Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 01-03-2011
Gusmyster

::Profile::

I'm considering purchasing a double bulb (1 12000k and 1 actinic) 48" T5 light for my 90 Gallon tank. Two questions:

1) I really want the colors of the fish to pop. Will this light, 54 watts per bulb, be sufficient to really draw out the colors?

2) Is it advisable to set the fixture on top of my glass tops or would that be dangerous? The light does come with extenders to elevate the fixture. However, it seems that if I were to set the light directly on the glass it would direct more of the light downward.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Mark
Old 01-03-2011
Mastiffman

::Profile::

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gusmyster @ Jan 3 2011, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I'm considering purchasing a double bulb (1 12000k and 1 actinic) 48" T5 light for my 90 Gallon tank. Two questions:

1) I really want the colors of the fish to pop. Will this light, 54 watts per bulb, be sufficient to really draw out the colors?

2) Is it advisable to set the fixture on top of my glass tops or would that be dangerous? The light does come with extenders to elevate the fixture. However, it seems that if I were to set the light directly on the glass it would direct more of the light downward.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Mark[/b]

If you are speaking in terms of the HO 48" Dual Stripe Aqualight by Coralife, I have one and it's on a 75gal and I had mine sitting with the legs for a little while but it lights up the whole room so I took the legs off and it sits on my glas tops fine. Not to hot or anything... I was using the 10k and a Coormax but the 10k seemed a bit to yellowish for my so I switch to a 18k with colormax and that looks very nice. Be mindful though of the operation times though. That mix of bulbs will really produce some algea.... JMO Though.