Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 09-19-2013
TroPhish

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

I love the side by side set up.....

But Ill be real honest....I wouldnt be able to handle the 2in difference in tank height! Im super OCD about that kinda stuff!

I was going to suggest a from- the- ceiling down cabinet hood that gave them one continuous band across the front and contained the "glow" of the lights shining upward....

But then I noticed that window over to the left.

So maybe a low profile hood....

Or use this as an excuse for getting another tank and set the shorter one up elsewhere!

Anyway....Im weird.

The tanks look great and Im loving the lights!

John
Old 09-19-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimA View Post
yeah it would be cool if you could do 3 or 4 tanks same size/height in a row with a aqua scape that carried through to each tank yet a different species in each tank!
Ah, YEAH. that would be cool. But the question... Would you make themm Different Vaiant tanks of the same Species or all tanks the same region (all fish from Kasnaga, All from Bulu Point, etc..)

Very cool Idea though. The possibilities are limitless for this hobbies creativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post

But Ill be real honest....I wouldnt be able to handle the 2in difference in tank height! Im super OCD about that kinda stuff!

I was going to suggest a from- the- ceiling down cabinet hood that gave them one continuous band across the front and contained the "glow" of the lights shining upward....

Or use this as an excuse for getting another tank and set the shorter one up elsewhere!

Anyway....Im weird.

John
NO way man, I'm the same way and thought the same thing about the heights of the tanks, lol

I just didn't want to be the first one to say anything about it...

He could always design a hood that looks like one piece but has seperate lids. Or make it just a hood that doesn't have a top so the light shines upwards as well.

I agree, lights look sweet...
Old 09-20-2013
Jeffish

Keeping: Sp Red Moliro, F1 Illangi

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post

Anyway....Im weird.

John
Agreed John, It drives me nuts and I really want the tanks to be the same height. Thats why the 135 gal days are numbered. I'm going to replace it with another 150 later this year.

Jim - I have two XP3's on the 135 and a XP3 and a XP4 on the 150. They do quite well actually. Better than I thought they would. Although I really have to make sure I never miss a water change.

Mastiff - I thought about a hood too but I wanted to keep the tops open as possible to keep clear access when I need it and I'm not sure it would look right. I've never been a fan of canopies. And also the recess in the wall is exactly 12 ft wide and with 2 6 ft tanks tight against each other... getting a canopy to fit properly would be an adventure.
Old 09-20-2013
Jeffish

Oh and I'd love to do another troph colony in the 135 but the GF likes the malawi colors and action....she doesnt get my fascination with trophs.....she's upset that I'm gonna give my brother a bunch of Afra and yellow lab fry......lol
Old 09-20-2013
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffish View Post
Oh and I'd love to do another troph colony in the 135 but the GF likes the malawi colors and action....she doesnt get my fascination with trophs.....she's upset that I'm gonna give my brother a bunch of Afra and yellow lab fry......lol
Easily solved...just set up a 33gallon Malawi in a corner somewhere. If she complains about the small size, let her do a bunch of water changes and service the filter a few times.
Old 09-20-2013
Jeffish

Great idea!
Old 09-21-2013
lfl436

Keeping: WC Ikola, Duboisi Maswa, Moliro, Chimba
Default great compairson shots..

Quote:
I got my 2 new Beamswork 36 inch Double Power 2600 LED fixtures today. I bought them from an ebay retailer. So I removed the 3 Marineland double bright 18 inch fixtures I had on my 150 and hooked up the new Beamswork's....WOW what a difference! They are bright and the light spreads from front to back, not concentrated like some LEDs can be. They penetrate all the way to the bottom of the tank which is about 28 inches tall. Now I might have to buy 2 more for my 135 beside it....Pics to follow later.
Good see these this way ..thx for sharing.. and .. have to ask what are the stacked rocks you have uesd in the left tank, very cool!!
Ken
Old 09-21-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:

I was about to get into Afras right before Trophs... They are just as Colorful and have a good Variety of colors! Very Cool Fish!
Old 09-21-2013
Jeffish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfl436 View Post
Good see these this way ..thx for sharing.. and .. have to ask what are the stacked rocks you have uesd in the left tank, very cool!!
Ken
Ken - I got the rocks from a local landscape place. I dont recall the type of rock but it was white/grey with a lot of black highlights (if that makes sense) lol.

Mastiff - ya the afra are really cool. The males can have a white body with brilliant blue stripes when they are in breeding mode. And they breed alot.... I also have 1 Demasoni who has decided he will be the only one in the tank. I started out with 6 thinking that with all the other species in the tank and the rockwork that things would be good. He killed off all the others within 3 months. I've tried twice now to introduce more and after 3 to 4 weeks he kills them off. I guess I should do a species only tank and overcrowd them to keep the aggression low. They are one of my fav Malawi's.