Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 11-26-2014
Yel

::Profile::
Keeping: Red Rainbows
Default Help...one month without water change?

Hi guys,
I need some help/advise.
Me and my family will take a one month vacation and I wonder if my trophs (red rainbow) will survive for one month without water change. The original plan is my friend (also a tropheus keeper) will come to feed and do wc but for some reasons he can't do it anymore. I will use an automatic feeder but I'm concern about water quality. There are 36 trophs about 6 months old in a 5 footer 120G tank filtered by two Eheim Pro3 2075 rated @ 160 gallon each.
The thread I posted of the colony is located here

Every week my neighbor will come to top up the feeder but he knows nothing about fishkeeping and he told me that is the only thing he can do while I'm away.

Please let me know what are the things I need to do before I go.

Thanks,
Yel
90G- Discus
Old 11-26-2014
Mastiffman

You could setup a quick drip system and ask the daily feeder to add stress coat to the tank once a day of the premeasured amount. All you'd need is a line tap valve from a local sink cold water supply line and a drip valve that dripped between .4- .45 gallons per hour. And a simple Overflow made from 2" PVC Pipe and Cap one end, PVC-T and Hose running to a drain in the house lower than the tank and a Siphon hos that sits in the tank and also into the reservour.

This would equal a 50% water change roughly, per week. Problem solved. You'd just have to get you fish used to not have salt or anything other than dechlorinator in the water.

Heres and example. it's a little more excessive than needed... but you can get the basic idea.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ge-system.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiffman For This Useful Post:
Yel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
geniusvsinsanity

I am not familiar with Canada, but you might want to check locally with any reef or saltwater LFS. Many of them here offer maintenance/service packages for reef systems. While clearly you don't need that, a water change is well within their capabilities and most of them should be licensed and insured to be in your home when you're gone. If they don't personally offer a service like that on a professional level, depending on the store and your relationship with the staff/owners they may be able to help you out and do it for a fee of some kind as a one time or special occasion type of thing or point you in the direction of someone that does offer those services?
The Following User Says Thank You to geniusvsinsanity For This Useful Post:
Yel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I actually think you could be just fine if you just take some precautions. First and foremost do a BIG water change prior to leaving, maybe a day before you are leaving so you can see that everything is as it should be. Next be sure you reduce the amount of food you are feeding, our fish can go a week or more without food if necessary so just reducing the amount of their food intake should not really be an issue. If it were me I would reduce feedings to once a day and the rest of the time they can graze off rocks or glass naturally. I think that reducing food is very important as it will also reduce the fish waste. These are also young Tropheus so feeding a little less should not have a huge impact.
This is only my opinion but I hope the info will help. I like things to be as simple as possible and I have had to use my own advice before and I had no problems whatsoever. Be very very careful with neighbors feeding your Tropheus !
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
The Following User Says Thank You to troph56 For This Useful Post:
Yel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
Mastiffman

Defintely want to make sure that the person doing to feeding or replenishing of the autofeeder is not overfeeding....

Might be best to walk them through the process using a measuring spoon.
Old 11-26-2014
noddy

Feed a small amount once every other day and clean out your filters before you go. When I go away for two weeks, I don't feed at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to noddy For This Useful Post:
Yel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
tom_patriot

Also want to warn about a neighbor feeding them. Tropheus always look and act hungry. You will definitely have to watch them feed before you go and make sure they understand that less is more - always underfeed vs overfeed. Make sure to stress that when they act hungry, it is normal and healthy for them..........Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tom_patriot For This Useful Post:
Yel (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014
playtime

Keeping: moori mbita'ikola'illangi'
Send a message via MSN to playtime Send a message via Yahoo to playtime

Where do u live I may be able to help u out if u are close
Old 11-26-2014
Yel

Thank you guys for your reply.
Andrew, I don't think I can do the drip system because I'm afraid that if the siphon breaks, nobody will see that my tank is overflowing and it will be a big mess.

Is it ok to feed them weekly? My neighbor will come every 5 to 6 days to check my place and will just give him instructions how much food to give. Or I will set the feeder once a day with very little food. I don't have much rock (just a few flat rocks) so there's not much algae to graze. There's no setting for the feeder to do it every other day, it is an "Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder" that releases food everyday (minimum once a day). I will do a big water change the night before leaving.

Sold my discus colony because I know there's no way they will survive for a month without water change. I have other tanks, frontosa and african cichlids and will follow whatever decision I made with the trophs.

Thanks again,
Yel
90G- Discus
Old 11-26-2014
Yel

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtime View Post
Where do u live I may be able to help u out if u are close
Thank you for your offer to help, I'm from Toronto.
90G- Discus
The Following User Says Thank You to Yel For This Useful Post:
playtime (11-28-2014)