Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 12-29-2013
Eric K

::Profile::
Default Lighting

Sorry for all the questions lately but I was wondering what kind of lighting you guys are using for tropheus. I was looking at the marineland double bright reef led because it has a timer but I've seen mixed reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

Eric
Old 12-29-2013
rhickman

Keeping: Currently DRY :'(

Good old Home Depot shop lights with Daylight bulbs, I am working on building an LED strip which will be VERY bright, but I cant find an aluminum heatsink at a decent price ( I havent looked very thoroughly yet on the same note lol )
Old 12-29-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
Sorry for all the questions lately but I was wondering what kind of lighting you guys are using for tropheus. I was looking at the marineland double bright reef led because it has a timer but I've seen mixed reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

Eric
Whats your Budget?

I think that all LED fixtures can be put on a $5-$10 hardware store timer...

If you've already mentioned it on other threads, sorry. but what size tank are you looking into lighting up?

Current USA makes a couple of great units call "Satellite" LED fixtures.

The Normal 48" Satellite fixture has 132 White (6500k) LEDs + 48 Blue (445nm) LEDs and is 800 lumens. but it does a great job at lighting up my 180g Blue Zaire Moba tank perfectly as they seem like lower lighting naturally. But they are F1 so they have done fine with higher lumen output...

It Features a inline wired remote that has On/Off/Dimming of white and blue LEDs together or independently, Three fade modes for cloud cover effects, Two lunar light modes, Two storm modes with lightning and cloud cover effects and Dusk mode for evening viewing.

So you can really dial in the color that you like within the spectrum parameters.

The 48" Satellite PLUS Fixture has 96 White (6500k) LEDs + 48 RGB LEDs and is 2000 Lemuns. I have one on my 180g Kasanga tank and it looks great. not the Brightest fixture for the tank but still shows their colors well!

It features a wireless IR remote that has 6 color presets, independent level adjustments for W/R/B/G LEDs, 4 programmable selection buttons, 4 Lunar presets, 4 overcast presets and 4 Lightning mode presets.

one remote can control every size Satellite PLUS fixture at once.

kensfish.com has them on sale right now for $117.95 and free shipping over $75...

Can't beat the price and quality of the Fixture. it can be dialed in to your preference! I have 2 and just helped my father get one for my mother for her new show tank.

Hope this helps!

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...8-60-inch.html
Old 12-29-2013
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

Found that same light here.
http://www.aquariumlightingdirect.co...-fw-led-48-60/
Cheapest I could find plus free shipping in US. $79.18
Old 12-29-2013
Mikecullen1979

Keeping: Ikola and ilangi

I started using Marineland Double Brights on my 240 and I absolutely love them. Best lighting I have ever had.
Old 12-29-2013
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

I bought an LED strip from Lowes for my Nano Cube when the fixture it came with died. White LEDs only, but to me a bit on the yellow side.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 12-29-2013
Eric K

Thanks for the input. I'm going to check out the "Satellite" LED fixtures. They seem really cool. I currently have a marineland double bright on my 29gal and its really nice but I'm getting a 75gal very soon. The marineland reef bdl bright is cool because it kind of has two timers, one for day and one for night (blue lights) but they are pretty expensive.

Eric
Old 12-29-2013
JimA

Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house

Beamworks... Worth a look!
Old 12-29-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

The satellite fixtures are pretty nice from what I understand.

However, If you buy one, you want to get the PLUS model. It has more features and more than double the lumens for not a lot more money.

If you already have T5HO, white LEDs, or white/Blue combo LEDs etc. The Finnex Monster Ray RGB LED fixture is amazing! Its color enhancement is crazy nice. Its a great addition to an existing system that is got plenty of light...but is lacking in color.

However, If starting from scratch, the satellite PLUS fixtures seems to offer the most bang for the buck. In comparison to other fixtures, you could buy two of these for about the same expense and that would allow you to have a forward and rear positioned one on tanks with a lot of depth like a 180 gal or bigger.

On a 6 ft tank you can get a pair of 36 inch fixtures to have the tank illuminated all the way across.

Or a 48 inch fixture positioned towards the front and in the center leaving the ends and rear kind of shadowy.

Or a pair of 48's in the middle for a really bright center of the tank display with dim ends.

And of course you can play with the same concepts on smaller tanks with the other fixture sizes.
Old 12-29-2013
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
The satellite fixtures are pretty nice from what I understand.

However, If you buy one, you want to get the PLUS model. It has more features and more than double the lumens for not a lot more money.

If you already have T5HO, white LEDs, or white/Blue combo LEDs etc. The Finnex Monster Ray RGB LED fixture is amazing! Its color enhancement is crazy nice. Its a great addition to an existing system that is got plenty of light...but is lacking in color.

However, If starting from scratch, the satellite PLUS fixtures seems to offer the most bang for the buck. In comparison to other fixtures, you could buy two of these for about the same expense and that would allow you to have a forward and rear positioned one on tanks with a lot of depth like a 180 gal or bigger.

On a 6 ft tank you can get a pair of 36 inch fixtures to have the tank illuminated all the way across.

Or a 48 inch fixture positioned towards the front and in the center leaving the ends and rear kind of shadowy.

Or a pair of 48's in the middle for a really bright center of the tank display with dim ends.

And of course you can play with the same concepts on smaller tanks with the other fixture sizes.
I agree with John re: all above, I have this unit. In addition, you can experiment with different color spectrums without the hassle of switching out bulbs - you can play mad scientist and figure out the nicest spectrum that brings out the colors of your trophs.
The Following User Says Thank You to dahling For This Useful Post:
TroPhish (12-29-2013)