Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 06-01-2015
MattB

::Profile::
Keeping: Ilangi

VERY happy to report that while going to the tank to feed the fish tonight I have one holding!! First breeding of the group! And my first tropheus spawning ever. Over the moon right now. This comes pretty much exactly 8 months since they came from Greg.

She is staying off to the side of the tank, not swallowing the eggs going for food so I guess thats a good sign. Since I really wasn't expecting this I'm going to just let things play out this time and see what happens. Need to order some tumblers i guess now that I know its happening!! I also need to clean the tank, I've been letting some algae grow for them to graze on. They seem to enjoy it. I need to get updated pics and video for you!

It's one of the bigger females of the group, and I can guess which male it was. I have one going crazy with color and dancing for all of the ladies right now.
Old 06-01-2015
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Sweet mate!! Love to see a vid fo' sho'...and some of your classy close-up shots!
Happy days troph daddy
Old 06-01-2015
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

Congrats! But just like the Loch Ness monster its all myth until there are pics .
Old 06-01-2015
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
VERY happy to report that while going to the tank to feed the fish tonight I have one holding!! First breeding of the group! And my first tropheus spawning ever. Over the moon right now. This comes pretty much exactly 8 months since they came from Greg.

She is staying off to the side of the tank, not swallowing the eggs going for food so I guess thats a good sign. Since I really wasn't expecting this I'm going to just let things play out this time and see what happens. Need to order some tumblers i guess now that I know its happening!! I also need to clean the tank, I've been letting some algae grow for them to graze on. They seem to enjoy it. I need to get updated pics and video for you!

It's one of the bigger females of the group, and I can guess which male it was. I have one going crazy with color and dancing for all of the ladies right now.
Hey, hey, hey!

Congrats! Looking forward to an update video on the process.

If you are looking for quality egg tumblers, get them from Lmod58 (Larry). Super fast and cheap shipping as well. I have 6 of them and planning on adding a few more to my collection. They work great. They need good air though. I had a little trouble at first running my first one off of a small air pump. Since putting in a central air system, they work better than I expected.
Old 06-01-2015
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Cool news, congrats man!
Old 06-03-2015
MattB

Here is a really ROUGH cut video from yesterday. Didn't process quite right, out of practice I guess, so its not as crisp/clear/colorful as I intended but you can get the general idea. Threw on some stock Youtube music to be quick about it. Watch in HD but still doesn't seem quite HD.

Feeding them kelp pellets at the end, they go nuts for that stuff.

dannyt (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015
dannyt

Beautiful group Matt...they're from Greg's WC group right? Some really nice color popping amongst them. I was surprised to see how far back to reddy/purple color comes back onto the yellow flank of a few of the dominant ones. Some lovely yellow sides developing there. Thanks for sharing mate!

Last edited by dannyt; 06-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2015
jucaben

Keeping: Moliro,F1 Chaitika,F1 Kalambo, F1 Ikola, F1 Bulu Point

WOW. Absolutely gorgeous group of Ilangi. Love the bright yellow on the sides and the blood red on the dorsal. Nice setup too. Doesn't seem like you have any real aggression issues.
Old 06-03-2015
MattB

Thanks. Yeah some show some red in them, seems to be mostly Males...at least the way they are acting. But I do have some nice yellow sides in there as well. Its a mix. I was speaking to someone earlier about the red and even though it's red, its not a full red Ilangi like you sometimes see. Still holds the blood red dorsal, yellow body, dark head and fins, etc....just has a bit more orange in the breast area.

I don't seem to have any issues yet aggression wise, I haven't even thinned the group since I got them from greg apart from a couple of jumpers in the night due to spooking. Never pulled a body out of the water or anything though. I probably could weed down the males but right now I've just let it go as is.
Old 06-03-2015
dannyt

They're beautiful! The red ilangi are very different from your group mate. Pretty sure Greg has had his hand picked colony for many years. Never seen pics of his group but I cannot imagine him having any of the "red" guys in there. He can confirm this of course.
I personally like how far back the red head color comes, especially since they still clearly have yellow sides. The ilangi on the home page has red in head transition just beyond the upper gill plate onto the top of the flank towards the dorsal fin. Thx again for sharing!

Oh and BTW I would leave the group as is unless there is major aggresion issues. A bit more male competition is ok unless it is leading to deaths...

Last edited by dannyt; 06-03-2015 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannyt For This Useful Post:
peroxysom (08-30-2016)