Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 09-10-2013
jbedwards71

::Profile::
Keeping: Ndole and Maswa
Default Is lighting more important than you think?

So as some of you know, I just set up my first Troph tank. I had an existing 55 gallon Mbuna tank that had been running for about 2 years. I was able to trade all of my assorted Mbuna for a colony of F1 Troph sp. Red Ndole and a couple of Troph sp. Ikolas. I absolutely fell in love with the fish, but they just didn't look good in my tank (very dark and drab). After doing what most of you do, reading articles online, comparing my tank to others...etc., I tried something this afternoon. I took, what I thought was the best bulb for a standard T8 fixture, Coralife 50/50, and replaced it with the stock "full spectrum" bulbs that came with the tank. For Mbuna, the 50/50 is wonderful, but not for Tropheus. All of sudden, the Ndoles colors came out in full effect! I also, added some of my fake silk plants that I had and rearranged my rocks. I had watched a video online of a Duboisi tank where the female had spit her fry and they hung out in the plants for protection. Within minutes of getting the tank setup, I had several fish dancing and courting in the plants. It was almost as if the males (which I'm not sure how many I have at this point) recognized the females and nature took it's course. I am going with these lights for awhile and might try some Coralife Colormax at a later time. I will post a new video when I get a chance. So, what is everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks again for all the advice that I receive on this forum.
Old 09-10-2013
moganman

Color max bulbs are great. I had some kachese with color max and T5 bulbs. Made them pop.
Old 09-10-2013
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro "Orange Fin Kigoma" Tropheus sp. Red Moliro

Yes, colormax are great to bring out the reds in fish.
Old 09-10-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedwards71 View Post
So as some of you know, I just set up my first Troph tank. I had an existing 55 gallon Mbuna tank that had been running for about 2 years. I was able to trade all of my assorted Mbuna for a colony of F1 Troph sp. Red Ndole and a couple of Troph sp. Ikolas. I absolutely fell in love with the fish, but they just didn't look good in my tank (very dark and drab). After doing what most of you do, reading articles online, comparing my tank to others...etc., I tried something this afternoon. I took, what I thought was the best bulb for a standard T8 fixture, Coralife 50/50, and replaced it with the stock "full spectrum" bulbs that came with the tank. For Mbuna, the 50/50 is wonderful, but not for Tropheus. All of sudden, the Ndoles colors came out in full effect! I also, added some of my fake silk plants that I had and rearranged my rocks. I had watched a video online of a Duboisi tank where the female had spit her fry and they hung out in the plants for protection. Within minutes of getting the tank setup, I had several fish dancing and courting in the plants. It was almost as if the males (which I'm not sure how many I have at this point) recognized the females and nature took it's course. I am going with these lights for awhile and might try some Coralife Colormax at a later time. I will post a new video when I get a chance. So, what is everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks again for all the advice that I receive on this forum.

Love to see photos or Video!
Old 09-12-2013
jbedwards71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Love to see photos or Video!
Finally shot a video yesterday. Still using my iphone so the quality could be better. I'm not a huge fan of fake plants, but I think these will look okay once they get a nice coat of algae on them. Still think I will pick up some colormax bulbs to try out, but these are much better then the 50/50's I was using.

Old 09-12-2013
Grantman

Looks good. Fish are beautiful. Waiting for my set of beamworks V2 led's to arrive any day now. Can't wait
Old 09-12-2013
jbedwards71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantman View Post
Looks good. Fish are beautiful. Waiting for my set of beamworks V2 led's to arrive any day now. Can't wait
Awesome! Can't wait to see them. One day I'll upgrade to LEDs!
Old 09-12-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Awesome! Can't wait to see them. One day I'll upgrade to LEDs!
Very Nice! I honestly think that if the BG was painted Blue instead of Black you'd see more colors. and the Ikola need more of their kind to show properly.
Old 09-12-2013
jbedwards71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Very Nice! I honestly think that if the BG was painted Blue instead of Black you'd see more colors. and the Ikola need more of their kind to show properly.
I completely agree about the background. Hindsight. I am planning on picking up more Ikola and weeding out some of the Ndoles once I can figure out how many males I have.
Old 09-12-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
I completely agree about the background. Hindsight. I am planning on picking up more Ikola and weeding out some of the Ndoles once I can figure out how many males I have.
20/20 baby! lol

yeah that sounds like a good idea.