Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 06-16-2010
troph56

::Profile::
Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I always try to clean my aquarium glass as carefully as possible to avoid scratching the glass. I have recently switched the type of pad I use to blue so I could see any sand in the pad before I swipe my glass for algae , to my dismay it seems like I still end up with some fine scratches no matter how careful I think I'm being. I am beginning to think it might be coming down to the quality of the glass that my tank has been built with. I know it may seem a bit fussy but I like my tank glass nice and clean and not all scratched up when I'n viewing my fish. Anyway my tank is an Aqueon and I'm just wondering if there are tanks built with varying degrees of glass quality. I've always preferred glass to plexi for this reason however my old plexi tank seemed to handle cleaning better than this newer tank has so far.
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
Old 06-16-2010
JkdJedi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(troph69 @ Jun 15 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
I always try to clean my aquarium glass as carefully as possible to avoid scratching the glass. I have recently switched the type of pad I use to blue so I could see any sand in the pad before I swipe my glass for algae , to my dismay it seems like I still end up with some fine scratches no matter how careful I think I'm being. I am beginning to think it might be coming down to the quality of the glass that my tank has been built with. I know it may seem a bit fussy but I like my tank glass nice and clean and not all scratched up when I'n viewing my fish. Anyway my tank is an Aqueon and I'm just wondering if there are tanks built with varying degrees of glass quality. I've always preferred glass to plexi for this reason however my old plexi tank seemed to handle cleaning better than this newer tank has so far.[/b]
Yup, one of the downsides of keeping sand in your tank, Once you figured out where the scratches are coming from it's to late. I use the blue filter floss too and I have to shake that thing before each swipe on it's algae removing duties. My tanks' pretty old and it looks like the surface of a dance floor after a new years party. If you angle your lights right most of the scratches disappear. (low light output and more to the back)
Old 06-16-2010
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2010
mmillerr

I know 'Starphire' glass is marketed for it's lack of color and appearance but does anyone here know if it is any more or less prone to scratching like this?

Mark