Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Aquascaping

Notices

Tropheus Aquascaping Discussion of suitable rocks, substrates, tank decor, layout, etc.

Old 02-16-2011
raemaruk

::Profile::
Keeping: Tropheus Murago, Ilangi & Petrochromis Red Bulu Point

Right, I have an established tank in my living room which contains about 40 almost adult Lufubu, also there are some very expensive plants that only just started flourishing. I have a deep sand & aragonite mix bed that is 4-5 inches at its deepest and 2inches at the most shallow section. There is a home-made nitrate filter partly buried in the sand running along the back of the tank and bending upright at one end to the top of the tank. The background also has live plants growing out of it.

It was inevitable that they would have to be moved to a larger tank at this stage, and I have had their new replacement tank for nearly two months now, but extremely worried that they may be casualities resulting from this move. I have established/matured filters in readiness.

The current tank is about is a 120 gallon and the new one is a 180.

One other thing which could be important, at present their tank is neatly stuck in a bay fronted section of the living room and is exposed to a lot of daylight for most of the day. I usually remove the top of the tank during this time and suspect that
this is the reason why the plants have done so well. The fish seem to really appreciate this and usually there is a lot of 'gymnastics' if the sun is out. Unfortunately, the new tank will not fit there, so they will be in a completely different room which is not exposed to so much natural light.

One dilemma I have is whether to split the group in two so some can remain there....which I'm not keen on as they've been together since they were babies. They do lock horns every now and again, and scales fly, but in a day or two everything seems okay and it's back to their impressive formation swimming.

I have two other tropheus tanks in the house but it goes without saying why these were in the living room tank.

HELP HELP HELP,,,,,,,,,,Desperate times ahead!!!

Any advice will be appreciated very much.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2011
gw12269

Keeping: Polli, Murago, Lufubu

Ideally, if you can put the fish in a cooler with air stones and then transfer more water into a new clean garbage can (75 gallons?). Remove all the substrate from the 120 and transfer to the 180. Add to your existing substrate if necessary. Transfer the water from the garbage can back into the tank. Relocate your existing filtration to the 180. You should be good to go. I would probably fill the garbage can outside and make sure it can withstand the pressure before I filled it in my house. You dont want a flood.

Last night I was doing a water change and my 4 year old son knocked my house out of the toilet. Not good. Could have been worse.

Just an fyi. Last month I yanked the gravel out of my 65 gallon and replaced it with argonite. Took about 25% of the water out when I did it. Same filter also. My ammonia went up to.5. IT took a few weeks before my water parameters were back to normal.

Follow me on twitter @buckslayerwells
Old 02-16-2011
raemaruk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GAW @ Feb 17 2011, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Ideally, if you can put the fish in a cooler with air stones and then transfer more water into a new clean garbage can (75 gallons?). Remove all the substrate from the 120 and transfer to the 180. Add to your existing substrate if necessary. Transfer the water from the garbage can back into the tank. Relocate your existing filtration to the 180. You should be good to go. I would probably fill the garbage can outside and make sure it can withstand the pressure before I filled it in my house. You dont want a flood.

Last night I was doing a water change and my 4 year old son knocked my house out of the toilet. Not good. Could have been worse.

Just an fyi. Last month I yanked the gravel out of my 65 gallon and replaced it with argonite. Took about 25% of the water out when I did it. Same filter also. My ammonia went up to.5. IT took a few weeks before my water parameters were back to normal.[/b]

I'm quite certain there will be a spike resulting from this. I have moved fish before,,,entire colinies and have had no problems......moving and /or disturbing substrate,,i've never attempted.

Gotta think about something sooner rather than later
Old 02-16-2011
swk

You will have some spikes, but I think you'll be ok. I don't know if you have access to purigen and stablilty, both made by seachem, but both can be excellent as a temporary band-aid for situations like this. I moved a bunch of trophs and petros from a 125 to a 180 over a year ago. Transfered the substrate, filters and everything else. I just added stability and added some fresh purigen and had no problems. Keep the feeding light for a week or so and you should be ok. It should be an exciting time, but it can be stressful as well.

Congrats on the new tank!

p.s. I would not split the group. Must be an impressive colony!
Old 02-16-2011
geost

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swk @ Feb 16 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
You will have some spikes, but I think you'll be ok. I don't know if you have access to purigen and stablilty, both made by seachem, but both can be excellent as a temporary band-aid for situations like this. I moved a bunch of trophs and petros from a 125 to a 180 over a year ago. Transfered the substrate, filters and everything else. I just added stability and added some fresh purigen and had no problems. Keep the feeding light for a week or so and you should be ok. It should be an exciting time, but it can be stressful as well.

Congrats on the new tank!

p.s. I would not split the group. Must be an impressive colony![/b]

+1, do post some pics of your lufubu.
Old 04-13-2011
raemaruk

Okay,

I finally got around to doing 'the switch' as discussed a few months back of my Lufubu colony from a 120gal to a 180gal. Everything was transferred over apart from the background. The new background is a WIP and will be attached externally at a later date.

The body still aches from all the moving and lifting. The fish seem happy after being a little circumspect for the first two days.

Here are a few pics of them in their new environment,,,,and a video(to view-select HD 720p for sharper image and to avoid judder) <a href="http://www.youtube.com

</a>They haven't returned to the colour they were before the move but it is slowly returning with each passing day.

Old 04-13-2011
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(raemaruk @ Apr 13 2011, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Okay,

I finally got around to doing 'the switch' as discussed a few months back of my Lufubu colony from a 120gal to a 180gal. Everything was transferred over apart from the b

[/b]
Hey! Those are some healthy looking fish, Nice! Was that video shot w/ your phone? If so man thats some insane quality there.
Old 04-14-2011
raemaruk

Hey,

Thanks,,,,,and yes, both the photos and video were shot with my phone which is an HTC HD Desire handset. It sure is an amazing piece of equipment for its size.

Old 04-14-2011
Butch

very nice lufubu you have there. what type of lighting are you running on this tank?
Old 04-14-2011
raemaruk

hi,

Thanks for the compliment.....I'm just using marine white flourescent tubes(T8s).