Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Talk > Tropheus Reference

Notices

Tropheus Reference NEW Share and discuss news, studies and other scientific information.

Old 04-07-2009
gernot

::Profile::

Another study. Very scientific :blink:

Colour-assortative mating
Old 04-07-2009
Mr. Johnson

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Johnson

Nice article. Read it over and over and it's been published for a while now. I wonder if the conclusion would still hold true b/c for sure we see cross breeding in our tanks.

Coolest info:

"In June 1998, local fishermen collected about 300 adult individuals of T. moorii from several sites in the southern part of the lake, with the intention of exporting these colourful fishes for the aquarium trade. Owing to the fact that the fishing was carried out without concession, Zambian authorities refused export permits. Instead of returning the fishes to their original habitats, as instructed by the local authorities, the catch was released in a small harbour basin of not more than 200m<sup>2</sup> in size in front of the Fisheries Department in Mpulungu, Zambia (L. Mwape 1999, personal communication)."

Summary of article: females are picky. Guess their a lot like humans.
Old 04-07-2009
billansor

Send a message via Yahoo to billansor

A person can get a headache reading and reading and looking up terms.
The variables in all of the selection process is quite specific in having available colonies of one color/location genera...

So, a question then...... With all the importing going on out of the lake and not pond raised... Then are not the colonies dwindling to where at a point the genetic material may no longer be sufficient to maintain that color/location type colony.

Are we then not killing and destroying the very specific variants that we try so hard to maintain purity with??

In Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming and South Dakota there was a critter called Black foot ferret. They have become extinct (Kinda) they found one colony left and are trying to work to restore..

In Minnesota on Madeline Island, there are two (used to be three) wolf herds that has not had the opportunity to have other mix of wolves over the last several decades to breed with.. Now the wolves are showing signs (some cases major) of deformity......

So Again, the issues are wild caught destroying the lake's fish ability to maintain a congruous colony with dwindling numbers of the 'gold' wild caught????

Hmmmmm

My two bits
Bill
Old 04-07-2009
gernot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billansor @ Apr 7 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Are we then not killing and destroying the very specific variants that we try so hard to maintain purity with??[/b]
yes we certainly do. i spoke with an importer on saturday and he said that it's pretty obvious that the colonies in some areas are getting smaller every year he goes down to the lake. maybe it will reach the point when fishing for WC is getting too difficult and time consuming and the price will therefore go up to a level that would force people think twice before buying a WC.

rgds
gernot