Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Tropheus Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Tropheus diseases, general health, nutrition and water conditions.

Old 04-16-2014
coolcichlids80

::Profile::
Keeping: Chaitika Blue Rainbow, Bulu Point Cherry Spot
Default spirulina 20 ?

Does anyone use or have used Spirulina 20 for their Trophs?, I'm just trying to see what food I can stick with as a staple, because I have a few too many foods and want to see what will be best for my Tropheus. I have spirulina 20, nls cichlid formula 1mm, nls grow.5mm, Hikari sinking cichlid excel. They eat all of them but not to crazy or fast enough, specially the flake.
I would like them to get use to flake just in case I ever have to feed the kens metro flake. Which I also have on hand. I have enough food to last me over a year, but I'm willing to try something else.
Old 04-16-2014
kyfront33

Keeping: More then I should be

They will eat the Metro flake from Kens. Its coated in garlic. and they cant resist garlic..
The Following User Says Thank You to kyfront33 For This Useful Post:
coolcichlids80 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014
CiscoKid

Keeping: Maswa, considering other colonies

I agree - I don't think you have to "pre-condition" the Trophs to eat Ken's Metro flake. That being said, I do like Spirulina 20 - It's one of the foods that my Trophs get fairly regularly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CiscoKid For This Useful Post:
coolcichlids80 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-17-2014
troph56

Keeping: Ilangi - Duboisii Maswa

I would recommend using Kens Tropheus lovers flake for everyday use. The Metro flakes are meant for a specific reason such as with new or possibly sick fish. If you use the Metro flakes as a daily staple you will in time ruin its effectiveness for treating disease. No medicine that is meant to treat disease will keep its effectiveness if used when not needed. I would say once in awhile would be okay if you suspect there is an actual problem.

Just my own humble opinion. But if you take the time to look at human medications you will notice that some are increasingly loosing their effectiveness and then we get stuck with those darn super bugs that nothing can cure (00)
Ikola
Kasakalawe
Lufubu
Pemba
Katoto
Brichardi Katonga
Kiriza Gold
Petrochromis Red Bulu Point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troph56 For This Useful Post:
coolcichlids80 (04-17-2014), Vman (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014
coolcichlids80

Quote:
Originally Posted by troph56 View Post
I would recommend using Kens Tropheus lovers flake for everyday use. The Metro flakes are meant for a specific reason such as with new or possibly sick fish. If you use the Metro flakes as a daily staple you will in time ruin its effectiveness for treating disease. No medicine that is meant to treat disease will keep its effectiveness if used when not needed. I would say once in awhile would be okay if you suspect there is an actual problem.

Just my own humble opinion. But if you take the time to look at human medications you will notice that some are increasingly loosing their effectiveness and then we get stuck with those darn super bugs that nothing can cure (00)
what I meant in my post was that I have Metro flakes on hand, just in case I need it, not that I'm using it as a staple. I have spirulina 20 flake and I wanted to keep them on a flake food, just so they know what flake food is, in case I have to feed them metro flake. I will try Kens Tropheus lovers flake once I run out of the spirulina 20 that I'm feeding now.
Thanks Troph56
Old 04-18-2014
Vman

Keeping: Kasanga

I agree with Troph 56.Yiu can build up immunity to metro. You can buy the regular flake from Ken's as well though.
Old 04-19-2014
coolcichlids80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I agree with Troph 56.Yiu can build up immunity to metro. You can buy the regular flake from Ken's as well though.
Vman, like i said to Troph 56 I'm not feeding Metro flakes at all, I just said that I have on hand, just in case I need it.