Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk

Notices

Tropheus Talk Discussion of Tropheus in general.

Old 11-19-2013
vecton

::Profile::
Keeping: nil at presant
Default water

hi all I want to try to keep rr would ro water or tap water be the best from what iv read some say you can use tap with declor or ro with salts added back in ???sump fiter and tank 5/2/20 about 100gal give or take..cheers for any help..vecton...
Old 11-19-2013
GMfrontosa
Site Advisor

Keeping: Nothing at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecton View Post
hi all I want to try to keep rr would ro water or tap water be the best from what iv read some say you can use tap with declor or ro with salts added back in ???sump fiter and tank 5/2/20 about 100gal give or take..cheers for any help..vecton...
hey mate, for me i just use the water right out of the tap and of course with dechlorine(Seachem Safe/API Stress Coat Water Conditoner)..My tap has 8.0ph so i don't add any ph buffer like seachem..However, I use the Seachem Salt and I'm not exactly sure if it works or not but I just want to replicate the water in the Rift Lake as close as possible...
Old 11-19-2013
dahling

Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

What are your water parameters out of the tap? If you're dealing with ammonia and/or high nitrates, r/o is probably your best choice. All things being equal, I'd much rather use tap water - especially if the readings are suitable for tropheus without further amendments.
Old 11-19-2013
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahling View Post
What are your water parameters out of the tap? If you're dealing with ammonia and/or high nitrates, r/o is probably your best choice. All things being equal, I'd much rather use tap water - especially if the readings are suitable for tropheus without further amendments.
+1. You really need to know what's coming out of the tap first and then go from there. At our old house I used to use all r/o water and then add minerals back in, but after the move I stopped doing that and it's been much easier. I now just "tweak" what I have coming out of the tap (I'm currently using Kent Cichlid buffer and chemistry, but baking soda and epsom salt is probably what I'll be going with in the future).

Honestly, with the Trophs I think I would have had a hard time keeping up with only using r/o with the weekly 50% + water changes. We're pretty lucky where we live - our nitrates coming out of the tap are "0". I've seen folks state that their water has ~ 40 ppm nitrates or have other issues, and in those cases you'd really have to lower it in some way with r/o probably being the best way to go.

If I ever hooked up another r/o unit, I'd probably still use it to top off evaporation losses, though.