Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 09-05-2012
dahling

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

I'm using an eheim 2262, parts are scarce at the lfs, I find all the parts I need through ebay. For that filter, really the only part that needs servicing is the o-ring.
Old 09-05-2012
Darth Coqui

Keeping: Petros & Trophs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdrifts View Post
Hey guys and gals, i'm looking for some advice from you all, i've been out of the fishkeeping game for about 10 years, but I keep getting that itch that needs scratching.

I'm looking to build a nice show tank for my main living area, the problem is i'm a scots man living in Thailand, and nothing is easy here.

first off the tank itself,

1.I want to build a 72" x 24" x 30" something in that sort of ball park. What thickness of glass should I tell the tank builder to use? I've been told 12mm? is this correct?

2.for filtration i plan on using 2 x FX5's ( i remember years ago everyone seemed to consider eheim as the holy grail of the canister filter, but ive been reading lots of reviews and boy how the tables have turned.)

3.Also Power heads, will i get enough flow round my tank with the 2 external filters, or should i use a power head for good measures?

Next up is water coolers? does anyone live in a tropical climate and use these? Can you recommend a brand? I want my trophs to be as comfortable as possible , so dont want a fluctuating climate, I was going to install a couple of 300w heaters on a controller.

5.lighting, i thought something like this looks pretty cool and will give me good algae growth.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=21459

can this just sit directly on the top of my tank? i dont want to suspend it from my roof. Also do i need to use a cover glass or can i leave the top of this open? or perhaps a some sort of edging to go round the top to make it pretty.

6.next up is the stand, i'd really appreciate some advice on a stand build, my biggest problem is the house i live in is rented, so i cannot really drill into floors walls etc, so i need a freestanding stand that will support this massive amount of weight, and also keep the filters controllers etc out of sight.

Any help is much appreciated.

Awesome Backdrifts,
Man I too plan on doing my own build in the near future as I already have 2 designs for in wall partitions and my pond. Here is my opinion:

1. If you have the room, go atleast 84" long and 30" wide and 30" tall. The longer the better but that is just me. The glass I will be purchasing for my tank will be 19mm to 25 mm thick tempered.

2.you cant go wrong with x2 fx5 and please make your self a wet dry sump with a submersible or external pump with the flow of at least 1800 gph. I have a mag 24 in my 200 gal 7-0 tank along with an fx5 and will add another one very soon.

3. In my tank along with the mag 24, fx5 I have a 3100 aquatop circulation pump and will soon get another one. I like flow but that is my personal preference. I dont know what exactly lake tang flow is but i can imagine when the flood season is around that the flow is pretty consistent and rough. plus I build strong healthy babies (petros and trophs) and psychos too.

4. I dont live in tropical climate anymore but i have my heater in my sump next to my mag 24 and the only time the 250w heater I have comes on is at night when the Warden (wife) turns up the air conditioner to 69. Typ my temp is around 78 to 81 and here in Houston TX the water im my area is hard. They love it.

5. That is nice. Again I lok at budget and if you can afford it then go for it. You want atleast 6500k but my personal preference will be 14000k leds. But I will be doing a DIY LED in the near future. Link is below of something I am researching to do it myself.

***here is something you might want to take a look at since you don't want anything to over hang :
http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led...d-fixture.html ***

6. For my stand build I used 2 x 4 and 8'x 4' x 3/4" thick hardwood pine and oak.
I then cut to fit the hardwood and cut the 2 x 4 to 35" long as I did not want a high tank, but that is my preference. after all said and done, my tank stand is 38" high.

7. Dont forget the tools bubba.

For my pond build I will use 1" thick glass 4' high and 8' long along with concrete pillars for the glass to sit in, then the liner along with a stair leading up to the deck.
Plumbing I have other idea for it.

Please keep us updated Backdrifts as I know I am very curious and excited in your build.

Oh, the most important thing before and during the build, beer and folks to help.
Lots, and lots of beer.

Cheers mane.

Frankie
Old 09-06-2012
Backdrifts

Hey folks, i really appreciate the input and enthusiasm from you guys.

I found a nice build for a stand, http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/in...aquarium-stand

So i will speak to a carpenter to see what he can do for me.

Lighting is also something i'm not sure about, I have seen a few LED setups, but they all look really blue to me, i dont mind some blue as a night light, i think that looks cool, but blue for daytime looks very cold, especially if its on like a white substrate.

Also call me old fashioned, but those panels dont look as good as some strip lights. maybe i just need to see more of them to adjust.

Also if i went for those panels, how many 24" would i need on a 6ft tank, could i get away with using 2 or would this give me a dark spot in the middle?

I think i'm going to go for 2 powerheads one ecotec mp40 and one mp10 so i get a good flow round the tank.

I will keep you guys updated as to how the build is going.

Also a side note, does anyone use a RO system for your tank, The water i get at my house comes from a deep well on site, and i dont have a clue about the parameters of it, although i suspect the PH will be quite high and also the hardness as there is some calcium in it.
Old 09-06-2012
swk

Quote:
Hey folks, i really appreciate the input and enthusiasm from you guys.

I found a nice build for a stand, http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/in...aquarium-stand

So i will speak to a carpenter to see what he can do for me.

Lighting is also something i'm not sure about, I have seen a few LED setups, but they all look really blue to me, i dont mind some blue as a night light, i think that looks cool, but blue for daytime looks very cold, especially if its on like a white substrate.

Also call me old fashioned, but those panels dont look as good as some strip lights. maybe i just need to see more of them to adjust.

Also if i went for those panels, how many 24" would i need on a 6ft tank, could i get away with using 2 or would this give me a dark spot in the middle?

I think i'm going to go for 2 powerheads one ecotec mp40 and one mp10 so i get a good flow round the tank.

I will keep you guys updated as to how the build is going.

Also a side note, does anyone use a RO system for your tank, The water i get at my house comes from a deep well on site, and i dont have a clue about the parameters of it, although i suspect the PH will be quite high and also the hardness as there is some calcium in it.
No shortage of enthusiasm around here!

The biggest disadvantage of leds in my opinion, is that you cannot change the kelvin temp of most units. I believe the more expensive fixtures allow you to do so, but the more reasonable units do not. So...if you don't like the color of your 6500k leds, there is no way to swap them out for 10000k. Make sense? It is for this reason that I still prefer the t5 lights. Don't like the way a bulb makes your fish look??? No problem, switch out to a different one. The advantages of leds are great, especially the energy useage, but until the nicer technology becomes more affordable I'll stick to tubes.

IME, you would have dark spots with only 2 24". I would cover the entire length.

Excellent choice in wavemakers. I love mine. I would skip the mp10 and get 2 mp40s if you can. You can always dial back the flow. I just don't think the 10 will do much of anything in that size tank.

RO is more trouble than it's worth, unless absolutely necessary. If your water comes from a deep well, chances are good the water is pretty hard and has a high ph, which is perfect for these fish. Check your water first and go from there!
Old 09-12-2012
Backdrifts

Another question here guys, how much KGS of coral sand would i need to give me a good covering on a 72 x 30" tank?
Old 09-12-2012
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Quote:
Another question here guys, how much KGS of coral sand would i need to give me a good covering on a 72 x 30" tank?
100 lbs
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 09-13-2012
Backdrifts

Thank you, I've asked to see some pictures of the coral sand, some of the coral sand i see here in marine tanks has a green tinge to it. it does not look nice.
Old 09-13-2012
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Quote:
Thank you, I've asked to see some pictures of the coral sand, some of the coral sand i see here in marine tanks has a green tinge to it. it does not look nice.
CaribSea Special Seaflor grade argonite if you can get it.
Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
The Following User Says Thank You to gw12269 For This Useful Post:
Backdrifts (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012
Darth Coqui

Keeping: Petros & Trophs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw12269 View Post
CaribSea Special Seaflor grade argonite if you can get it.

I use a mixture of 150 lbs crushed coral argonite and atleast 200 lbs of Leslies pool filter sand Silica in my 200, 7-0 tank. will ad another 50 lbs of lpfs.
gives me about 2.5" thickness of substrate.
I love it and balances the PH wonderfully.
Let alone where I live at the water is hard so trophs and petros love it.

Frankie
Old 09-20-2012
Backdrifts

I've just purchased 2 x fluval FX5's

What media would you guys put in them? Also would you set them both up the same?

Al