

The Situation...... (Morning Post)

I contacted a CL owner of a 125 Gallon Clarity Plus tank that was listed for $600. I went to see the owner on MOnday (Mar. 21), chat him up and created some rapport and asked about their lowest price and to think about it and let me know through email. Owner responded the next day with $500. I didn't respond for a few days. Sent an email last night with a carefree but polite message explaining my situation and budget with an offer of $325- $350 and it was accepted! It comes with Tank, Canopy, Sump, Plumbing, "Real" standalone Inline heater, A a few boxes of stuff. Has a Blue Background and overflows. I will have to build a stand for it though. Not bad for taking a stab at the offer price!?

So, I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the proper sanding methods and materials needed to buff out this tank....

What are the Recommended Tools and locations of purchase?

-Home depot or Lowes?
-Specialty shop or Online shops recommended?
-Sanding machine?
-Sanding pads or papers?
-Best/ most effective grits and steps?
-Best/ most effective polishing comound for acrylics?

Any tips and tricks your polishing pros can offer? I'm an acrylic virgin ad this will be my Ch Pop....

Any advice will be taken into account! Thanks!

(Afternoon post)

Okay, So I'm back from my Purchase and This guy gave me a Ton of Stuff and her accepted $340 for it all. Turns out I was rght with calculating and his measurements that it really is a 135 Gallon Clarity Plus acrylic tank. It's in decent shape and will need a little love as will the equipment. I wil try to put together a list of stuff that was included in the purchase but it's a pretty good inventory.

Here are some pics. I'm going to look at a 72" x 18" perfecto Black Tank stand for this thing in a few as well. It's on CL for $90... So we'll see what I can get it for. (That was a Ripoff, BTW!!!!)

Tank, Sump, Canopy and Extras

Box 1: 3 Ehiem Heaters, Autofeeder, Carbon, Nets, Scrapers, Electronic Thermostat, etc...

6Gal bucket full of Bio Balls and plastic thermostat.

"Aquanetics" Inline, standalone Heater....

Box 2: Powerheads, Powerheads and pumps. Theres about 7 total.

Sump with a bunch of chemicals, Pump, Plumbing, Saltwater Test kits and Odds and Ends with an ICE CAP 430 Lighting System minus the Ballast (let me know if you know anyone that has one.)

Tank with Canopy on.

End view. You can see the Overflow that is closest to this end....

Front Shot

So that's it. I wasn't willing to pay with the goone wanted for that black stand. It was in rough shape comparitively speaking...

I will end up building another like the 180 gallon stand that I built.

So Stay tuned for more updates and pics.

Once again I would appreciate any tips and tricks regarding ACrylic BUffing if any has experience... Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011
JkdJedi

That Ikola tank back there is NICE!!!

Oh, nice buy there on that tank, I can't find anything like that here in this area, everybody thinks they can get what they invested, unreal. :blink:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 03-27-2011
Mastiffman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JkdJedi @ Mar 27 2011, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
That Ikola tank back there is NICE!!!

Oh, nice buy there on that tank, I can't find anything like that here in this area, everybody thinks they can get what they invested, unreal. :blink:

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.[/b]
Thanks! It's actually Ikola and Rainbow. I have some Blue and Red in there now but I will be splitting them up with this new tank. I will be putting the Ikola and Reds in the 135gal. The blues will stay put. Will most likely pout the Adult blues in with the Juvies..

It's rediculous what some poeple ae wanting. There was one kid (I"m assuming) that want to sell his "Oceanic" 75gallon, stand, lighting and filtration system for $1000.... I emailed him and set him straight.... That crap bugs me.

There was another gentlemen that wanted $2500 for his used "Saltwater" acrlylic 180 gallon setup. It was Only on a 2x6 DIY Stand too! I got him down to $1000 but I didn't want to pay that either. It was almost a challenge to see how much he would come down... Kind of mean I know. But it pays to stay sharpe on negotiating skills.... B)
Old 03-27-2011
Norrland

This should be an easy fix. Use Novus 1,2, and 3. Use blue shop towels. The tank will be as new with some work.
My tank looked worse than yours and came out like this.
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/N...to/IMG_2054.jpg
http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/N...current=RS2.mp4
Old 03-27-2011
Mastiffman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norrland @ Mar 27 2011, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
This should be an easy fix. Use Novus 1,2, and 3. Use blue shop towels. The tank will be as new with some work.
http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/N...current=RS2.mp4[/b]

After Cleaning all of the algea ans salt off of the inside of the tank, there are a couple of scracthes on the front that are pretty noticeable. Should I just buff the whole front with some 1000 and 2000gt sanding blocks first, then hit it up with Novus?
Old 03-27-2011
Norrland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mastiffman @ Mar 27 2011, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norrland @ Mar 27 2011, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:

After Cleaning all of the algea ans salt off of the inside of the tank, there are a couple of scracthes on the front that are pretty noticeable. Should I just buff the whole front with some 1000 and 2000gt sanding blocks first, then hit it up with Novus?
[/b][/quote]

Go on to YouTube and look for how to fix acrylic and you will see know how to do this. Depending how deep some scratches might be you might have to leave them. Remember that if you try to take away scratches in one small area you will get discrepancies in how the light travels through the material hence distort the view into the tank.Try Novus first.

Old 03-27-2011
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norrland @ Mar 27 2011, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mastiffman @ Mar 27 2011, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norrland @ Mar 27 2011, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:

[/b][/quote]

Go on to YouTube and look for how to fix acrylic and you will see know how to do this. Depending how deep some scratches might be you might have to leave them. Remember that if you try to take away scratches in one small area you will get discrepancies in how the light travels through the material hence distort the view into the tank.Try Novus first.
[/b][/quote]
putting the lights to the rear of the tank makes them almost disappear.
Old 03-27-2011
swk

I agree with the others. Start with the novus system first and check out the results. An orbital buffer will make your job easier. Even if you're unhappy with the results, fill the tank with water before you move on. Most scratches in acrylic will completely disappear once the tank is full of water. Sanding takes practice and can distort the viewing area if not done correctly. If you decide to go this route, practice on the top of the tank and lids before you commit to the main panels.
Old 03-27-2011
Mastiffman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swk @ Mar 27 2011, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I agree with the others. Start with the novus system first and check out the results. An orbital buffer will make your job easier. Even if you're unhappy with the results, fill the tank with water before you move on. Most scratches in acrylic will completely disappear once the tank is full of water. Sanding takes practice and can distort the viewing area if not done correctly. If you decide to go this route, practice on the top of the tank and lids before you commit to the main panels.[/b]
You bet. Less work would be nice. I tried a section of the top with some 600, 1000 then 2000 and then some Plastic POlish and it did okay but it was time consuming and wasn't completely perfect.

UPDATE:

So last night after surfing the Forum a bit I got the urge to scrub the tank down and I must say that it looks pretty decent. here aer a couple of after pics.

Today I stopped by Home Depot and got my 12 2x4's need for the framing of the Stand and a Cut sheet of 1/2" Sandeply. As well as some 1" thick 4'x8' sheet of polystyrene for $8. The wood was About $28...

Don't mind the Completely Filthy Garage floor. Spring is hitting and our yard turns into a swamp because it's one fo the ower ones on the block... So the Mastiffs track it in on a constant basis...

Sandeply. Had Home Depot Employee cut 1.5' off of the end and then rip a 19" wide piece. That's 2 of the 3 pieces. Yes ut up so my dogs don't literally destroy it!? lol

Same cuts to the 4x8' Sheet of Poly... By the way.. For anyone questioning why I purchased 1" over the others. Believe it or not, the 1" was less than the 3/4" and 1/2" sheets. They had refelctive material on one side though.

Old 03-28-2011
khangho05

I just got my 190G Acrylic from CL. Could you give me a little more details how to buff and clean up your tank. Did you sand down with 2000 and then polish it. What kind of polish did you use? This is my fist Acrylic tank so I want to be careful with it. :icon_cheers: