Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Trophs.com > Tropheus Forums > Tropheus Photo Gallery Discussion > Tropheus Video Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2014
ger310

::Profile::
Default Tropheus Duboisi 'Maswa' juveniles

Hi,after hovering the forum for a good while i introduced myself last week,and here is a video of tank and fish.

Any suggestions/criticism on stone decor etc. much appreciated

Ger

Last edited by Mastiffman; 10-23-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: removed the "s" from "https" to fix the video link...
Old 06-11-2014
jakescichlids

Keeping: F1 Green Muragos, F1 Kiriza, WC Red Rainbows

Very nice. Fish look happy, love the eel!
The Following User Says Thank You to jakescichlids For This Useful Post:
ger310 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014
Troyale

Keeping: WC Nkonde, F1 Red Ndole, WC/F1 Bulu Point

Your fish look nice. Decor is really personal preference, but my thoughts are there are too many rocks. With that amount of rocks you will have lots of detritus/poop hidden under your rocks which will raise you nitrates. Also during maintenance it would be tedious to move all the rocks and then rescape. I would suggest two to three rock formations or a scape with the rocks spread across the tank with more substrate showing. Jmo
The Following User Says Thank You to Troyale For This Useful Post:
ger310 (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014
dannyt

Keeping: 72 gal bowfront 22 F1 Mpulungu are in da house!!

Looks great mate! I do agree w Troyale on the issue with detrius build up. You maybe able to direct you water flow in such a way thru the larger pile at the back to bring the solid waste out to collect on open substrate to make siphoning off easier. I love granite piles too. Have em in my set up if yiu wanna check it out in the photo gallery. Titled F2 Chipimbi.
I lived in Sandymount in Dublin in 99'. Worked and travelled Ireland for 7 months. Beautiful country!
God bless ya.
Danny
Old 06-11-2014
ger310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescichlids View Post
Very nice. Fish look happy, love the eel!
Cheers dude,that was a total fluke with the eel swimming by........There's two of them in there and to see one of them swimming like that during the day or with lights on is rare.........It's like he knew the camera was out and he was going to be the star of the show!! lol

Ger
Old 06-11-2014
ger310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyale View Post
Your fish look nice. Decor is really personal preference, but my thoughts are there are too many rocks. With that amount of rocks you will have lots of detritus/poop hidden under your rocks which will raise you nitrates. Also during maintenance it would be tedious to move all the rocks and then rescape. I would suggest two to three rock formations or a scape with the rocks spread across the tank with more substrate showing. Jmo
Thanks for the reply.......i'm not too worried about detritus/poop in or around the rocks to be honest......i know how clustered it looks in the video but there is a gap between each stone that the two eel i have glide in and out off especially at night that disturb anything that is sitting on the substrate.......also on top of an FX6 filter i have running on the tank i also have a wavemaker at the other end of the tank from the filter outlet that is giving really good flow in the tank,so i cant really see any 'dead' spots in there.

i might take a few stones out tomorrow and see how she looks though so cheers for the suggestion.

Ger
Old 06-11-2014
ger310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Looks great mate! I do agree w Troyale on the issue with detrius build up. You maybe able to direct you water flow in such a way thru the larger pile at the back to bring the solid waste out to collect on open substrate to make siphoning off easier. I love granite piles too. Have em in my set up if yiu wanna check it out in the photo gallery. Titled F2 Chipimbi.
I lived in Sandymount in Dublin in 99'. Worked and travelled Ireland for 7 months. Beautiful country!
God bless ya.
Danny
Nice one Danny........Sandymount is a lovely part of Dublin......i'm over on the realside myself (sorry that should of said 'Northside' ha) and i dont get over to the south of the city as often as i would like..........I dont know if you have being back here at all since 99' but it's a different city these days for the better.......we are a very cosmopolitan and confident city at the moment but we still have a certain charm

I checked out your Chipimbi video and the fish look really good (from my very limited knowledge of Tropheus!!)........very simple set up aswell that really looks the bizz,and also makes me think i might of gone a little overboard with the amount of stones i used in my tank!! hmmm

Ger
The Following User Says Thank You to ger310 For This Useful Post:
dannyt (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014
dannyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger310 View Post
Nice one Danny........Sandymount is a lovely part of Dublin......i'm over on the realside myself (sorry that should of said 'Northside' ha) and i dont get over to the south of the city as often as i would like..........I dont know if you have being back here at all since 99' but it's a different city these days for the better.......we are a very cosmopolitan and confident city at the moment but we still have a certain charm

I checked out your Chipimbi video and the fish look really good (from my very limited knowledge of Tropheus!!)........very simple set up aswell that really looks the bizz,and also makes me think i might of gone a little overboard with the amount of stones i used in my tank!! hmmm

Ger
Thx Ger...

I'll also lived right by the big Gaelic football stadium a for a spell, Croke Park.

I really love your rock scape. In the lake they liveand graze amongst the boulder piles. If you keep an eye on things to be sure you don't get solid waste build up you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on your nitrates and do weekly 50% water changes. Troph's love nice clean water and stability in the water chemistry, especially for wild caught & F1's.

Also I tend to feed on the light side rather than have big fat fish. This also helps keep the water chemistry under better control and happy healthy troph's. Some people feed more heavilytogrow their troph's up faster but it doesn't take much to over feed with the end result being poor water quality and stress related sickness such as bloat. My policy is steady as she goes as it is better to be safe than sorry. I learned once the hard way and lost a group of F1 red rainbow juvies.

Right so then lad, I'll catch ya round then,

Danny
Old 06-14-2014
dannyt

Hey Ger what species of eel is that? Very cool lookin fella...
Old 06-16-2014
ger310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
Thx Ger...

I'll also lived right by the big Gaelic football stadium a for a spell, Croke Park.

I really love your rock scape. In the lake they liveand graze amongst the boulder piles. If you keep an eye on things to be sure you don't get solid waste build up you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on your nitrates and do weekly 50% water changes. Troph's love nice clean water and stability in the water chemistry, especially for wild caught & F1's.

Also I tend to feed on the light side rather than have big fat fish. This also helps keep the water chemistry under better control and happy healthy troph's. Some people feed more heavilytogrow their troph's up faster but it doesn't take much to over feed with the end result being poor water quality and stress related sickness such as bloat. My policy is steady as she goes as it is better to be safe than sorry. I learned once the hard way and lost a group of F1 red rainbow juvies.

Right so then lad, I'll catch ya round then,

Danny
Ah now Croke park,that's more like it

Ah yeh they would be very much like Mbuna's that i kept for a good while in that they are Herbivores,bloat can be an issue(unless you get the diet right from the start and stick to it) and that they love and need massive fresh water changes weekly.........i have a system of feeding,water changes etc. that i always stick to whether it be Tropheus,Malawi's,Apisto's,Angel's or whatever i keep and so far so good

I took a few stones out the other day but it then looked a bit too patchy and not right at all to me so i put them back in!!
The stones at the back were bugging me from when i put them in but i think it might be because they are only in there maybe two weeks and look 'new' as oppose to the one's on the substrate that are in there a couple of months and have plenty of algae growth on them........hmm i give it another little while before i dismantle them!!!

The two eel that i have are both Mastacembelus plagiostoma and are a bundle of energy.........ehh once night hits!!

Ger
The Following User Says Thank You to ger310 For This Useful Post:
dannyt (06-16-2014)