Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > General Aquaria Forums > General Aquaria

Notices

General Aquaria Discussion for general topics of aquaria.

Old 03-14-2014
JimA

::Profile::
Keeping: Red Rainbows inda house
Default Coudy water

Driving me crazy, showed up about a month ago, when ever I do a water change the tank goes cloudy and never fully recovers by the time my next water change is due. It use to do that before but would be clear in a day. Nitrates are always sitting at 10 to 20ppm fish are fine and eating well. I usually feed twice a day a tbsp. each time. I dedicated one aquatop 400 with filterfloss the other 400 is loaded with matrix and 1 coarse pad and one blue/whit filter pad. The FX 5 has matrix with carbon in the lower tray, mid tray is matrix with filter pad on top, top tray has matrix with 2 pads on top. Couple pics for you, like I mentioned it clears up but never fully then the next water change it starts over again.

Front view not bad but not clear..

From the end

Closer up.

I first thought maybe the tank crashed but it should have recovered by now, and I cant see it crashing with every waterchange. I checked for any dead fish and didn't find any, I don't know maybe by bio isn't keeping up with the fish getting bigger?

I do need to change the filter on my water treatment system, I suppose could be the cause the still the tank should clear up sooner.. Another thought was I am getting air in through the canister so maybe causing micro bubbles. I don't know scratching my head

Any thoughts, and thanks!
Old 03-14-2014
ExReefer

What kind of substate are you using? If it is CaribSea Aragonite then that could be the problem. I know that stuff made my tank cloudy for far longer than I would have preferred.

However, if the water was once clear and you have a different problem. It could very well be mini-cycles. Are you rinsing any of the bio in your filters with tap water or changing large amount of it out? Tell us how you maintain your filters.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExReefer For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
swk

It could just be as simple as a bacterial bloom because of your water change.

How much water are you changing at one time? Large WC's can easily trigger these kind of events. Also, my tap water in the winter holds a tremendous amount of gas compared to the spring and summer months. Could that be contributing as well?

Also, what kinds of food are your staples?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
noddy

It looks like tiny air bobbles from the pic. I can't think what else it might be.
The Following User Says Thank You to noddy For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
JimA

I was changing around 30 to 40% once a week. On Tuesday I did a 75% change to see if that made any difference and it did not. The substrate argo seaflore blend has been in there at least 4 or 5 months so I am not thinking it's that.. As far as the cans go I do the 2 400s every 2 weeks, rinse pads in tank water in the bucket. I change the pads around every 3rd time or so. I rinse the media in tank water at the one month mark.
Same with the FX5 I clean it at opposite times of the other 2. Food is a good pellet can't remember the brand. Tank does smell normal.. Like mentioned it could be the water coming in just never had it happen since running a tank, once in awhile but never this consistent..
Old 03-14-2014
ExReefer

I would not touch the filters for a month at a minimum and see if it clears up. My feeling is you are cleaning the filters too often. And try 20-30% water changes for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExReefer For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
JimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExReefer View Post
I would not touch the filters for a month at a minimum and see if it clears up. My feeling is you are cleaning the filters too often. And try 20-30% water changes for a while.
Will do!!
Old 03-14-2014
swk

Good advice by ex reefer. Maybe the large water changes are stressing the bacteria in conjunction with the filter cleanings
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
JimA (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Thats why I love K1 media!
Old 03-14-2014
1971ls6

Keeping: Ikola, kasanga, Maswa

Go out and buy some Acurel F, do not overdose, it will turn the water cloudy for an hour and then it turns crystal clear, amazing product without killing the bio, this will tell you if it a bacterial bloom or substrate fine particles. Try a diatom filter if you have one.
JimA (03-15-2014)