Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion

Notices

Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion Share and discuss pictures of your Tropheus and aquariums.

Old 02-19-2014
Trophaolic

::Profile::
Keeping: Duboisi, Eret kigoma, Comp Chaitika, Bulu Point Leleupi
Default My Tanks

Couple vids of my 2 tanks. I've been holding back since I had real lousy luck and lost a lot of F1 early on due to bloat. These guys have been with me for over 2 month and are healthy, I think I am over the bloat hump now, knock, knock... . Sorry for the long text. Skip and see the vids if you don't want to read...

This first video is of my 150g. It is cloudy because I just fed them and they keep playing with the sand by scooping them up and spit them out.
150gal with a 40gal DIY wet/dry, pump by a Liguard Quietone 5000, a Rena XPL and 2 Koralias.Water change twice a week, 30gal each time.

22 WC and 10 F1 Kasangas.
2 F1 Ikolas
2 Eretmodus Kigoma
2 Yellow Comp
2 Peacocks (1 Baenschi, 1 Bi-Color)
2 F1 Juli Kipili
1 Teracanthus

http://youtu.be/b1XX3Y_2baA

I bought the Kasangas last December from a guy who bought them from Greg originally. Said he had been breeding them for sometimes. They came in rather bad shape. When I opened the box after picking it up from the airport, one large WC was DOA, a couple was swimming sideway. The rest were docile. Found out the water they came in was cold. Took 2 hours to acclimate them, one large cup of water every 10 minutes. At the end, they all came alive. A couple were so malnourished their faces were caved in. Lost a second one the next day. Then about a month later, one just decided to commit suicide and jumped out of the tank. Although I was unhappy with the purchase at first, the seller was nice enough to follow up and offered refund for the 2 dead fish, I decided to give him a break and let it go since I got them from him for a great deal. Then I bought 4 more, smaller WC, from a member who bought them from Greg that he does not want to keep any more.

They are in much better shape today, all are fat and are active. The Alpha male is a monster. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 and different spirulina flakes from Best Flake.

Saw 2 of the larger WC did the mating dance the other day. They kept doing it for a good while, but so far no holding yet. Cross my fingers.

The 2 F1 Ikolas were from a group of 12 F1 fry I bought from a local guy last July. They were too small at the time, less than 1", most could not survive the big tank. The 2 surviving ones are near 3" and 2" now. Depends on their mood, they can change color fast and I can see bright yellow on the larger one. Then they go dark again. Their parents are with Lien and last I visited him, they were producing fry.

The second video is of my 90gal in the garage. One Rena XPL and a Koralia. Video is blueish because I only have one blue tube there. I'll change to white tube when it dies out. Plan to do another DIY wet/dry when the weather gets warmer.

17 F1 Chaikikas
3 F1 Kasangas/Ilangi
1 F1 Ikola

http://youtu.be/6jrkCFWWch8

Bought the Chaitika from a member last Nov. They were about 2" then and the larger ones are close to 3" now. They are nice and active. during day time, when the garage door is opened, they show a blueish hue on them that is really nice.

The Kasangas, Ilangi and Ikola were part of larger F1 groups that I bought earlier. Early on I had lousy luck with these trophs and lost a lot of them. They would take turn and die one or two every day about a month in. No idea why and I could only attributed to bloat because they stopped eating and were lethargic. I think I overfed them. One time I gave them couple spirulina wafer disc. They gorged on it and couple days later, bloat started.

I also have 8 Red Ndole that I keep in the sump. No tank space. Been trying to sell them, but so far no taker.
Old 02-19-2014
Mastiffman

Glad everything has settled down for you Hung!

Tropheus can go south quickly if allowed to gorge themselves. If you notice that happens again immediate throw a couple or more good handfuls of epsom salt in the tank. This will help to avoid them getting compacted. Let me know if you ever feel comfortable with another order.
Old 02-19-2014
Trophaolic

Thanks Andrew,

Yes, I add about half a cup of epsom to the 150g every other week. The 90gal get about half of that. I always have Epsom salt on hand now. Plus I skip feeding one session a week to let them "clear" it out .

I don't have tank space left or I would love to get some of your Bulu and maswa fry.
Old 02-19-2014
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Trophs.com Owner Sponsor And Admin

Keeping: A lot
Send a message via MSN to LittleAfricaAquatics.com

Glad you got the reds back on track, hate to see them get mistreated or neglected.
Mastiffman (02-19-2014)
Old 03-07-2014
Trophaolic

My guys have been dancing last few days. Today found this. That's a hold right? Let's hope it is. I want to see little fish coming out of that mouth...LOL!

Old 03-08-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

She's holdin alright...you're gonna be a daddy...congrats!! Well deserved after the tough road you've travelled...way to go for persevering mate
Old 03-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophaolic View Post
My guys have been dancing last few days. Today found this. That's a hold right? Let's hope it is. I want to see little fish coming out of that mouth...LOL!

Nice! Congrats! Looking good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
She's holdin alright...you're gonna be a daddy...congrats!! Well deserved after the tough road you've travelled...way to go for persevering mate

LMCBO!

Maybe a Grampa!.?
Old 03-09-2014
1711FM

She's definitely holding, congrats......

Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising every time we fall
Old 03-22-2014
seyyaHH

Güzel canlılar tebrikler.

Congratulations beautiful creatures. )

Last edited by seyyaHH; 03-23-2014 at 06:52 AM.