Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Tropheus Tanks & Equipment Discussion of tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 10-07-2014
ms1tx

::Profile::
Keeping: Kalemie,Bulu Point,Lueba,Kasanga
Default Hydro sponge filter

If using a hydro sponge filters do you get better beneficial bacteria growth using just an airline or by using a powerhead. It just seems to me that a single airline doesn't generate enough suction for say the hydroV sponge filter to beneficial bacteria.
Old 10-07-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1tx View Post
If using a hydro sponge filters do you get better beneficial bacteria growth using just an airline or by using a powerhead. It just seems to me that a single airline doesn't generate enough suction for say the hydroV sponge filter to beneficial bacteria.
Honestly I think that its all about the BB in the tank and Bio- Load. Personally I like powerheads on my HS filters. I double stack mine, add a base and slap a clear tube on the top to link it to the powerhead base as fry swim to close and get sucked in to it.

But I also like to seed these new sponges first in a healthy tank for at least a couple few weeks or rinse out a sponge filter from a healthy established tank in the new one so that the BB gets stuck right on to the new sponge.

I like the powerhead idea as it creates a nice current in the tank when aim on am angle which helps to lift waste into the water column and onto the filter.
Old 10-07-2014
ms1tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Honestly I think that its all about the BB in the tank and Bio- Load. Personally I like powerheads on my HS filters. I double stack mine, add a base and slap a clear tube on the top to link it to the powerhead base as fry swim to close and get sucked in to it.

But I also like to seed these new sponges first in a healthy tank for at least a couple few weeks or rinse out a sponge filter from a healthy established tank in the new one so that the BB gets stuck right on to the new sponge.

I like the powerhead idea as it creates a nice current in the tank when aim on am angle which helps to lift waste into the water column and onto the filter.
Ok, thanks. I have one set up on a 55 that I've been using with a powerhead. Just didn't know if i was missing something being that I've seen alot of pics and videos with just an airline.
Old 10-07-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

It depends on how big your air pump is too, some hobbyists are using inline air pumps and vane axial blowers. You still use regular airline with these larger pumps which can deliver a lot more air then your typical whisper pump can.

I am using a blower and my water looks like it is on a full boil. But on tanks where I don't use air I do use powerheads on sponge filters.

Sponge filters are amazing it is just a shame they look so bad. I always try to find a big castle to cover them up! Sponge filters won't pick up the big chunks, so its nice to compliment it with some type of mechanical filtration as well.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
The Following User Says Thank You to Pam Chin For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I have one set up on a 55 that I've been using with a powerhead. Just didn't know if i was missing something being that I've seen alot of pics and videos with just an airline.
Nope, I think that you are good to go. As long as there aren't any stagnant areas of water you're good and that won't happen with a Power head and Only with lower powered small air pumps.

Like Pam said people using those Blower Style or large Linear Pumps won't have any issues with that. They make a lot of sense too if one has a lot of tanks running. If I ever get to that point I would definitely have a central Air system.

Pam, do you use just one of those for you whole fish house or do you have multiple?
Old 10-08-2014
Pam Chin
Trophs.com Ambassador

Mastiff,

Yes, I have one 1.5 hp blower that runs all the tanks in the fish house. I have a menchanical room on the side of the fish house, so the blower is not inside the fish house. They can be a little noisy, but having it contained outside the building you only hear the water churning inside the fish house.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Old 10-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Chin View Post
Mastiff,

Yes, I have one 1.5 hp blower that runs all the tanks in the fish house. I have a menchanical room on the side of the fish house, so the blower is not inside the fish house. They can be a little noisy, but having it contained outside the building you only hear the water churning inside the fish house.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Nice. I like that! That makes sense.

Yeah I've heard some that are high pitched whistlers.
Old 10-08-2014
ms1tx

Thanks for the responses. So I have another question. Does it matter what size powerhead you use on your sponge filter? If I remember reading correctly the flow rate has to be slow enough for the beneficial bacteria to break down nitrates.
Old 10-08-2014
Mastiffman

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. So I have another question. Does it matter what size powerhead you use on your sponge filter? If I remember reading correctly the flow rate has to be slow enough for the beneficial bacteria to break down nitrates.
That's a good question Miguel!

You are right. There is a maximum rate that the water can flow over the BB before it affects the breakdown. Not realy sure what the rate is but all that needs to take place is that with faster flow rates over the BB the water will have to make more passes over it. But that will happen anyhow at higher flow rates. So I think that it basically balances out.

-Faster flow rates require more passes over the BB
-Slower flow rates requires less passes over the BB

Makes sense?

I have always used Aqua clear 70 power heads or smaller on anything from a Hydro Sponge 2,3,4 and 5 with great filtration. Not sure about Other Power heads but the Aquaclears have a flow rate lever to slow or maximize the flow as well as reverse the flow. They are only a few watts to run as well. Maybe like 8-10 watts IIRC.

The rating for tank sizes on the hydro-sponges are as follows but I didn't see a max flow for them.

-HS 2= 20g tank
-HS 3= 40g tank
-HS 4= 80g tank
-HS 5= 125g tank

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2014
ms1tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
That's a good question Miguel!

You are right. There is a maximum rate that the water can flow over the BB before it affects the breakdown. Not realy sure what the rate is but all that needs to take place is that with faster flow rates over the BB the water will have to make more passes over it. But that will happen anyhow at higher flow rates. So I think that it basically balances out.

-Faster flow rates require more passes over the BB
-Slower flow rates requires less passes over the BB

Makes sense?

I have always used Aqua clear 70 power heads or smaller on anything from a Hydro Sponge 2,3,4 and 5 with great filtration. Not sure about Other Power heads but the Aquaclears have a flow rate lever to slow or maximize the flow as well as reverse the flow. They are only a few watts to run as well. Maybe like 8-10 watts IIRC.

The rating for tank sizes on the hydro-sponges are as follows but I didn't see a max flow for them.

-HS 2= 20g tank
-HS 3= 40g tank
-HS 4= 80g tank
-HS 5= 125g tank

Hope this helps.
Got it. Its funny you mentioned the aquaclear powerheads as those were the ones i was looking into. Just didn't know what size I should get for my sponge filter. Thanks buddy and thanks Pam for the feedback