Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 11-03-2013
dahling

::Profile::
Keeping: Kasanga, Mpulungu

With those numbers, you'd be fine for a discus tank. Discus are fairly tolerant of water parameters as long as they're consistent. Near zero nitrates is a huge bonus.

Just a matter of deciding whether you want au naturel or manmade. I like traditional strains like alenquers, red spotted greens, turquoise. Discus Hans brings in discus from Stendker (Germany), IIRC their water is quite hard and they do fine. A good place for turquoise strains and some wilds with distributors through the US. If you like albinos, spotted, leopards and other patterns, shapes and colours, Asian breeders are better for that.

This might give you some ideas:

http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/index.php
Old 11-03-2013
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
After allowing water to sit out for 24 hours.

pH 7.6-7.8

GH - it took 2 drops to change the color. 2 x 20 = 40 ppm

KH - it took 4 drops to change the color. 4 x 10 = 40 ppm

Now the instructions say:

" Multiply GH or KH (mg/L CaC03) by 0.056 = dH degrees or /ou/o/ gH degrees".

2.8 GH degrees

and 2.8 degrees KH

Soooooo I guess Im not going to be keeping tropheus on straight tap water?

I tested it all back in the day and made my recipe that I use now and it clearly works great and puts my numbers right where I want them for the tropheus.

However, even though I knew they were low, I was hoping to come back and test the water again and find that it might just be within range of being able to eliminate the buffers.

Doesnt look like it.

Anyway, My gh is pretty soft. So Im thinking I could do a discus tank?

Or I could set up an auto system as long as I figured out how to get buffers into the tank.

Thats my last barrier.

Anyway, tell me you thoughts on those numbers above
I thought that for each Degree of hardness for both, it's 17.9ppm? I have an API Liquid test kit for Gh and Kh... IDO...

Either way, I think you definitely need to buffer your water for longevity of your Colonies.

I also think that you could achieve consistent water parameters with a drip system with your tap conditions. But it would take two reservoirs. Fill both, use power head on both and a buffering substrate in both.

let them both buffer up. then start a drip into the tank on one and leave the other buffering. When that first Reservoir gets low, flip a valve to start the drip for the full and fully buffered alternate and fill the other reservoir so that it can buffer up. Once second tank is close to empty, flip valve and repeat... You could even calculate it all out and put a motorized valve and timer on the system as well as reliable float valves for the reservoirs and auto feeder water conditioners. As long the Timers and electronic aren't bought on the cheap, it should be a reliable system. With check ups of course...

Last edited by Mastiffman; 11-03-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Yeah.

Iv also thought about a large reservoir that I just filled and added buffer to.

when It got half way down, just add water that has run through the carbon bottle and the right amount of buffer for the missing water that is being added back.

Anyway, with 55 gal barrels being the likely reservoir choice, that still leaves me filling and mixing water every week or more.

But it would deliver it at a constant rate, so there is some benefit.

And I wouldn't have to drain the tank. Another plus.

Or heat the water.

Just refill the drum. Only reason you cant use a float valve is....the stupid buffers.

And monthly vacuuming...regardless.

Anyway, that kinda blows the goats out of the idea of it being hard tapped and running through a carbon filter.

I'm thinking a small concentrated buffer tank that is dripped in like a saltwater set up is the ticket. Maybe a 20 gal tank with a weeks worth of buffer and precise dosing pump.

Those dosing pumps are set up to handle very heavily concentrated salt water..so this would be a perfect application.

Anyway, May just go the other way and do a discuss tank...There is a whole world of learning in that as well.

Anyway...just collectively dreaming at the moment.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013
TroPhish

Keeping: Tropheus moorii 'Kasnaga' & Tropheus duboisi 'Maswa'

Well...I have begun an experiment.

I cant give details other than it involves tropheus and my tap water.

Ill report back!

John